Too cap, or not to cap. Late 2F carburetor swap information. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ907Warrior

SILVER Star
Threads
Been researching on if I could install the FJ60 carburetor on my 40 and get away from the very worn but simple 2Jet rockchester.
Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere on this. Please note if your planning on using a vacuum circuit (like distributor vacuum advance) then don't cap it, and route accordingly. Hope my notes can help others out there!

Best simplified breakdown I could find for installing was buried in 60 pages here:

And more examples here:

Simplified:
Original info by JimC (paraphrased here)...

• A - Idle Mix - Used for infamous "lean drop" FJ60 carb usually has a metal cap over this (drill out to access)
  • B - Cap - Decel fuel cut port - Connect to decel fuel cut switch - not used if you ground out your idle solenoid aka "green wire mod"
Green wire mod: "If you're using a 60-series carb, there will be a white wire and green wire coming from the ICS in the carb. Cut the white wire at the green connector and put a ring terminal on it and ground it to a screw on the air horn, or any point on the carb. The green wire should get switched 12v power."

• C - Ported vac to distributor - low vac at idle, increases w/ rpms (Cap if retarded point distributor is being used)
  • D - CAP - Is HAC - not used
  • E - Choke hi-idle screw - Adjust to 1800-2000RPM w/ choke on, engine warm.
  • F - CAP
  • G - CAP - More HAC - cap em both.
  • H - Choke Breaker - Leave hooked up as from factory - to green VTV on carb to middle port top of carb
  • I - CAP - Choke Opener - Cap if it makes you happy. It's a vac sink, not a source, so doesn't need capped.
  • J - Base idle speed screw - Set to whatever you like w/ engine warm. ~650 rpm
  • K - Evap Cannister - Keep, unless you ditch the canister.
  • L - CAP - AC Idle up - If you don't have AC. Otherwise gets vacuum from AC idle up VSV on driver

87carb1.JPG

87carb2.JPG

Been researching on if I could install the FJ60 carburetor on my 40 and get away from the very worn but simple 2Jet rockchester.
Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere on this. Please note if your planning on using a vacuum circuit (like distributor vacuum advance) then don't cap it, and route accordingly. Hope my notes can help others out there!

Best simplified breakdown I could find for installing was buried in 60 pages here:

And more examples here:

Simplified:
Original info by JimC (paraphrased here)...

• A - Idle Mix - Used for infamous "lean drop" FJ60 carb usually has a metal cap over this (drill out to access)
  • B - Cap - Decel fuel cut port - Connect to decel fuel cut switch - not used if you ground out your idle solenoid aka "green wire mod"
Green wire mod: "If you're using a 60-series carb, there will be a white wire and green wire coming from the ICS in the carb. Cut the white wire at the green connector and put a ring terminal on it and ground it to a screw on the air horn, or any point on the carb. The green wire should get switched 12v power."

• C - Ported vac to distributor - low vac at idle, increases w/ rpms (Cap if retarded point distributor is being used)
  • D - CAP - Is HAC - not used
  • E - Choke hi-idle screw - Adjust to 1800-2000RPM w/ choke on, engine warm.
  • F - CAP
  • G - CAP - More HAC - cap em both.
  • H - Choke Breaker - Leave hooked up as from factory - to green VTV on carb to middle port top of carb
  • I - CAP - Choke Opener - Cap if it makes you happy. It's a vac sink, not a source, so doesn't need capped.
  • J - Base idle speed screw - Set to whatever you like w/ engine warm. ~650 rpm
  • K - Evap Cannister - Keep, unless you ditch the canister.
  • L - CAP - AC Idle up - If you don't have AC. Otherwise gets vacuum from AC idle up VSV on driver

View attachment 3276744

View attachment 3276745

this is very Nicely put together TECH , all notated and details , very kool indeed :)

i know @Spike Strip , is in my opinion the most knowledgeable California Emissions 2F CARBURETOR person here on MUD will have TECH to add

i have a fascination with this OEM topic arena too , my passion for the mechanical ARTs plays in here too in Reopoducing OEM PERIOD CORRECT related needed service parts and finding OEM parts solutions too ...

thanks

1679261735127.png

1679261891428.png

1679261706206.png

1679261783895.png

1679261812032.png

21062-610604_2048x.jpg

This is super helpful - thanks! Will be using this information on the weekend to get a carb setup on my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom