too many miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking at buying a 1996 lc that has 220K miles on it...everyone keeps telling me thats too much, and that the rig wont last much longer. It has been taken good care of, and it has new additions...any thoughts?

How much do they want?
Are there service records?
What mods were done?
Have you had a mechanic and a body shop check it out?
These rigs will run for a lot of miles but all the info you can get from its past are good, trust me.
220K is not too much. I am approaching that on mine and it is running well.
Good luck.

From what I've read on the forums. Land cruisers are suppose to last forever. Some wrote up to 500k. I say get it as cheap as possible and go for it... Of course, as long as it runs and no problems for at least 6 months. I got my 97 TLC 40th anniversary edition in May. I love it.

got one with 240 now has 279,ooo no problem besides basic maintaince if it has been maintained prob ok

Bought my 96 one year ago with 243k on it and had a bunch of problems and maintenance issues but though they will last they need maintenance. Take time to bring it somewhere to look at the cooling system and do a compression check. Head gasket failures are prone in this vehicle and you could buy someone elses expensive issue. I spent close to 3k more in maintenance and repairs than my 5k I bought it for but I did the work myself. Now I'm working on the looks of it since my mechanicals seem to be taken care of. But I have been crawling with it and it's an amazing vehicle and worth the $$ and effort. Good luck!

steve

if you take proper care it will last a very very long time. most crucial thing in a 1FZ is the cooling system if its been maintained properly then there should be no headgasket issues.

Mine has 287K on the OD and is running strong and I bought it with 202K. I have a lot of preventative maintenance items that need to be done, but I'm willing to put the money and effort into doing so. Find out what it needs to have done immediately, what needs to be done in the next six months, and what is going to inevitably going to need to be done. Factor all those costs into your decision making matrix to decide if it's worth what they're asking.

I just got one with 300k if it's clean then jump on it

You have two choices, by a less mileage one and spend more money up front or buy a higher mileage one and take the money saved and "Plan On" putting that money into. You may get a good one or you may get a problem. If there is nothing wrong then take the money saved and buy toys...

If you like to work on vehicles, have time and a place to work on it, have tools needed and have a yearning to learn about the 80, then buy the high mileage one. If you have none of the above, then buy a younger one.

I got mine at 208,000 and went through the whole thing and did a ton of PM's, many of the things I replaced didn't need replacing but I did it just so there would not be a problem later.

The past several years have been problem free driving after going through it 9 years ago. Being on the road these past 3 years I have had to do very little to it so the hours of work in the past has worked out. 381,000mi and going.

If you buy a younger one, plan on doing the PM's later. So its your choice, do them now or do them later.

Land Cruisers arent your ordinary SUV.. Your firends might not be gear heads, may be confused or making generalizations based on other SUV's in an attempt to see you buy a good rig.

Remember Land Cruisers are designed to be driven across god knows where in sub grade fuel and maintained with the tools they came with and some duct tape.

At 220k you will want to pay attention to a few things as mentioned above.. and probably take a good gander at some of the sticky threads.. esp the one discussing the costs of ownership.

Land Cruisers are tanks... they last as long as you take care of them. A Land Cruiser is one of the few vehicles that I can think of where you replace a expensive part at 200k miles.. and its no big deal because you know that toyota part you just bought will last another 200k.

I bought my LC at 185k.. replaced the brakes.. the CDL switch.. rebuilt the axle and I am flushing the fluids. The head gasket was done, and the radiator was replaced.

My LC is still tight.. no rattles on the road. it goes straight, ac still works, and it is one of those vehices that is timeless. I honestly believe my son will be driving this truck when he goes to college and he is only 2.

Have fun shopping. You will have to maintain your LC, but you will love it.

Mine's over 220k and I expect it to turn into a pumpkin any day.:rolleyes:

I have 272k on mine ;)

iPhone 4S using IH8MUD

just passed 288000 in my 94. 220 is nothing. i know other 80 owners personally over 220k and they run as well as an 80 with 120k.
just do it............................nike

Purchased at 210k. Changed fluids and radiator. Found a blown hg but never left us stranded despite burning coolant. 220k and the most reliable vehicle we own. Maintenance maintenance maintenance. My 4 and 6 year olds fight on who gets it at 16, hate to break their heart but mom and dad aren't giving it up that easy. It's an easy choice. Yes - get an LC at almost any mileage , service records and pm are key.

It's at the halfway point. If the maints has been done I'd jump on it. The I6 is arguably the toughest block Toyota has ever made. :D

Bought mine 9 years ago w/134,xxx miles. It now has 280,xxx on it and still running strong. Maintenance is the key, you can't short-sheet that. I've replaced the rad, water pump, oil pump seals, HG, front rotors, a/c compressor :mad:, brake pads numerous times, tires x 2 (Michilins), multiple hoses and belts, rebuilt the front axle, and some other things that I can't remember. But, we just drove from Phoenix to Ipswich, MA via North Dakota (3500 mi) loaded with junk and had no problems. No squeaks or rattles. Needs a new drivers seat cover (worn not torn, cloth) and that's about all. Some idiot in a BMW bumped me in a traffic jam yesterday (He was texting). He hit my hitch ball :grinpimp: Nice ding on his. I didn't even stop. Need more testimony?
Ned
PS- Almost forgot. I've been out-of-state for 3 years so I took it down to be inspected and it passed with no issues. The guy couldn't believe the mileage. My uncles and cousins in AZ and ND are amazed.

I'm in my second fj80...I figure if this one with 185k gives me the 350k the last one did shes worth every penny....plus now I have AC.....no more feeling like I am driving around in a microwave all summer........smiles per gallon =0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom