Too Funny - 4x4 Rankings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is 2 damn funny. The Avalanche and Tundra beat out the 100 Series Land Cruiser.

Consumer Reports rates 14 four-wheel-drive vehicles, of 34 tested, true off-roaders. From the best down:
Toyota Tacoma TRD
Chevrolet Avalanche
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Land Cruiser
Land Rover Discovery
Toyota 4Runner
Lexus GX470
Dodge Ram
Land Rover Freelander
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Kia Sorento
Nissan Xterra
VW Touareg
Mitsubishi Montero

Worst

Weight, on-road design put Expedition at bottom:
Chevrolet TrailBlazer/GMC Envoy
Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Ford Explorer
Ford Expedition

Can't you get a Tundra with a rear diff lock still? That could explain why. The 100 might be a little more top heavy than the Tundra and it sits lower. Maybe that had to do with their ratings?

I never pay much attention to magazine ratings. How can the new Ford F150 be truck of the year when it is the first truck to not pass the Insurance Institute's crash tests? They went backwards from where they were and they get awarded for it? Rankings I think have a lot to do with Advertising space. Buy more ad space and your ranking goes up. Of course this doesn't work for Consumer Reports, but I'm thinking of the Publications that give Truck of the Year, SUV of the Year, etc... awards.

Folks, consumer reports is famous for ranking things from the perspective of an appliance. In other words, along with pure offroad capability, things like price, passenger room, cargo room, towing capacity, reliability, economy etc etc etc are all factored in to this report. Another example: if on paper one stereo system or television can do the same functions as another stereo system or television, then the one with the lower price or the longer warranty will win every time with CR. It is a good publication but everything is an appliance!

>> Folks, consumer reports is famous for ranking things <<
>> from the perspective of an appliance. <<

I agree and never place any value on CR vehicle comparisons.

-B-

Like to comment on this, but I’m trying to think of a good screen name & aviator for the new Avalanche site I’m joining tonight!
NOT! :flipoff2:

[quote author=Gundy link=board=2;threadid=12419;start=msg113844#msg113844 date=1078253091]
What the ???? No Hummer 2 listed. Any guess where that gussed up poser
hussy would fall? I have my opinion. It ain't at the top in my list. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Well, again, from the perspective of an appliance, the H2 is expensive, has poor performance, has poor reliability, is too damn wide to fit where it needs to fit, has no economy, is rash-butt-ugly etc. It would rank last, which, for the first time means that I agree with a CR ranking!!! ;)

Not only that but the vegetable bins bind up when you try to open them. :D

The H2 does look like a commerical refrigerator with wheels, doesn't it ?

Wayne S :slap:

[quote author=Wayne link=board=2;threadid=12419;start=msg113929#msg113929 date=1078261330]
The H2 does look like a commerical refrigerator with wheels, doesn't it ?

Wayne S :slap:
[/quote]

Yea and as soon as they put the famous Mr. Delorean in charge of styling, the stainless steel will come and then it will really like like the fridge!

The Sorento is far superior to the dicso.

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=12419;start=msg113826#msg113826 date=1078250692]
Can't you get a Tundra with a rear diff lock still? That could explain why. The 100 might be a little more top heavy than the Tundra and it sits lower. Maybe that had to do with their ratings?
[/quote]

Nope, only a limit slip on the rear. The 4Runner and Tacoma is/was available with rear locker.

[quote author=DMX84 link=board=2;threadid=12419;start=msg113843#msg113843 date=1078252717]
Like to comment on this, but I’m trying to think of a good screen name & aviator for the new Avalanche site I’m joining tonight!
NOT! :flipoff2:

[/quote]

How about "notbroken". BTW, you don't ride trials do you (looking at your aviator)?

Cary

how about the G wagon or the Jeep Rubicon, both of those will prolly spank any of the rigs listed........including the 100 series

and why are the Cruiser and the Lexus not ranked the same? would almost think the Lexus would have an edge over the Cruiser(due to the air suspension..ie more clearence)

John H

[quote author=uzj100 link=board=2;threadid=12419;start=msg113816#msg113816 date=1078249269]
This is 2 damn funny. The Avalanche and Tundra beat out the 100 Series Land Cruiser.

Consumer Reports rates 14 four-wheel-drive vehicles, of 34 tested, true off-roaders. From the best down:
Toyota Tacoma TRD
Chevrolet Avalanche
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Land Cruiser
Land Rover Discovery
Toyota 4Runner
Lexus GX470
Dodge Ram
Land Rover Freelander
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Kia Sorento
Nissan Xterra
VW Touareg
Mitsubishi Montero

Worst

Weight, on-road design put Expedition at bottom:
Chevrolet TrailBlazer/GMC Envoy
Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Ford Explorer
Ford Expedition
[/quote]

so under that SLK is a G-wagon? damn? I'll tell ya, I would have left the G body on.....not much room in a SLK ;)

0375509127.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[quote author=lizardking100 link=board=2;threadid=12419;start=msg113942#msg113942 date=1078262279]
Actually, if you're interested in a story about a guy who decided to drive around the world and money was not a factor in choice of vehicles, I recommend Adventure Capitalist by Jim Rodgers http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375509127/qid=1078262314//ref=pd_ka_1/002-1186710-9045637?v=glance&s=books&n=507846. Its about a fat-cat who decided to take a modified G-wagon diesel and drive it around the world. Interesting read.
[/quote]

well, as much as I find some of CR stuff useful, they are obviously big on "Green" and other politically correct and leftist stuff, so the gas guzzlers (like our beloved TLCs) are therefore definitely anathema with them.
I did read the recent review, and it was also very clear that they did not take off-road ability into account in their latest review, in fact they were comparing trucks with and without transfer case, IIRC. Which is OK for 99% of the population, admittedly.
whatever,
E

[quote author=97 FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=12419;start=msg113945#msg113945 date=1078262741]
Nope, only a limit slip on the rear. The 4Runner and Tacoma is/was available with rear locker.
[/quote]

On top of that the Tundra uses the non-lockered Tacoma's rear diff for it's own rear diff. The difference is that the housing is widened. So does that mean the Tacoma's diff is overbuilt or the Tundra's diff is weak? I beleive the ring gear is 8.7 inches where as the locker gear ring in the Tacoma/old 4Runner is the older 8 inch.

The CR reports do have one valuable asset and that's the repair data. That's the only thing I would use them for. Having said that, I wouldn't buy a non-Toyota vechicle without looking at that repair data. I know what to expect from Toyotas.

I'm sure they wouldn't even consider off-roading a SUV as part of their review.

R

edit - they probably didn't rate the LX the same due to the new price. They must have some weighting of some sort between all the factors. I think our weighting would be very different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom