Too much rust on '88 FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, guys

Posting to catch your thoughts on this '88 FJ62. There doesn't seem to be too much under the "bad" category. Seller also sent me photos:

$_57.jpg
$_571.jpg
$_572.jpg
$_573.jpg
$_577.jpg

Will attack interior and potentially worrisome rust spots.

The worrisome rust spots:

rust 01.jpeg
IMG_0088.jpeg
IMG_0095.jpeg
rust last.jpeg

The biggest concern is the last photo of the crack on the inner channel of the frame near the rear of the truck. Not sure if this is superficial or structural. Thoughts?

edit again: far too rusty for $13k. Crack in frame = run away.

Yeah, that is my biggest worry. Tough to say in the photos, but it looks to be *somewhat* near the rear leaf spring bushing. I know that's a common spot for cracks in the frame. My question is whether or not it's on the surface or if you think it's structural?

Yeah, that is my biggest worry. Tough to say in the photos, but it looks to be *somewhat* near the rear leaf spring bushing. I know that's a common spot for cracks in the frame. My question is whether or not it's on the surface or if you think it's structural?

ive bought a s***** 60 before without checking it out in person. Paid far too much because there wasn’t many items in the “bad” list. I can offer 2 pieces of advice regardless if the crack is structural or not.

1. DONT buy a truck without checking it out in person unless you’re very mechanically inclined or have very deep pockets. There will be something wrong with it (most of the time.
2. If I had $13k to spend on another cruiser, I would only buy from a member on here. That’s the only exception I can make to the “don’t buy it without checking it out” rule. Buying cruisers from non-cruiser guys will always lead to heartbreak. In my $10k 60, I found a bar of uncooked ramen noodles hiding next to the engine when I popped the hood. :frown: I know an upstanding MUD member [maybe not ALL of you:flipoff2:] would never have sold me a truck for that price knowing that its been worked on by redneck billy and his cousin sue.
$13k can buy you a good 62. This is not one. IMHO

It's a shame, but it seems eBay has become a sucker-bet category for FJ40s and 60s. I would be super skeptical and investigate in person before bidding. $13K is too much to risk for something you can't examine a lot more closely yourself.

ive bought a s***** 60 before without checking it out in person. Paid far too much because there wasn’t many items in the “bad” list. I can offer 2 pieces of advice regardless if the crack is structural or not.

1. DONT buy a truck without checking it out in person unless you’re very mechanically inclined or have very deep pockets. There will be something wrong with it (most of the time.
2. If I had $13k to spend on another cruiser, I would only buy from a member on here. That’s the only exception I can make to the “don’t buy it without checking it out” rule. Buying cruisers from non-cruiser guys will always lead to heartbreak. In my $10k 60, I found a bar of uncooked ramen noodles hiding next to the engine when I popped the hood. :frown: I know an upstanding MUD member [maybe not ALL of you:flipoff2:] would never have sold me a truck for that price knowing that its been worked on by redneck billy and his cousin sue.
$13k can buy you a good 62. This is not one. IMHO

Thanks for the advice. I've been searching for quite some time, but since I'm in the rust belt, I've had to expand the search. Appreciate the response!

Reactions: MDK
One or two other thoughts (but I concur with the other comments)
In the engine compartment the wheel well is the wrong color and the hood looks way too close to the windshield cowl indicating heavy front end damage.

on the plus side, the frame doesn’t appear to be cracked. The reinforcing beam has rotted away.

BB89172E-3387-44A1-A511-F6A17039E703.jpeg

96C87B4C-B5B2-4A4D-9390-79F4554DA83C.jpeg

2670966E-A6CA-4B3D-A26E-32825A5D9CB5.jpeg

One or two other thoughts (but I concur with the other comments)
In the engine compartment the wheel well is the wrong color and the hood looks way too close to the windshield cowl indicating heavy front end damage.

on the plus side, the frame doesn’t appear to be cracked. The reinforcing beam has rotted away.

Woah, would not have noticed the windshield cowl! I'm in talks with the seller and will ask about this! Same with the coloration of the engine compartment. For the gold/grey, maybe it was a sunny day and it was reflecting from the hood, but I'll have them take a better pic.

Thanks for the sound advice!

That c channel wouldn’t worry me. They’re aren’t many out there now that don’t need the c channels addressed. The frame actually looks pretty good from what little I can see

It looks complete and based on the description (for you to verify) it seems like it runs well. I’d think $8k or less would be a good buy.

And one final note...
They’ve done some good work on this rig (just read the ebay listing). The speedo problem is likely a simple gear issue at the transmission. Seeing as he replaced the cable already its the only logical place.

As for the transmission. The A440f tends to puke in and around the mileage on this truck. Rebuilds are spotty on quality Or wicked expensive.

Like many things market driven the prices will fluctuate. Unfortunately for you the prices of these trucks seems to have risen really high lately.
Look at this listing of a similar truck.
It is in no better shape than the one you are looking at and in fact may be in worse shape yet it is $10K more. The seller will probably get it too. What was probably a $5-6K truck a few years ago has become a $10-15K truck now. The last Beetle I sold 2 years ago netted me $12K. I paid $800 for it. It's all about what the market will bear out. The rule for buying is still the same. Just get the best truck you can for the money.

Thanks for the advice. I've been searching for quite some time, but since I'm in the rust belt, I've had to expand the search. Appreciate the response!

I hate to send any more western-US 'cruisers back east, but you should cast a wide net (and maybe go south) to find a cleaner truck. Check Mud ads, too, as Mud-sellers are somewhat vetted by the appearance of their ad or truck on Mud.

Obviously, frame repairs can be made on that eBay truck, but you'd have to build that into the price you want to pay. At least in Illinois, there will surely be shops that have fixed rusty frames.

I hate to send any more western-US 'cruisers back east, but you should cast a wide net (and maybe go south) to find a cleaner truck. Check Mud ads, too, as Mud-sellers are somewhat vetted by the appearance of their ad or truck on Mud.

Obviously, frame repairs can be made on that eBay truck, but you'd have to build that into the price you want to pay. At least in Illinois, there will surely be shops that have fixed rusty frames.

Yeah, I'm casting my net across the entire US. I check the 60/62 and 80 series Classifieds and Facebook Marketplace every morning. As well as the occasional eBay listing and craigslist. Other than these four, do you have any reco's?

Put a 'wanted' ad in Mud with some specifics - sometimes those will smoke out a reluctant seller. And... be patient. Check lcnation.com and get to know Greg Overton - he knows many people and in a nice guy - he may have some leads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom