Toe in spec...what do you use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I kind of remember that someone said the toe in spec in the computer at Toyota was wrong. Kind of strange but I remember some one saying that the dealer will show a recommended toe of "xxxxx". And that this number was not at all right.

I am having a new set of Toyo A/T III 315/75/16 installed and they are checking the allignment. Any idea what numbers I should set it to? Obviously the tire shop has something listed in their computer. But unfortunately I dont trust anyone to not **** stuff up.

FSM toe in spec is 2mm +/- 2mm.

That said, this will depend on the amount of caster correction. If caster is below spec, adding a bit of toe in will help make the steering "feel" tighter. If caster is above spec and the steering is very heavy, you can zero out toe to lighten up the feel and still have the vehicle track properly.

Looks like they are running .5”-1” small? Anybody have them in 295/70/18? Was thinking I want 275/70/18, but if they are small I’m thinking I may have to go bigger to get the right size...

FSM toe in spec is 2mm +/- 2mm.

That said, this will depend on the amount of caster correction. If caster is below spec, adding a bit of toe in will help make the steering "feel" tighter. If caster is above spec and the steering is very heavy, you can zero out toe to lighten up the feel and still have the vehicle track properly.
Thanks, Just to clarify that is toe IN right?

I hate having to have shops work on my truck. Tires are about the only thing i cant do my self. They already called to tell me my rear brakes are low, i know and have pads sitting on the shelf at home. Also my left side battery is low...I know, i have duel batt and just replace them both every 5 years or so. Whenever they "act up". Since i have two i just combine them and start it when one gets tired. Then get around to getting new ones. No drama.

When i had my last set of 315's installed the shop wanted to set tow to 0 (per the spec they said) i asked them to set mine to 0.5° on each side to give me 1° overall. My caster is at the lower limit and I was working off the same recommendation that @jonhjust gave.

Thanks, Just to clarify that is toe IN right?

I hate having to have shops work on my truck. Tires are about the only thing i cant do my self. They already called to tell me my rear brakes are low, i know and have pads sitting on the shelf at home. Also my left side battery is low...I know, i have duel batt and just replace them both every 5 years or so. Whenever they "act up". Since i have two i just combine them and start it when one gets tired. Then get around to getting new ones. No drama.
Yes. Always toe in, never toe out.
FWIW, adjusting toe is pretty easy with a pair of jackstands, a pair of short sheet metal screws, and a tape measure.

When i had my last set of 315's installed the shop wanted to set tow to 0 (per the spec they said) i asked them to set mine to 0.5° on each side to give me 1° overall. My caster is at the lower limit and I was working off the same recommendation that @jonhjust gave.
To be clear, you can't set toe individually for each side. You're simply adjusting the length of the tie rod, so the overall measurement is your toe.
The longer the tie rod, the more toe in. The shorter the tie rod the less toe in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom