Tobacco Roots Trail Ride July 8th - 9th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy gang,

This weekend we will be heading into the Tobacco Roots on the North Meadow Creek trail. This is a rugged trail. Expect to drag your differentials and control arms at times. I would also advise sliders on this one. We will camp overnight at Twin Lakes, providing we don't get shut down from snow. A friend was up there a week ago, and reported quite a bit of snow still. With the warm temps this week, hopefully we will have some melting. Depending on trail conditions and group size, we may also make the attempt to get to the other lakes in the area. Please come equipped with recovery gear.

Please be prepared with food and water for the weekend, or a way to filter water or snow along the way. It may also be chilly at night so plan accordingly.

Please post up if you plan to attend!

Also... since it's an over-nighter, rough idea on stops/food needed? Will we be stopping for a lunch and pushing on to the camp spot (dinner), breakfast in the morning, then? Another lunch stop or are we out before lunch? Just trying to gauge how much food to bring/prepare.

p.s. Control arms? LOL Solid front and rear axles, baby! (But to be honest, my concern is the "sliders" part.... is it really that brutal of a trail to be concerned without them?)

I dont think there is any thing that I could say that would be helpful except repeat my tag line, ok I'l say it any way..

Wait for a "spotter", because parts can get expensive.

I returned both of my running boards to more resemble a linear shape with a pony bar clamp and a big hammer. I have added 2.5 of lift since then and I am still learning how to drive. Sliders in progress.

I'd prepare for full days. We will make lunch stops both days. Timing very much depends on the number of vehicles. This is definitely a rough trail. Not large boulders, but definitely some diff bashers. I don't recall being on my sliders for this one, but this is the roughest trail in the area. And the scenery is beautiful!

I crushed my stock running boards my first time on that trail. I now have sliders. There are some large rocks out there. I also keep destroying my side view mirrors on that trail. It's the toughest in the area and is my favorite. Beautiful area. Lots of moose up there. I won't be able to make it though.

Man...this is a tough decision then. I'd hate to let my fear of the unknown win and miss an opportunity to go on a great trip. While I don't have sliders yet, I do have front and rear steel diff guards. At the same time, it's still my daily driver and would hate to get in over my head and damage something at best or break something at worst. I guess for now, put me down as TENTATIVE.

Man...this is a tough decision then. I'd hate to let my fear of the unknown win and miss an opportunity to go on a great trip. While I don't have sliders yet, I do have front and rear steel diff guards. At the same time, it's still my daily driver and would hate to get in over my head and damage something at best or break something at worst. I guess for now, put me down as TENTATIVE.
You'll probably be fine....probably.

Ok, that makes it an easy decision then! LOL Thanks for the "help", buddy!
Lol! Sorry man! There are a lot of variables. Some trails seem to get harder while others get easier. But you can take my probably as a solid and definite maybe!! Lol!

When you say this trail is rough. Where would it be compaired to the tough spots on the morrison trail? Dents on the sliders dont scare me but the rear diff thing does, especially since i have that skid plate on order. Sounds like tom and i are in.

When you say this trail is rough. Where would it be compaired to the tough spots on the morrison trail? Dents on the sliders dont scare me but the rear diff thing does, especially since i have that skid plate on order. Sounds like tom and i are in.
The Morrison isn't too bad. You'll drag your rear diff, but it will be fine. You might have to grind away some of the relocated metal to pull the drain plug. Rear lca's might get some scuffs also.

Was having trouble figuring out which one was from last time. Was this the one you were saying would be harder the second day for those who want to push it?

Was having trouble figuring out which one was from last time. Was this the one you were saying would be harder the second day for those who want to push it?
Going out to McKelvey lake probably won't happen on this trip. Lockers and winches would be preferred to make it safely. We might start up to it to check out the snow levels. But just getting out to Twin lakes will be a fun challenge. The picture collection is listed under Twin Lakes. The only other trails that will be this challenging will be going out to eureka mine and the goose lake trail. Both are on the calendar.

I found the pictures from the last trip (was a bit of a challenge because they aren't clearly marked/headlined on the site - maybe the webmaster can clean it up/organize it?). I think I'm going to skip this one this time, unfortunately. I'll probably end up going out to the Pony area and roam around the more mild trails out there and end up camping out there or Potosi... if anyone wants to join me, I'd be happy to have company! Any takers??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom