Took Rear Bumper Off FJ62 - Anything I should do before mounting new one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jamieson22

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought a new OEM rear bumper along with end caps and new hardware and just got the old one off. I plan to clean the rear crossmember and as much of the frame as I can reach (still has fluid film from last fall), wire wheel any rust, and spray a couple coats of Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Let that cure a couple days them pop the new bumper on. Anything else I should do while it is off or anything you see that is concerning?

I had some issues getting the top two center carriage bolts out. Swivel joint and an extention solved that issue for anyone else less than mechanically included like me.

IMG_7173.jpg

Also, had some issue with bottom bolts. First one spun off pretty easy with just my impact wrench. Next three sucked and no combo of PB blaster, ratchet, breaker bar, or impact did anything but spin the bolt and nut together. Grabbed some supplies today and tried a 17mm box wrench on nut wedged into frame and impact and breaker on bolt but it kept slipping. Finally a ratchet wedged into frame on nut and a ratcheting 18" breaker broke all three bolts with two 1/4" turns on breaker.

IMG_7176.jpg

Think there was any chance ever getting this nut to move?

IMG_7178.jpg

I am always worried about what I may discover when taking anything off my 62 and the shape of these nuts had me worried. Gotta say was pretty happy to see this rear crossmember and rear frame in shape it is.

IMG_7179.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

Here are rest of pics

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7183.jpg

Also took my tow hitch off and planned to have it blasted and powder coated. $120 seem reasonable? Anything new available to replace with? This is a draw-tite 75025.
IMG_7159.jpg

Not sure if anyone is selling new hitches. Get it blasted, and coated, and fill the inside with a couple ounces of ATF after you bolt it on. Most hitches rust from the inside-out over time. You might have to drill a small hole if the hitch tube is sealed.

Not sure if anyone is selling new hitches. Get it blasted, and coated, and fill the inside with a couple ounces of ATF after you bolt it on. Most hitches rust from the inside-out over time. You might have to drill a small hole if the hitch tube is sealed.
Yeah my cross tube is open on ends and hollow and was one of the crustiest spots. Am hoping the power coating will cover the inside and plan to keep it fluid filmed as well.

Powder coating will not coat the inside at all. Fluid film is fine, but it's not runny. ATF (an ounce or two) will slosh around, coat the inside surfaces, and soak into the existing rust.

Should I take this bracket off to get rust reformer paint on the parts currently touching? Also wonder it attaching the bracket to bumper off the truck would make installing the new bumper easier. The top/middle nuts were kind of wonky to reach to remove while on the truck.

ACBE5DFE-3CC6-4E43-B4A3-5AEEE1CD9D94.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom