Too rusty? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum. Have 3rd gen 4Runner right now. Looking to get into an 80 series. I'm in New England so it's slim pickings.

Thoughts on the rust on this? Looks like someone has rattle canned over things. For the most part I have to either buy something a bit crusty or sight unseen.

IMG_4158.PNG

IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

No Issue, Proceed

looks good to me

Looks fine, almost to fine, like someone did a quick black overspray.

Looks fine, almost to fine, like someone did a quick black overspray.
this is what concerns me...

but if the rest of the truck looks good, go for it...

also why reluctant to travel for your cruiser?

this is what concerns me...

but if the rest of the truck looks good, go for it...

also why reluctant to travel for your cruiser?

Most of the clean ones are on the west coast or southwest. Which is all the way across the country for me.

Ive bought several cars cross country. Some sight unseen. A few that I have flown out to see and driven home. Sometimes it works out well. Sometimes not so much.

It's not outside the realm of possibility but it just adds up quickly. Shipping and Flights and pre purchase inspections from shops I've never done business with. Even setting aside the cost, some sellers are leery of cross country buyers, particularly holding a car off the market for someone to fly in or what not when people have cash locally and are ready to buy.

I would agree that it looks like it's been painted. But even so, if it were crusty unerneath, you would see the texture of rust coming through, so i think they just painted as a preventive measure, not to cover up a real problem. That's my opinion based on those few photos, anyway. Cats are aftermarket, exhaust has been replaced.

Obligatory response from someone in NE: What rust?

My response: This 80 is in New England!!! Out of my way!!! I'm going to buy it first!! haha

Surely you must not be from NE to be asking if that is rusty or not?

I would agree that it looks like it's been painted. But even so, if it were crusty unerneath, you would see the texture of rust coming through, so i think they just painted as a preventive measure, not to cover up a real problem. That's my opinion based on those few photos, anyway. Cats are aftermarket, exhaust has been replaced.

Ya. Bosal supposedly. Would prefer OEM but from what I can tell Bosal is decent.

Obligatory response from someone in NE: What rust?

My response: This 80 is in New England!!! Out of my way!!! I'm going to buy it first!! haha

Surely you must not be from NE to be asking if that is rusty or not?

Lol

Just looking for some feedback. I know it's less rusty than my 3rd gen 4R. Hahha

Here is one more that didn't upload

I wouldn't hesitate on that one over rust.

97 Toyota Land Cruiser

This doesn't look like a bad option.

(Not going to steal anything out from under you as I'm pot committed on my own truck)

A little while ago, Cruiserparts had a 1991 diesel for sale for 12 grand

That looks really good for your area. Definitely painted over, but it looks to me the owner has been doing this regularly so it doesn't rust. No way you can hide the pits from the heavy stuff with a little blast of paint. Go get it!

not bad at, obviously resprayed, take a screwdriver to the frame and poke around, see what you come up with.

Check the dog legs at the rear doors, that's where rust really started on mine.

Check the floors. Poke up from the bottom with a screwdriver driver. I'm in New England, found mine for 1500 but it needed work. only rust was on rear hatch. The frames get surface rust but has not seemed to be a problem.

97 Toyota Land Cruiser

This doesn't look like a bad option.

(Not going to steal anything out from under you as I'm pot committed on my own truck)

Thanks for the link. I am looking for something a little cleaner, although that looks like great bang for the buck. I looked at the 91 in Bath this weekend. Completely rust free. Mechanically sound. Cosme

This truck is in the 10k neighborhood. 150k miles. Lockers. Some recent baseline services. I know the rust isn't too bad.

Maybe I'm wondering more if this is good value for money. I see cleaner stuff out west for same money with similar miles but factor in logistics, cost, hassle, shipping. and It's not really the same money anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom