Tool for fixing dented heater tube at the firewall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hogan

Three on the Tree
SILVER Star
Threads
Is there a tool for fixing flattened heat tube?

Thanks

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

MAYBE a tapered brass punch, with a little heat from a propane torch. Not sure I've ever seen nor heard of a tool to do this specifically.

Try to find or make a set of slightly tapered rods, start small and work up to the same (or just under) as the ID of the nipple. Slowly work it into the nipple while using a split collar with the same ID as the OD of the nipple over top of the dent. The split collar will hold it round while you work the dent out. Use something to lube the drift/punch/rod. Go slow.

Similar dent pro tip. Put a slight bend in the end of a piece of 1/4" rod and thoroughly round the end and work our the wrinkle(s) from the inside against a piece of wood. You can try a piece of 3/8" rod if it will fit.

If you can’t find a split collar with a close enough ID, drill a hole in a piece of wood with the correct diameter. Then slice the wood across the hole and use bolts/screws to clamp it around the nipple.

I’ve done this with thin and thick SS tubing for various fixes or custom mods.

Can use a crescent wrench, just takes patience. Somewhere is my old A/C tools have one called a pinch off tool used for checking the operation of check valve on heat pump. GE check valves were designed with a plain section copper tubing that could be pinched and the rounded out again. Also flaring tools will round out tubing as well.

Just bought it, I'll let you know how it works

I guess it depends on how the sizes match up. The tool is sized to swedge open standard copper tube sizes to allow making a joint without a coupling. Your tube could be right in between sizes. I guess you'll know soon enough. Anyway, not that expensive and you'll probably find other uses for it also. Hope it works.

I have also used a flat screwdriver. Used different size to slowly round out the tubing.

I guess it depends on how the sizes match up. The tool is sized to swedge open standard copper tube sizes to allow making a joint without a coupling. Your tube could be right in between sizes. I guess you'll know soon enough. Anyway, not that expensive and you'll probably find other uses for it also. Hope it works.

I have a combination flaring swaging tool. Besides saving the cost of a coupling it was one less joint to leak. The issue is it not designed to swag the tube more than a coupling depth. The issue I see with the one linked is if tool the smaller edge will hit a bend before the section large enough to work can reach the section with the dent.

Just bought it, I'll let you know how it works

Be curious if you end up having to cut this down to make it work. 6 5/16" with the widest section only 5/8" OD. For this tool to work on the larger pipes need a long straight section of pipe.

People who repair instruments use ball bearings.

People who repair instruments use ball bearings.

Would be interested in what instruments and how they use ball bearings? I can see how a ball bearing could be pressed in using a press. I can't figure out how the ball bearing would be removed after with a bend in the tubing.

Find/get old school radiator man. Easier/faster/cheaper

They are getting very hard to find

Be curious if you end up having to cut this down to make it work. 6 5/16" with the widest section only 5/8" OD. For this tool to work on the larger pipes need a long straight section of pipe.

I was thinking I'd need to cut it down.

Yeah, ball bearings 😆

Musical instrument repair video

I think I changed my plan. The dead end lines for the optional rear heater always leaked. So I'm going to try some stainless steel gas line to replace the copper tubes. I think This will work and clean things up a bit. Whish me luck.

0.jpg

20200718_123826.jpg

Well this is what I came up with. I found these elbows a Fleet Farm and the other hose was an extra from my 1987 Mini Truck. I think it turned out ok.

20200917_205342.jpg
20200917_205430.jpg
20200917_205414.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom