To Winch or not to Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trifor(SP), but they are like $400.

e9999 said:
are there decent handwinches that can readily move a stuck cruiser?
Would not mind one of those. Seen plenty of comealongs but the inexpensive ones are usually very flimsy looking and may be good for 1000 lbs or so?
E

e9999 said:
are there decent handwinches that can readily move a stuck cruiser?
Would not mind one of those. Seen plenty of comealongs but the inexpensive ones are usually very flimsy looking and may be good for 1000 lbs or so?
E

Hi-Lift with the winching attachment. Rated at 7000 lbs. Not at all bad on price.

If you look above, you'd see this :)

bjowett said:
With 2 yougins in the back, I say go for it. You never know... better to have it and never use it than to not have it and it need it once. If you don't want to spend the cash, go for one of these http://www.morepowerpuller.com. It is heavey, and can be clumsy, but is dead nuts reliable. My unit is well over 13 years old, and has proven waaaaaaaay to useful.... been pulling me out since I was a teen.

4.jpg

bjowett said:
If you look above, you'd see this :)

ooops, sorry, didn't see that

I guess the main difference with the high lift is then that
- the hi-lift can be used to jack things up :doh:
- the comealong can do a lot more distance at one shot than the hilift (how do you readjust the length constanty with the hilift if you have to move a big distance?)

E

Brian -

Looks good. Price isn't bad either. Looks like the 2 ton (dead lift) with 35' cable would be enough?

Only minor differences exist bewteen the two models. When you figure 2 ton dead, and factor in the industry safety standard, you begin to understand how beefy it is.... then you pick one up! :eek: short answer, 2 is enough, 3 is better.

Any tutorials for the rookie on how to use the come-alongs and hi-lift in different situations?

Thanks,
Rookie2

Rookie2 said:
Any tutorials for the rookie on how to use the come-alongs and hi-lift in different situations?

Thanks,
Rookie2

hot dang, how come you're still a rookie?

E

Since we're on the topic of winches, I had an idea today and was wondering if anyone had tried it.

Has anyone created a mount to go behind the stock bumper and have the cable come through a hawse fairlead where the factory liscense plate mount is? I briefly stuck my head under there and I think one could fit a 9500 non-i(remote mountable solenoid pack) in that space. Obviously a mount would have to be fabricated to bridge the frame rails as well as reinforce the bumper as the bumper would not be strong enough to hold the fairlead. However I think it would be a pretty cool place to put a winch for the non-hardcore folks who desire a winch. If no one else has tried it I will see if I can't mock something up this weekend, or at least hold my old busted Ramsey 8k up there to see if it would fit.

Ary

e9999 said:
hot dang, how come you're still a rookie?

E
In regards to wheeling:

A. No sliders
B. No lift
C. No scatchy
D. No experience

Got her runnin' pretty good though (Knock on your LC's fake decaled wood grain) :D.

:beer:
Rookie2

thats a similar set up to the OEM 80 series winchs.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Since we're on the topic of winches, I had an idea today and was wondering if anyone had tried it.

Has anyone created a mount to go behind the stock bumper and have the cable come through a hawse fairlead where the factory liscense plate mount is? I briefly stuck my head under there and I think one could fit a 9500 non-i(remote mountable solenoid pack) in that space. Obviously a mount would have to be fabricated to bridge the frame rails as well as reinforce the bumper as the bumper would not be strong enough to hold the fairlead. However I think it would be a pretty cool place to put a winch for the non-hardcore folks who desire a winch. If no one else has tried it I will see if I can't mock something up this weekend, or at least hold my old busted Ramsey 8k up there to see if it would fit.

Ary

Rookie2 said:

Thanks,
Rookie2

Come-alongs are great for pulling caves :D . Come on up to the farm when calving season happens and I'll be happy to give you a tutorial. :cool:

correct, non US only

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Lemme guess, not available on US-spec 80's?

I found a front bumper on SOR that was for the PTO equipped 80's for $60. Might have to pick that up if I go through with this idea(it already has the cutout in the front face where the liscense plate is on US-spec 80's).

Ary

Arya Ebrahimi said:

Ary

I would like to do the same except not with the factory bumper, want to make a smaller/cleaner looking custom bumper, some Warn winches can be narrowed fairly easily, you loose cable capcaity

MoJ said:

well, there is one aspect of the discussion in there that I found a concern. It seems like he says that he was lifting the truck up on the jack and then winching it. Seems like the jack could fly off easy doing this, no?

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom