Too old too high (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
65 years old and Recently put an OME 2.5” lift and 33s on the LC and I still have the original running boards. The running boards now seem more difficult to use. I’m 6” and just slide in without using the running boards but I think that will eventually break the seat bolster down. The wife struggles just a bit to climb in using the running boards. Now no jokes about being an old geezer or selling the LC. I’m just looking for advice or opinions on a better step alternative. Are any of the step sliders better positioned to assist with entering? I imagine nothing would be better for climbing in than the original running boards but I thought I would ask.
Thanks

Herret

I was expecting this to be a Keith Richards autobiography. Seriously though, I'm sure you can have someone fab a set of sliders for you with a step loop that's a little lower. There are also bolt on single steps that flip down, but that might be a hassle. On the upper end cost wise, there are aftermarket electric running boards that lower down, but they're >$1K not including install.

I am thinking rail road car options. Find a 1” steel cable that you can cut to desired length. Find the optimal step height for your side and for your brides side based on your range of motion on a bad day. Each side of the top is attached to a pipe with a big set screw holding the cable in it. Bottom is the same with a swing set looking bottom. Kinda like a stirrup.
You can get in the rig and drag the steps over terrain without worry.

Getting old is not for sissy’s. We gotta work smarter and not harder.

With a little practice you can probably figure out a way to use the OEM running boards and grab hand lo es to swing into the drivers seat. You could also add another grab handle above the driver door if that would help. I have it on my 80.

Thanks for the replies. Do any of the available step sliders like Slees provide better options or are the higher still?

Herret

I have an older Slee step slider, I think it is very close to the current design. It is more of a slider than a step, so Factory steps are going to be a bit easier. Do you need higher and further out, lower and further out, or just lower or just higher? I would take some boards and some c-clamps and attach them a few ways to the stock steps and just see what helps and what doesn't. My passenger complains about the hight of mine, but she refuses to use grab handles for whatever reason, so I don't listen to her input. If she attempted to find another way besides the way she used to get out of her old prius then we could have a conversation about it, but until then she can keep getting out like she is getting off the roof using a ladder.

There are folding steps/running boards now, that lower to let you in easy and then tuck up tight.

Another solution might be to get the OME stock height springs and shocks and run the Slee spacer up front to level it out. You could still run the 33's and with the new stock height springs and spacer. This would put you at a good restored height with the look of it being lifted with the spacer and 33's.

Another solution might be to get the OME stock height springs and shocks and run the Slee spacer up front to level it out. You could still run the 33's and with the new stock height springs and spacer. This would put you at a good restored height with the look of it being lifted with the spacer and 33's.

That's a good point. Unless you need the extra clearance of the lift, there's no need to run a lift because of the 33s. They'll run just fine on the OME stock height coils. That'll work if the difference can be satisfied by maybe 3" less step. If you need more than that, then you need a deeper solution, so to speak.

65 years old and Recently put an OME 2.5” lift and 33s on the LC and I still have the original running boards. The running boards now seem more difficult to use. I’m 6” and just slide in without using the running boards but I think that will eventually break the seat bolster down. The wife struggles just a bit to climb in using the running boards. Now no jokes about being an old geezer or selling the LC. I’m just looking for advice or opinions on a better step alternative. Are any of the step sliders better positioned to assist with entering? I imagine nothing would be better for climbing in than the original running boards but I thought I would ask.
Thanks

Herret

If you don't mind having somebody fabricate something for you (or doing it yourself)...
I made step style sliders for my rig out of Trail Gear sliders for a Tacoma. My wife uses them as steps, as does my 5 year old son. I can walk on them when tying down the canoe to the roof. If you get them fabricated yourself, you can set the height and width you want the sliders to be mounted at.

You can see the slider here:

xTAYrxhh.jpg

You can see how far out to the side they extend here:

58Oqx9Fh.jpg

If you want, I can post pictures of the slider unmounted so you can get an idea of the design.

Any of the steps sold by ARB, slee and the like will be either the same or higher up than your stock running boards.

I'm 5'8" and have really short legs for my height. I just use the grab handle to hoist myself in and I generally plop right down into the seat without sliding over the bolster at all. I also have sciatica and a bad hip (insert old man joke here --I'm only 38 by the way). Back when I had running boards, I did use them and found them helpful. Now that they're gone, I just modified the way I climb in and I do not miss them. 3" lift and 35's

Thanks for all the input I figured out a method that works well and creates no abrasion on the seat. Simply stand on the running boards, face away from the seat and sit down. Easy when you figure out the process.

I had some drop steps made from a guy on a Tacoma forum. The are bent tubing with a step that clamps onto the slider tubing. I leave the top cap bolted on the slider and can fasten these on fairly quickly when traveling with the wife who's vertically challenged. 4x bolts and they pop off. I'll see if I can find a pic. I actually still have a pair I'd like to sell. They didn't fit the rear doors due to the kickout on the slider.

Here's a link to my write-up. My pic is broken but the original links are there with detailed pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom