To Winch or not to Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it OK to do a loop on a recovery strap and get it back attached to itself with a shackle while holding something in the loop?

also, any reason not to "fold" a recovery strap lengthwise, as in put a 3" strap through a 2" shackle, say? (I don't mean the end loops which are narrower usually I guess)

E

E, the jack is supposed to fall away as you winch! It's just there to hold the truck up to break the suction temporarily. You jack up, winch, jack up, winch, jack up, winch, etc etc.

As for folding a strap, I have done it several times. The only downside would be if what you are connecting the middle of the strap to is the least bit abrasive it could cause damage to the strap. The ends are usually wrapped in leather to protect them, but obviously the middle is not. As for whether that will be equally as strong, I would definately say yes.

Ary

Arya Ebrahimi said:
E, the jack is supposed to fall away as you winch! It's just there to hold the truck up to break the suction temporarily. You jack up, winch, jack up, winch, jack up, winch, etc etc.

As for folding a strap, I have done it several times. The only downside would be if what you are connecting the middle of the strap to is the least bit abrasive it could cause damage to the strap. The ends are usually wrapped in leather to protect them, but obviously the middle is not. As for whether that will be equally as strong, I would definately say yes.

Ary

and having the jack and truck fall back down is just dandy? no metal dented, twisted, etc or bystanders hurt by flying metal...?

I would just fold it in a clean shackle so that should be fine I would think. Could also take a bit of leather along to put around the shackle etc.

How about tying the strap back to itself in the middle?

E

E, hi-lifts like to fall down, they're pretty damned good at it. lol Obviously you need to make sure everyone stands clear and preferably remove the handle. It also helps to have a solid front or rear bumper to jack off of so that the jack slipping off wouldn't damage the bumper. Again, this isn't standard practice, but more of a worst case scenario. He did mention that he was anchored to two trucks and they were just being pulled to him.

As for tieing the strap back to itself, I wouldn't recommend that, simply because it's a B!TCH to untie knotted straps. If you're in a situation where you have no other feasible choice, I would make the knot loosely, insert a large stick(like 1" in diameter) and then cinch the knot down. Having the stick as part of the knot will allow you to work the knot apart after the pull is finished. This method also works for joining two straps together by looping them through eachother. Just insert the stick in b/w the loops before tightening the straps.

Ary

Sounds like a pretty smart feller. :flipoff2:

e9999 said:
and having the jack and truck fall back down is just dandy? no metal dented, twisted, etc or bystanders hurt by flying metal...?

E

If you're lifting the truck to break suction you're obviously on very soft ground. It not like you're jacking the vehicle 60 inches into the air and then dropping it on a pile of rocks.

Recently picked up a copy of the "4 Wheeler's Bible". Pretty darn good stuff in there including a section of recovery techniques that details hand winching, hi-lift use, proper gear etc. Good read. $12 or so at Amazon.com AND, it's got a picture of a Cruiser on the front! ;)

E99999999999999,

Never use a D-shackle to attach 2 straps. Deaths have occured.

-B-

Arya Ebrahimi said:
E, hi-lifts like to fall down, they're pretty damned good at it. lol Obviously you need to make sure everyone stands clear and preferably remove the handle. It also helps to have a solid front or rear bumper to jack off of so that the jack slipping off wouldn't damage the bumper. Again, this isn't standard practice, but more of a worst case scenario. He did mention that he was anchored to two trucks and they were just being pulled to him.

As for tieing the strap back to itself, I wouldn't recommend that, simply because it's a B!TCH to untie knotted straps. If you're in a situation where you have no other feasible choice, I would make the knot loosely, insert a large stick(like 1" in diameter) and then cinch the knot down. Having the stick as part of the knot will allow you to work the knot apart after the pull is finished. This method also works for joining two straps together by looping them through eachother. Just insert the stick in b/w the loops before tightening the straps.

Ary

I knew about the stick trick, but seems like that might damage the strap?

E

Beowulf said:
E99999999999999,

Never use a D-shackle to attach 2 straps. Deaths have occured.

-B-

I was thinking about attaching the end loop to the middle of the same strap, but same idea. Very good point, if the strap were to break, the shackle could go flying...

So you don't use a shackle to attach the strap to a tree saver either, then?

E

e9999 said:
I knew about the stick trick, but seems like that might damage the strap?

E

A rolled up magazine (say, maybe, TT?) works well, too. Done this a few times.

Knots R Us said:
Most strap/rope looses about 50% of its strength when knotted, depending on the knot.

Knots R Us...........................bwahahahhah :D

97 FZJ80 said:
...I have a airbag jack that is designed to lift the vehicle on soft ground. Anyone used one of these?

Exhaust powered?

My take on winches...

I have owned several different winch setups on personal setups (Warn, Ramsey, Toyota) and hands down, you get what you pay for...

Does every rig need one? Well I would make in issue of neccesity rather than cost. Do you often travel into the backcountry where a "support rig" may be few and far between? Do you often wheel with someone that has one?

I get my winch out about every trip it seems like, most of the time for others, but on occasion it has saved my Cruiser from some cold nights buried in snow or mud.

:D

This is an interestin' thread.

Mods. Should we have a How to Wheel thread on the FAQ page? Maybe everyone can give some tips based upon experiences?

You don't have to have a winch. It sure is nice though. I love the extra sense of security too, but, keep in mind that it doesn't do any good unless you have something to hook it to. If $ isn't an issue then get one.

I would suggest a Highlift regardless of having the winch or not. Too valuable and inexpensive to not have.

Tooth Fairy said:
This is an interestin' thread.

Mods. Should we have a How to Wheel thread on the FAQ page? Maybe everyone can give some tips based upon experiences?

You don't have to have a winch. It sure is nice though. I love the extra sense of security too, but, keep in mind that it doesn't do any good unless you have something to hook it to. If $ isn't an issue then get one.

I would suggest a Highlift regardless of having the winch or not. Too valuable and inexpensive to not have.

yea, and then the HiLift is invaluable if you want to look like Patton (or is that CDan) and walk around holding your stuff all the time - after having been belted between the legs by the handle...
E

e9999 said:
yea, and then the HiLift is invaluable if you want to look like Patton (or is that CDan) and walk around holding your stuff all the time - after having been belted between the legs by the handle...
E

A Hi-Lift is a tool that needs to be respected and is potentially dangerous if not respected. However, with proper precautions the Hi-Lift jack can be used safely and effectively. It's like a gun, sure, you can shoot yourself/someone with it, but only if you don't know what you're doing. Otherwise it can be a very useful tool for procuring food or just for fun.

Ary

97 FZJ80 said:

The ARB one? We sold one to a guy years ago, but we never acutally saw it work... How do you like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom