Today is the day... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today is the day, and it's going to hurt so much.

Misty is our girl, our nearly 14 year old GSP, our crazy dog, our dog that loves swimming rapids chasing the kayaks, our dog who if you throw the ball one time, she will never stop bothering you to throw it over and over, our dog who will look you in the eye and talk to you, our dog who only drinks water by biting it with her head under water, our dog who loves to lay her head on the pillow next to ours, our dog who loves our 60 as much as I do. She was the smartest dog we have ever had the pleasure of knowing, we love her.

Nearly 2 years ago, a tumor starting growing around her heart. They could not operate, but she had proton radiation therapy, which gave her and us 2 more years together.

She has been slowing down over the last month or so, and the doc said the tumor was starting to grow again and was pushing on her heart. Another round of radiation was not the best idea for her...She was eating and drinking, and could go outside when needed, so she was doing OK.

Sunday, she started to get wobbly and lethargic, and my wife said she fainted while eating, but came back in a moment. Took her to the vet and they said there's no more to be done.

We are waiting for our daughter to come home to see her, and we have made arrangements to have the vet come to the house this afternoon, but it's so dam hard.

We have 2 other good dogs who we love, but our Misty was special!

Today is one of the hardest days in our lives...

011.JPG

Misty is our girl, our nearly 14 year old GSP, our crazy dog, our dog that loves swimming rapids chasing the kayaks, our dog who if you throw the ball one time, she will never stop bothering you to throw it over and over, our dog who will look you in the eye and talk to you, our dog who only drinks water by biting it with her head under water, our dog who loves to lay her head on the pillow next to ours, our dog who loves our 60 as much as I do. She was the smartest dog we have ever had the pleasure of knowing, we love her.

Nearly 2 years ago, a tumor starting growing around her heart. They could not operate, but she had proton radiation therapy, which gave her and us 2 more years together.

She has been slowing down over the last month or so, and the doc said the tumor was starting to grow again and was pushing on her heart. Another round of radiation was not the best idea for her...She was eating and drinking, and could go outside when needed, so she was doing OK.

Sunday, she started to get wobbly and lethargic, and my wife said she fainted while eating, but came back in a moment. Took her to the vet and they said there's no more to be done.

We are waiting for our daughter to come home to see her, and we have made arrangements to have the vet come to the house this afternoon, but it's so dam hard.

We have 2 other good dogs who we love, but our Misty was special!

Today is one of the hardest days in our lives...

View attachment 1397673
Oh man, sorry to hear this. Its so hard to let go of a pet, sounds like you are doing the right thing though. It's never easy, good luck to you.

She's had a great life with a great family. Remember all the good times, but it will be painful for all the humans. I really believe a pet knows when it's their time.

I know. It doesn't make it any easier.

Well, Misty passed before we needed the vet. She was laying next to me warm and comfy...

"When I die, I want to go where dogs go when they die"! You and yours will all be together when you say "Goodbye"! Sorry about your loss! It's going to be tough. I know the feeling.

My heart goes out to you. What a wonderful life you gave her, and how much she gave you in return.

I hope you'll forgive me for comparing her circumstances to our beloved Winter, who passed three years ago. He was diagnosed with a tumor growing inside his heart. We'd never have known, but he began to have episodes of syncopy (fainting). He was twelve. There was nothing short of open heart surgery to do for him, and no way could we imagine putting him through that. Gradually he became weaker, until one morning I and my S.O. agreed that it might be time to make "the call." I left for work, and about two hours later my wife called to tell me he was gone. He had asked her to go outside, she took him out and he did his business and she brought him back inside. He laid down a few feet from where she was working in the kitchen, and a few minutes later she looked at him and he was gone. Peaceful, and at home, the way all our dogs and cats should be lucky enough to go.

Misty gave you the best, even in passing. Bless her, and you and your family.

Thanks for all the kindness and sharing. Dogs...We love them so much it hurts!

Never a fun time... went through a similar situation with our Yellow Lab/Pit Mix a couple years ago. My condolences to you and your family Doug. Not been a good start to the year for you but it will get better. She has had a great life and she will gently go where she was loved, which is what means the most. Take it easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom