tompkins or tekonsha harness with redarc tow pro trailer brake for LX450? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone know for sure if the tompkins harness is the one to get for 97 LX450?
anything else required?
i see three threads that get half way into this and one that seems to do the full install.
also anything else needed except these two items and any cautions about the alarm or other matters?
also anyone know if this EPDK is needed? or if it matters if you install a second battery eventually?
THANKS

D226854A-1169-43F9-8DAF-9D0E921B0B86.jpeg

4AC14F1B-72E0-415F-AFAB-1CFE4836D7BB.jpeg

03786055-0002-4A88-9FBD-226785534C54.jpeg

D8E45257-0C7C-4EC8-977C-15E14165D4E8.jpeg

adding some links here:
Break controller wiring harness? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/break-controller-wiring-harness.854076/ (the videos by GW Nugget in this thread are great)

Last edited:
Both of those are plug and play to get you a 4 pin set up.
But it doesn't get you the brake circuit, for that you'll need a 4-to-6 or 4-to-7 adaptor....or cut the four pin plug off and just wire direct to the 6 or 7 pin trailer plug.
I set up a 4 pin to 7 pin adaptor so that I can unplug the 4 pin from the 7 pin to hook up my "simple" trailer; or leave the 4 pin plugged into the 7 pin for the "complex" trailer.

So , what do you need?
Brakes obviously, so that means your trailer has an on board battery , becuase if you have electric brakes you need to have an an emergancy break away system that will run 12v from the trailer's battery to the trailer brakes in case the trailer escapes control of the tow vehical. So that's 6 pins, so that the trailers battery is maintianed by the tow rig.
If you have reverse lights on the trailer you'll need a 7 pin. I put reverse lights in mine, because, why wouldn't I want reverse lights way the hell back there in the dark?

You'll need to run at a min 2 strands of #10 wire from the battery through a couple of circut breakers for the trailer brakes and trailer charging system.
If you want reverse lights you'll need a third strand too.

BTW that trailer brake modulal is F'ing aswsome!

you buy the harness that goes to 4 pin connector then buy a 7/4 pin connector output with an easyhttps://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d1581acd-2e11-4db0-84ca-39203c111028.8f82df25f0c2915e91f772758a510afb.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF, connect the blue wire to your brake controller, think i had to add a charge wire for my trailer. then you only have one or 2 wires that are spliced your don't have to take the7 pin connector apart the wires are already set up. I believe i used the Tompkins harness. it was way easier then having to wire the 7 pin plug. MY 7 pin plug has an additional 4 pin output right next to its output so I am setup if i have to pull a trailer with the 4 plug connector

5.jpeg

20211012_154859.jpg

you buy the harness that goes to 4 pin connector then buy a 7/4 pin connector output with an easyhttps://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d1581acd-2e11-4db0-84ca-39203c111028.8f82df25f0c2915e91f772758a510afb.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF, connect the blue wire to your brake controller, think i had to add a charge wire for my trailer. then you only have one or 2 wires that are spliced your don't have to take the7 pin connector apart the wires are already set up. I believe i used the Tompkins harness. it was way easier then having to wire the 7 pin plug. MY 7 pin plug has an additional 4 pin output right next to its output so I am setup if i have to pull a trailer with the 4 plug connector

View attachment 2810765

View attachment 2810771
thanks a lot for that. i'll get the parts in and hopefully get to tackle it here in a bit.

Currently using a Red Arc myself and it’s great. Auto mode or you can adjust the sensitivity easily on the fly. Programming in the beginning might have you second guessing if you are impatient like me. Wondering if the light is green/blue or the level of it. I’ve had to reprogram after each time I kill the battery but it’s easy.

I believe there are different kinds of breakaway batteries and if you rarely use the trailer and you have a lead acid battery you're probably better off to pull it out and put it on a tinder until you need it because it likely will be very low at the beginning of your trip and maybe not fully charge at all even worse it just goes bad from never been kept charged point being that would let you leave off a charging citcuit from the tow vehicle. It does not require much of a battery it's just got to keep the trailer brakes energized for a minimum amount of time if the trailer disconnects and I believe it's only for a few minutes basically long enough for the trailer to come to a stop.

For the brake signal you have to "T" tap under the dash on the brake light switch.

On my 97 FZJ80 there was an empty plug just off center behind and above the spare tire that gives backup light power. It is part of the backup light circuit. I happened to have a plug laying around that fit it, even found the right colored tracer wire. The other empty plug around there is for the factory sub fuel tank, it is dead in the loom.

I used the the 4 flat adapter harness and wired up a pigtail to match that went into a 6 round. The plug shown above is a nice ready made alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom