to turbo or not to turbo?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I just completed my phase one of building out a 1976 HJ45 for "expedition" use. The truck has a 2H, 5 speed, etc.

My next phase is to add air lockers front and rear, dual batteries, troop seats in bed, cage to support roof rack and canvas top (to keep the kids dry in the rain), GPS and some other trail odds and ends.

I will use this truck to explore old mining roads in the Colorado mountains from 4000' to 13000' elevation. We usually drive to different spots, camp the night and move to the next sight. Side note: I do have a goal of driving Baja too).

So, here's the question: should I add a turbo? and if so, suggestions of manufacture (and more importantly, a manuf. that can guide me as to all the parts I will need?)

I really won't be driving the truck as a "highway" vehicle so I don't mind the lack of top end. What I do want is:

(1) dependability and reliability
(2) Decent mileage
(3) simplicity
(4) power (torque and some speed)
(5) altitude consideration

I will have this work done (should it be best) by a qualified mechanic in my area (Javier's in Houston) so I am not limited by MY ability. Also, although I don't want to spend a fortune, money is not a HUGE concern (as compared to my bullet points above).

So, ideas.....

Cheers!

Eddie
photo.jpg

yes .. turbo it's not a really hard job .. check my Tencha thread along with many others here in the forum .. you can run safe 8 PSI all the way in your engine without problems . and that ( the turbo ) will help a bunch in the altitude roads and expeditions targets ..

Turbo is to diesel as key is to lock.

That said, you are losing simplicity just a little, and if you don't need a whole lot more power then it's probably just not all THAT important for you. That said, turbos are not particularly complicated, and the added power to cruise around at decent highway speeds without downshifting or slowing so much in the mountains is really, really nice.

If I were you, I'd go for a turboglide turbo, mostly because they are fairly available, complete and well regarded.

That's a nice looking HJ-45. I might have to track you down and check it out if you bring it to Colorado this summer. Might even get me off my butt and get working on my '76 HJ-45. ;)

Dan

Thanks!

Thanks guys; sounds like there is a turbo in my future.

DanS; very good, I'll start a search for the turboglide. I'd love to hook-up this summer if we could work something out; thanks.

Tapage; thank you too. i actually read your thread a day or two ago; thanks for replying. I loved reading your short story complete with pics (sounds like a true love affair!) I love your good attitude as to making the most of your situation (convertible top-genius!)...and...I have a beagle too, thought I was looking at him in your last pic.

So, 8psi boost; turboglide.
Question, will I have to mod my hood to fit in the turbo?

Cheers!
Eddie

DanS; very good, I'll start a search for the turboglide. I'd love to hook-up this summer if we could work something out; thanks.

Tapage; thank you too. i actually read your thread a day or two ago; thanks for replying. I loved reading your short story complete with pics (sounds like a true love affair!) I love your good attitude as to making the most of your situation (convertible top-genius!)...and...I have a beagle too, thought I was looking at him in your last pic.

Cheers!
Eddie

Depends on exhaust manifold, but most likely no need for hoop chopping..

for the increase in driveability at altitude, more than anything else, I'd opt for a turbo

my 2H really hated anything over about 7,000ft

if you keep the boost low, you shouldn't have any real issues. Also, since highway and higher speed are not a concern, take it easy on the fuel and you should see lower EGTs and a general increase in mileage, which will increase your cruising range.... which is never a bad thing.

I can't speak to kits: my approach was to sell the 2H and buy an hd-t80...

Nice looking truck, by the way.

G'day Eddie, you have a sweet cruiser right there! If i was you i'd only go the turbo-route if i was going to be at altitude for extended periods. I'd prefer to keep the 2H stock for simplicity, but you would suffer at altitude without forced induction.

I have a 2H in a HJ60 that I installed the TurboGlide kit on to. The kit is well made from someone that's been doing it for years, so you're guaranteed that it'll work properly and reliably in your application. The kit contains everything that's needed for the installation complete with instructions. The only thing you need to complement the installation is a new exhaust system, which they recommend that you go with at least a 2.5 inch with a free flowing (or no) muffler. I run mine without a muffler. It's not too loud at all. With a turbo is also recommended that you install a boost and EGT guage. The TurboGlide kit is set so the wastegate opens at approx 10 psi and my EGT's never go past 975-1000 *F. The kit can be ordered directly from TurboGlide in Australia and shipping took about a week only.
With the turbo fuel consumption decreased slightly and you'll notice the difference in driveability especially when going uphill.
Good luck...

Cheers!
Eddie

I drove my 2H powered 60 series with and without a turbo through Baja and the souther-western deserts, including the Utah elevations. The turbo makes all the difference. You will simply enjoy the truck more, and also save on fuel, especially at elevation. I now have a turbo glide system on for 60k miles and so far it is great.
You will not need a hood scoop, and the new system they have does not require welding in the oil-return anymore. The turbo is self governing with the gate valve and comes set at max 11psi from turboglide. however, I rarely hit that, unless on the highway with 3k rpm, usually it runs at 8 max.
Installation is simple and straight-forward, you'll be done in 4 hours (and some for the gauges).
Personally I think for an expedition truck you'll be better off with a turbo than with lockers. If you are on a real expedition you will not drive into stuff that requires 2 lockers to get back out.

cheers,
J

PS: as 87 said above. You need a new exhaust system-I have 2.5 inches as well with a free flow muffler and it works great.
I actually experienced better mpg, but drive it pretty conservatively.

I have a Denco turbo kit that should be arriving with my freight today.

If you're interested, phone and I'll give you a price quote.

~John

Thanks guys, wealth of info.
I am assuming that whoever I purchase the turbo from (assuming a "company"), they should/would also know all the items that need to be included to result in a complete kit? Also, it looks like the only other consideration is the exhaust; which would be done by my local muffler shop. Would there be any value going 3" as opposed to 2.5"? Also, I think I want to include a flow through muffler as opposed to no muffler.
After the turbo install, will there need to be tuning of any sort? If so, does this need to be done from time to time? And finally, I gather that this decreases my "simplicity" factor a bit, if so, what should I expect as a result; what "can" go wrong; what are typical "issues" and how do I prepare myself for them? (sorry-I'm a very inquisitive sort...)
I'm not too worried about inspection, but with this mod, will it be more difficult to pass an inspection?

Thanks again guys!

Cheers, Eddie

Thanks guys, wealth of info.
I am assuming that whoever I purchase the turbo from (assuming a "company"), they should/would also know all the items that need to be included to result in a complete kit? Also, it looks like the only other consideration is the exhaust; which would be done by my local muffler shop. Would there be any value going 3" as opposed to 2.5"? Also, I think I want to include a flow through muffler as opposed to no muffler.
After the turbo install, will there need to be tuning of any sort? If so, does this need to be done from time to time? And finally, I gather that this decreases my "simplicity" factor a bit, if so, what should I expect as a result; what "can" go wrong; what are typical "issues" and how do I prepare myself for them? (sorry-I'm a very inquisitive sort...)
I'm not too worried about inspection, but with this mod, will it be more difficult to pass an inspection?

Thanks again guys!

Cheers, Eddie

The kits should have everything besides the exhaust and the gauges. Some come with water cooling, some not. There are many discussions about that, but it does not seem to be necessary on a diesel turbo.

No value going 3'' over 2.5'', but it gets MUCH more expensive.

The only tuning is in the very beginning, when you will have to match fuel delivery versus boost and temperature. usually turning up the fuel slightly will do the trick. This is really easy (2 minute procedure).

A good turbo will not change the reliability of the truck. If the turbo fails you can take it off and limp home, gut it and limp home, or if you are really concerned take your old manifold and a connection to the exhaust with you. then you can remove the turbo if it dies and go back to regular. I would call the way paranoid though.

Should be no problem passing inspection at all.

cheers,
J

J is right on with this. The only things not included in a turbo kit will be the exhaust and gauges. You should, without a doubt, budget for a pyrometer.

Once you install the turbo, you'll see how noisy it is. A straight through muffler is the most that I'd put on. The turbo really does 95% of the job of a muffler on a typical vehicle.

The issues to worry about with a turbo as opposed to normally asiprated:
  • You can cook your engine. This is why you need a pyrometer to monitor the EGTs
  • If water cooled, a failure of the water line will cause your engine to overheat as the coolant is pumped overboard
  • The oil lines also could fail and you could lose oil pressure.
  • If the turbo fails, it will act as a restriction and seriously limit your power. As mentioned above, you can easily carry around the old manifold to limp home if you're concerned about it. (I personally am not)
  • It creates a lot of heat under the hood, which can affect other things like wiring harnesses, fluid lines and whatnot.

Frankly, basic preventative maintenance and watching your EGTs will prevent almost all of the problems that can be associated with a turbo. You should consider the pyrometer to be an absolute minimum, but if you've got the room a boost gauge is pretty neat too. It is at least a simple way to know how much boost you are making (although EGTs are a very good power indication as well), and it's fun to watch the needles move around.

Dan

AXT vs Turboglide

Not to hijack this forum, but on the subject of turbos, I've talked to the owner of Kodiak customs (Canada), apparrently the only North American AXT distributor. Does anyone have any experience with AXT turbos? I've got a 1981 HJ47 w/ a 2H and the turbo will be my first upgrade. I want the best one for the money. I can't get the people from AXt to respond via email and the Kodiak dude is not responding either. Although others here seem to respect his operation (he may be on vacation). My problem is I get psyched to do these mods and then can't get the suppliers to send the gear quickly enough. If Turboglide or Denco is as good or better than AXT, maybe that's the way i should go? Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
I've seen plenty of AXT turbos running down here .. most of 'em in Nissan Patrols with TD42 NA engine .. no problems at all ..

Forgot to mention that I also have the experience with turbo glide turbo kits and works right too ...

contact turbo glide in Oz and order your own
or
contact Dan at 4 wheelauto and see what he has to offer...
or
contact Mike at westcoastcruisers and see what he has to offer...

there are many fish in the sea to eat from...

Cheers!
Eddie

Try this site, go turboglide it will make you smile when you step on the long pedal.
Turbo-Glide: Toyota 2H high mount Garrett T28 diesel turbocharger kit suits HJ60 and HJ75 series

Jim

turboglide

I emailed Turboglide and Westcoast cruisers, I'll see what they say. 4 wheelauto doesn't show any turbo kits on their website.
The turboglide website mentions doing a dyno on the motors before they install the turbo so as to not exceed 30% increase in horsepower. That won't be an option doing it myself. I"m assuming that keeping the boost at under 10 psi would keep the HP gain in that 30% range thus keeping the stress on the motor down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom