Took the FJ to 4 hills (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went for a quick run to the 4 hills area (using the entrance just east of the Believers Center church) with a Jeep Rubicon owner from our church Sunday afternoon. I have to admit I'm pretty impressed with how well the new ride did making it's way up the tougher climbs. It's not a lifted and locked 40, but it made it to the top without any drama and I think impressed the Rubicon owner at the same time.

The Atrac system is pretty amazing and honestly i ended up using that a lot more then the locker. I haven't done the modification that lets you use both at the same time yet, but i suspect that would come in handy on some of the obstacles.

The downside is ground clearance (which it could use a little more of) and visibility. With a 40 it's just so easy to figure out exactly where the wheels are going to be and the sight lines are very clear. With the FJ it's a bit of a guess at all times.

In any case I'm very pleased given that the truck is bone stock as delivered from my dealership (crappy brigstones and all) and it made it to the top as easily as it did. It feels good to get a Toyota off road again... I've got to hook up with you guys for a real run soon.

Last edited:
Nathan,
Michael has been bringing his stock FJC on several trips. He has good tires but no lift and no armour (yet.)

Hope you can make a meeting sometime soon. Watch the schedule for one near you.
-Mike-

Last edited:
Do you mean "Beaver town"? I thought that area had access pretty well cut off.

Do you mean "Beaver town"? I thought that area had access pretty well cut off.

Yep. There is one entrance open just east of The Believer's Center. Otherwise it looks like all the other entrances are gated and closed.

My rig is completely stock, tire and all, but it did pretty well all things considering. If my schedule stays free I am going to try for the rio puerco run this weekend.

I'm gonna try to make it out this weekend. Like Mike said, my FJ is still bone stock with the exception of my tires. I have to say... the tires made a huge difference though. I haven't done anything too extreme, Guaje Canyon being the roughest, but in my limited experience I think it performs pretty well. I'm looking forward to meeting and talking with you on Saturday. My neighbor has an FJ Cruiser... gonna try to drag him along too.

I would love to see these FJC's in action. The cool thing about Rio Puerco is that you can be as mild or wild as you like.

I would love to see these FJC's in action. The cool thing about Rio Puerco is that you can be as mild or wild as you like.

Yeah, we should take advantage of it while we can - I keep hearing rumors that the land owner is going to make a big effort to close it all off. The land owner to the north has already done so.

Would that be better than the Puerco? If they're closing it down maybe we should do that instead...

Would that be better than the Puerco? If they're closing it down maybe we should do that instead...

Nah, the wheeling is much better (and diverse) in the Puerco. Last time I was at BeaverTown (maybe 1999?) we got chased off by some cops looking for a stolen car. I'd assumed that whole area had been developed with cheap tract houses until I saw Nathan's post. It's all really just rutted 2-track and not worth the effort if you get bumped for trespassing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom