1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toddler Shot by Los Angeles Police

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Biff, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Biff

Biff

What do you guys think of this story. Should the SWAT sniper have waited for a shot to take the guy out without killing the 19 month old.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/4706740/detail.html

I remember a similar incident happened on the west side of Los Angeles several years ago. This guy was holding a kid up as a shield and shooting at cops, a sniper waited for his shot to take the guy out. Why couldn't they do the same here, what an F'ud up situation I would hate to be the cop that took that shot.

2. Jman

Jman

Maybe it could have been handled better, I dunno. But how many dead hostages have their been in LA?

Sad, fawked up situation. Poor little girl.

3. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Crappy deal... but police officers (humans too) were getting fired on after trying to help others out of the area, not much time to wait. He fired on them, they had to do something...

4. Safado

Safado

Didn't sound like there was a sniper onsite at all...just normal cops trying to stop an unfortunate situation. I don't get why the investigation to find out who actaully shot the girl...no one was trying to obviously...I just don't know what good that would do now.

So sad.

5. Biff

Biff

Yes they are humans, part of there jobs is being shot at, but don't you wait so a baby isn't killed maybe take cover. As I said before a similar situation happened in LA and the cops waited until the had a shot, why was this any different. Granted I'm not a cop, and have no experience in this kind of situation, but couldn't you take cover in order to save a little girl.

6. Biff

Biff

Actually LAPD had SWAT snipers posted. The guy was killed by a snipers bullet the baby by a random bullet.

7. firetruck41

firetruck41

A cops life is worth as much as the little girls, if they are fired on I would not want them to wait and be killed instead of the baby, in the movies that would be great and he might be a dead hero, but in real life every officer has the right to value his life above others in a situation like that. It might be selfish, but they are responsible for themselves and their own families first...

8. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

I hadn't heard that they had a sniper on site. News said 11 cops fired 90 rounds.

I can't imagine being one of the officers thinking that there's the possibility it was your gun.

9. crushers

crushers post ho

i would have to side with the cops on this one. there is no way they would intentionally shoot the kid. it is true a little girl died and that is very sad.
    i feel for the officers involved and the mother of the child.

that must have been one depressed father to hold his own kid up as a sheild. pretty messed up situation.

10. patride71

patride71

NPR said they had SWAT on site, but it wasn't clear if there was a sniper involved. this seems to be a rare incident in the history of SWAT according to the report....

11. calfj60

calfj60

Media:
    Albums:
    This whole case fu%^N pisses me off.....Why were the police there in the first place??? Oh thats right the step-daughter called and said her step dad was threating to kill her, her mother the baby and himnself....Then he decides that he is not mnan enough to stand up to the police alone so he comes out with his daughter....as a shield all the while shooting at the police....nice dad :mad: GOD this pisses me off.....you are gonna have good cops retireing behind this cause they were possibly the shooter that killed the baby....what about them...how are they gonna ever recover from this???? Who is gonna help them out????

12. Biff

Biff

Well I understand the cops were being shot at, and all of this is the fathers fault, but why couldn't anything else been done to protect that kid. Shooting the psycho dad is fine, but hitting that kid is something else all together. Those poor cops will sufer for the rest of there lifes because of this.

13. Jman

Jman

I bet this finally will be seen as an unfortunate, tragic accident, with no blame on the officers, which is probably fair.

14. 2badfjs

2badfjs

JUSTICE SERVED! :D
    it is sad about the child though. :frown:

i think people who think they have to take the lives of thier family members because THEYare depressed or troubled SUCKS!

KILL YOURSELF AND BE DONE WITH IT!!!

15. calfj60

calfj60

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know about you but after taking 40 rounds and then seeing your buddy get shot....I think I would have returned fire also...now what would you say if the police just waited until they had the shot??? but the guy walkled down the street shooting several more people along the way?? The way I look at it...the police were in a no win situation and would be blamed either way...

16. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

I was wondering about some type of protocol that they could use in this type of situation. Maybe designate two or three officers as "shooters" if something happens, and leave the other officers with standard ROE. May avoid the hail of bullets that happens in these situations.

17. Bluto

Bluto

What I noticed about the City of LA and CA in general: damned if you do and damned if you dont. Everything is racially motivated. It kinda sucks for law abiding citizens. Hey love the beaches and mountains - takes out the crappy taste of the political BS.

18. Biff

Biff

By its nature Los Angeles has always racially motivated in everything that happens here. For example our new mayor, what did the rest of the country see(not a new mayor, but the first Latino Mayor in over one hundred years,)Why? who cares he's a latino. In this case its a Watts neighborhood(mostly latinos and blacks) and a whole bunch of cops taking down a crazy a hole that should have offed himself instead of holding his kid as a shield. Its sad but I don't see things changing.

19. mabrodis

mabrodis

Definetly a messed up situation, however in actuality the officiers did not kill the girl, the father killed the girl by his actions. To say the officers killed the girl is to say that if you tie someone up to the railroad tracks, you didn't kill them, the train did. His actions directly caused the girl's death, and obviously he was ok with that...THAT is the fawked up part. IMO it's just another example of a parent somehow killing their child...man do I hope there is a God that comes down like a load of bricks on these people in heaven/hell/purgatory, whatever, that is just so messed up! :mad:

20. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    What would you suggest?