Tom Hanks is Selling his 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t follow culture, occasionally I make it to a movie every decade. I do know that Hanks is an actor. But I don‘t know what he has to do with Idaho. Can‘t read the date on the license plate sticker, so don’t know how old this pic is or if he just bought the cruiser in Idaho in the past.

Looks like he's gotten too old to drive it.

I don't know if the 40 is worth the asking price but I think the value of a 40 should be based on the condition etc. of the Cruiser and not inflated because of celebrity ownership.

I don’t follow culture, occasionally I make it to a movie every decade. I do know that Hanks is an actor. But I don‘t know what he has to do with Idaho. Can‘t read the date on the license plate sticker, so don’t know how old this pic is or if he just bought the cruiser in Idaho in the past.
Forget Idaho, what does he have to do with cruisers such that he has signed the glovebox as if he were Carroll Shelby signing a cobra?

Anybody figure out who built it?

My Googley skills failed.

Looks like he's gotten too old to drive it.

I don't know if the 40 is worth the asking price but I think the value of a 40 should be based on the condition etc. of the Cruiser and not inflated because of celebrity ownership.
Reminds me of George Castanza ridin' round in John Voit's car.

Looks like it should be a 50-60k truck if I have to be honest. Undesirable engine, ugly wheels (wagon wheels on a 40 should always be WHITE), barely original

Let be honest. This is probably gonna sell close to 80k at least. Look at this BAT auction. Which is the nicer cruiser? I’ll let you take your pick. My pick is the 1970

It’s a cool cruiser, and I would definitely drive it and enjoy it if it was a reasonable price, but I do know it certainly is not worth anywhere near 75-125k

Let be honest. This is probably gonna sell close to 80k at least. Look at this BAT auction. Which is the nicer cruiser? I’ll let you take your pick. My pick is the 1970
Really $80K? Need to detail my 70. Thought half that would be a good price.
The carrot 025.jpg

View attachment 2740392
it was one of the highest sold fj40s on BAT too, so if TH's truck sells for anything near what they say, it is outrageous.TH's truck is worth 50,000 dollar truck TOPS in my opinion. considering the crappy modifications

not a fan of that engine but looks nice
Just the other day I was thinking it could be a good choice for a 40 series. I had one in an S10, and best the tar out of it. Great power, reasonable mileage, overall a positive experience.

View attachment 2740392
hood spares just never did anything for me, so :meh:

:lol:

nice cruiser - I sure hope you have driven it since 2011 :cheers:

oh, and as far as Tom Hanks is concerned, whatever he sells the truck for is peanuts in his budget :meh:

Is it selling on bat?

That site seems to do well pumping up prices.
A low miles fj cruiser owned by Jerry Seinfeld was sold on there for 68 k last year. At the time I think it was about 8-10k more than the average price for that model package and milage.
“Bonhams will be offering the vehicle in mid-August at the Quail Lodge Auction with a price guide of $75,000 to $125,000 USD, which is close to what we’d expect a restored and modified FJ40 like this to sell for without the Hollywood A-list former owner.”

again, truck has no business being valued at that price imo. This seems driven, not original at all, weird mods, and just off i think

“Bonhams will be offering the vehicle in mid-August at the Quail Lodge Auction with a price guide of $75,000 to $125,000 USD, which is close to what we’d expect a restored and modified FJ40 like this to sell for without the Hollywood A-list former owner.”

again, truck has no business being valued at that price imo. This seems driven, not original at all, weird mods, and just off i think

Now I remember reading the auction house had it then forgot. Maybe that place has the deeper pocket clientele

Most stuff is selling for higher than it should.
A Toyota dealer in my area is selling out of RAV4s and camrys at a hair under 50k. They sell out of 4runners at close to 60. People are throwing money around like they are just going to keep printing more.

I am a Toyota biased fan so I dislike non brand swaps for myself but it’s still nice. I don’t think it’s worth 75k and would pick a different one if I was going to spend that much on a none daily driver or toy.

I think it’s exciting for us landcruiser guys to see a connection with someone so famous. “ hey that guy Tom hanks, elvis, Jerry Seinfeld, Ellen’s deGeranfe, Johnny cash, Pope, Harrison Ford, myth buster, Han Solo etc rode in an Fj40, here’s a picture. “

All that and it has the wrong gear shift pattern....come on, all that expense and you at least have a custom plaque made. I will not get into the engine choice but I am sure it scoots along just fine..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom