Too many tire options, need some real world feedback and ideas. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
94 Triple locked, 5.29's, etc. Currently has 255/85/16's that do ok, but looking for more. I had set of 35/12.50/16 BFG KM3's that I disliked in the snow and ice.
IMG_0357.jpg
I drive it a lot during hunting season here in Montana, and occasionally it gets pretty deep. Steep mountains and slick roads when its crappy out, and long drives on beat/crappy dirt roads at high speeds the rest of the year. I also have to drive 35 miles one way on the highway quite often just to get to the dirt roads to get up into the hunting areas. I cleared the 35's easily, and with 5.29 gears I'm not afraid to go up to a 37.
I've owned several sets of Swampers on various rigs, and feel like they would not do well on icy roads, or the highway. I know different rigs do better with different tires, I had the exact same size Toyo's on a lifted/locked/geared Cherokee and they were unstoppable, but not so much on the cruiser!

I should also add that I will be doing an LS swap after hunting season this year, an all aluminum 6.2, so front end weight will change a bit.

I've been shopping for tires with good off-road in rocky terrain and packed snow performance. I consistently found good reviews for the
Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. Just ordered a set of 37/12.5R17's.

Previously tires were 285/75R16 Goodyear MTR's, which I really liked off-road with their good grip on rocks and mud, aggressive sidewall tread and strong sidewalls, but their road performance with packed snow was substandard compared to other mud terrain tires. Again, consistent with reviews.

That's why I'm trying something new. All-terrain tires will outperform mud-terrain on snowy roads, which is sounds like you need with so much highway driving.

Last edited:
My girlfriends running a set of general atxs on her p38 Range Rover and those tires crush it in the snow/ ice. We went snow wheeling a lot just outside of Bozeman and she never complained about grip... I’m not sure if she even aired down🤷🏽‍♀️. I’m running a set of 35” maxxis razrs and she always beat me in the snow🤷🏽‍♀️ And I got made fun of a lot.

I've been shopping for tires with good off-road in rocky terrain and packed snow performance. I consistently found good reviews for the
Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. Just ordered a set of 37/12.5R17's.

Previously tires were 285/75R16 Goodyear MTR's, which I really liked off-road with their good grip on rocks and mud, aggressive sidewall tread and strong sidewalls, but their road performance with packed snow was substandard compared to other mud terrain tires. Again, consistent with reviews.

That's why I'm trying something new. All-terrain tires will outperform mud-terrain on snowy roads, which is sounds like you need with so much highway driving.
Hope you have better luck with the STT Pros. I hated them. They were good for the first few months and then went downhill fast.

I'm giving the General Grabber X3's a go. In a 35's. I liked my MTR's as well.
MTR's have been my favorites along with the Toyo MTs. Have heard good feedback about the X3's. I know Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters has liked them a lot on his 200 series. He's mentioned that few times when tires have come up in conversation. I think he just got a second set to replace the first set he had. So I think the X3's could be a nice choice.

Edit: Responding to comments about tires for hardpack snow and ice, MT style tires are always a bit of a compromise because of the large tread blocks. But in my experience there has been a nice improvement after having them siped. I've had multiple sets of tires now that I've siped for winter. It won't make them as good as a dedicated snow tire, but has been a significant improvement compared to not having them siped. At least that's been my experience here in Utah.

MTR's have been my favorites along with the Toyo MTs. Have heard good feedback about the X3's. I know Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters has liked them a lot on his 200 series. He's mentioned that few times when tires have come up in conversation. I think he just got a second set to replace the first set he had. So I think the X3's could be a nice choice.
The x3 is all my neighbor has ran on all their trucks and have loved them between CO snow and Oregon weather (they have moved back and forth a couple times). That said they sold me a set 5 for to good of deal and I needed new shoes bad and they wanted to bump to 37's. So win-win there. They are curious however as they strayed from the GG's to the Patagonia's in the 37.

Hope you have better luck with the STT Pros. I hated them. They were good for the first few months and then went downhill fast.
Thanks for pitching that curve ball. Didn’t expect to hear that. Good news is that is not too late to switch !!

No worries...joking around. What didn’t you like about the tire after a couple months?

Last edited:
You will sacrifice off road performance in order to handle the paved winter driving. Stay with an aggressive AT or mild MT. I put BFG KOs on my sons Taco and my daughter's 4 runner, real pleased with the road manners and do well in the dirt. My daughter lives in Missoula and loves them in the snow. Much better than the Goodyears she replaced. I am running Pro Comp extreme MTs but, I think (know) they are not the greatest in the snow and feel you would not be happy with them, I am on my third set and very pleased with them.

Many of the club members here are running the Nitto Terra Graplers and are happy with them, hold up well in the rocks. I have heard good things about the Cooper STs as well. I know some people love the GY Duratrac but, in my experience, the sidewalls are way too soft (my brother trashed three on the same hunting trip, all within 3 days). If you are just driving maintained dirt roads however, they should be a great choice for you.

Based upon how you opened, I would go with the BFGs. Pretty good compromise imo.

Thanks for the input guys. As you can see in my Avatar I had BFG KO's on my FJ62, I had them on my work truck, and also my Duramax. That said they are great for about 10k miles and then they start having issues with balance and cracking between treads, I won't own another set...
So far the Toyo MT's have been the best on nearly everything I own, and work surprisingly good on the ice. What I really desire is for someone to make a 35 or 37 that isn't a swamper, and isn't a 10 ply D or E rated tire!! I am not hauling 10k pounds for crying out loud! It's like they think everybody that wants a larger tire is driving a jacked up diesel!!
You are also right about needing multiple sets of wheels and tires, one for the deep snow, one for the ice, one for the highway, and one for high speed travel on rocky/gravel roads! Or maybe I need more Cruisers, each with a different set on them!!!

Trxus MT. Had a set of 38.5x14.50. Did fine at 85MPH with balance beads.

Thanks for the input guys. As you can see in my Avatar I had BFG KO's on my FJ62, I had them on my work truck, and also my Duramax. That said they are great for about 10k miles and then they start having issues with balance and cracking between treads, I won't own another set...

The newer KO2's are much better. I'm at over 50k miles on mine and they still have plenty of life left. We get a lot of snow here and I've been happy with the snow performance both on and off road.

What I really desire is for someone to make a 35 or 37 that isn't a swamper, and isn't a 10 ply D or E rated tire!! I am not hauling 10k pounds for crying out loud! It's like they think everybody that wants a larger tire is driving a jacked up diesel!!
You are also right about needing multiple sets of wheels and tires, one for the deep snow, one for the ice, one for the highway, and one for high speed travel on rocky/gravel roads! Or maybe I need more Cruisers, each with a different set on them!!!

I don't think you'll ever find a 35" or larger tire in less than a D ply rating. And I wouldn't want any less. It's not like a loaded 80 series is light. Run less pressure if you want. Plus there is more than just the load rating to consider. My Duratrac sidewalls are paper thin and E rated. My Geolander G003 is D rated and much stiffer.

While having 4 sets of tires would be great I doubt you could wear them all out before dry rotting :) One set for wheeling and one for everything else is pretty practical. I always find it comical when anyone says a some MT is good in the winter. I always wonder if they know what good is? Good in deep snow maybe? Good on ice or anything slick no, hell no.

with 5.29's and a 6.2, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you need 40's :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom