1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Weld or Not to Weld

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by kling-on, Mar 3, 2004.

1. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    all things equal would you ...

1)open frt locker rear
    2)locker frnt open rear
    3)shut up and weld the rear and locker the frnt

this is a driven trail/hunting truck that my folks need to drive to and from the hunting lease when I'm not wheeling the piss out of it ... and yes its on the 60 with 456's and 33 hope to find 35 soon

2. tewlman

tewlman

shut up and weld, if you want to save $$. otherwise lock both :D)

3. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    id hate to drive a welded front, you are going to be squeeling everywhere and have alot of stress on your Birfs.. i doubt they will last too long, but maybe.. Id weld the rear till you have some cash on a front locker..!

4. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=isotel link=board=1;threadid=12494;start=msg114657#msg114657 date=1078357591]
    id hate to drive a welded front, you are going to be squeeling everywhere and have alot of stress on your Birfs.. i doubt they will last too long, but maybe.. Id weld the rear till you have some cash on a front locker..!
    [/quote]

OH NO I would never weld the frnt .. just the rear but I got used set of drop out and there "suposed" to have a Det in one... just wondering what ya'll would do

5. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Me...

ARB's.

You-

I would go with one of the valu-lok options lokrite or aussie..that way, when something does brake, you may not have to find a whole third member, and you might be able to drive it home...

If it were going to be strictly a trail beater, I might think about welding it up...but I am really not a big fan of that, even tho many have had good luck with that method for years...to each their own..

Good luck!

-Steve

6. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    for any road use, you'll most likely hate the welded rear...unfortunately, the driving style of a rear lunchbox isn't significantly better, IMO.

I'm perfectly happy with my welded rear and EZ-Lock front...99% trail use tho, trailer queen on the road.

Since you have spare dropouts, weld the rear, lock the front, and when the complaints start to fly you can plan to swap out the rear for an ARB when $$ permints.

IF I had the $$, I'd be ARB front and rear....but as I've said before, I'm cheap....lol

7. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=12494;start=msg114690#msg114690 date=1078361827]
    for any road use, you'll most likely hate the welded rear...unfortunately, ....

IF I had the $$, I'd be ARB front and rear....but as I've said before, I'm cheap....lol
    [/quote]

Its gota be better than a det's with 37's SOA in a HEEP right I did dayly drive that :slap:

and trust me guys if i had a bunch of cash I would have ARB's but this deal was right on my pocket book ... traded labor :cheers:

8. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, it would be better. The wheelbase will help considerably...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">