Tojo 64 resto mod build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess it's time to start a build. I've been absorbing information from this forum for two years now and am extremely greatful for the wealth of knowledge here!

I knew nothing of Fj40's prior to getting mine. I've been a huge fan of Toyota for many years now. I've owned a 2011 Tacoma, 2012 Tacoma, and an 85 pickup and now have two 40s and my DD is a 16 4Runner.

This rig became available after my grandfather passed away three years ago. It was his and in the family for a while. We were cleaning out his old shop when I stumbled upon it. It immediately hit me as a beautiful vehicle. I was hooked! A few weeks later I bought it from my grandma with the intent of fixing it up and keeping it in the family. The plans have grown as far as fixing it up goes (I tend to get carried away) but the plan to keep it in the family holds true. In fact I'm thinking of getting another for my soon to be born daughter and my step daughter.

As an avid user of this forum... I understand that posting without pictures is frowned upon.

Without further adu... here we go. Wish me luck!

Some pictures from the first day I saw it.

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

Pulled valve cover and found the heads to be ridden with stalagmites of rust. That coupled with the cracked block lead me to changing direction slightly. 350 it will be.

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3570.JPG

Let's see... at this point I was kind of a man without a plan. Just tearing in and learning and getting entirely too ahead of myself.

And went and bought an 85 Toyota pickup front axle. Thinking it would be the easiest swap to disc brakes without doing much research.

Also around this time I went and bought a 76 top/sides/rear Ambi doors.

Gosh looking back at this I can't believe how little research I did. Just went out and bought things thinking it would all work. Smh. At this point I'm not planning on even using this top.

IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

Pulled the body... found it a complete wreck from rust. Even found can lids screwed to body panels to be used as backing for 1/2" thick bondo.

I panicked.

Then got a grand idea to trade my beautiful 85 for a 74 Fj40. Straight across trade. Thinking I'd use misc pieces and the tub for the 64 rotten pieces.

Another dumb idea. At this point I'm just planning on getting an Aquala or fixing what I have. The 74' will either get restored into a first car for one of the girls or sold or kept. Who knows.

IMG_4113.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4039.JPG

IMG_4094.PNG

Last edited:
Somewhere along the line I decided to go with fj62 axles sprung over. Went and bought those from a guy in Salem.

Then in learning and absorbing from my uncle Neil Wilkendorf, who has a 40 and is a long time fan of 40s and whom some of you may know, I decided to go with sm420 tranny. Bought this, transfer case and adapter and had it shipped up here to Oregon.

Had misc parts blasted and powder coated wrinkle black at my buddies work. Plan is to keep these and have accents in this finish.

IMG_4589.JPG

IMG_4595.JPG

All that I've posted has occurred in the las two years. The build is actually going slower than I would like

Did you know you started with a fairly rare factory soft top model? A little late now, but would have been a nice resto project back to stock.

Yeah I know it was an fst. With the rare large window carb. Rear tailgate. Rear "Toyota" sticker. The body/motor were toast. Cracked block meant matching numbers gone. I don't have the means or patience to go with a full resto.

Welp. My first born came on Wednesday this last week. Very excited, but I'm sure progress on the 40 will be even slower than before. Yes...the first picture of me and my daughter is one with me wearing a Fj40 shirt.

I had my frame blasted two weeks ago. Didn't like how it turned out so I split the frame, by removing 68 more rivets. Sent it off and had the blasters reblast and epoxy coat.

Placed an order at fastenal for all the hardware I'd need to reassemble the frame rails and front cross member.

Ordered new spring bushings, Eastman 2k chassis paint, and a quart of slip coat.

Next up will be painting the frame, boxing rear section, order/install Saginaw box kit. Suspension setup.

IMG_7749.JPG

IMG_7754.JPG

IMG_7756.JPG

IMG_7758.JPG

IMG_7787.JPG

Last edited:
Hey man. Love the rig! Earlies are the best!

I know you're not into restos, but whitey is right - she's a rare beast. Real rare. So before you get too happy with the rattle gun or the sawzall, maybe go a quick google search to make sure you're not about to accidentally hack an unobtainium that could go to a resto guy. You'd probably make someone's year with some of those parts.

I'll be following! Up the 350!

Thanks 45! Got it with no top, doors, marker lights, cracked block, no rear seats, and a tub rusted out like crazy. My grandfather used it for a hunting rig and it spent many rainy years outdoors before he tucked it away in his shop.

A quick search shows one sold in the NW in the last month for less than 20k. The amount of labor and money required to do a correct restore on this would make it no longer profitable or perhaps marginally profitable. Not to mention the guilt of selling a family keepsake. :(

What's a rattle gun? Spray paint? What would make you think I'd spray paint this beauty? Have no fear... I don't even own a sawzall. My tastes and workmanship are beyond my years or maybe not, we shall see. ;)

I will do some additional research on the rig and see what I find.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom