to turbo or not to turbo?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And, as stated, you can call me - I deal in Denco Turbo and I am sure that I can provide better pricing than AXT.

I only keep a few of each model in stock and we installed the 2H turbo we had in stock on an HJ40 over the weekend. Have little tuning to do, but works nicely and is a relatively easy installation.

I have more coming in soon, or I can have one directly delivered to your location.

~John
IMGP7455.jpg
IMGP7456.jpg
IMGP7492.jpg

Denco Turbo

Who makes the turbo on the Denco kit? It looks like a pretty nice unit.

It's a Schwitzer - very nice quality stuff.

~john

i will second the Schwitzer being high quality...

those are a very clean kit John.

got a price for a PZ kit? i am thinking of turboing Little Red and might try a different turbo this time around.
you know, just for s***s and giggles...

wayne@crushersrule.com

my 2 cents............

If you wanna DIY it'll save you at least a grand if not more. there are plenty of turbo build threads on this forum including my own.

I've got so much to do on this truck, I need all the short cuts I can get. So, a DIY turbo project won't work. I'm leaning towards a turboglide system, but haven't made the purchase yet. I bought a mig welder and will begin cutting out rusty parts and welding in new metal this week. Then the turbo, and 5-speed tranny next. $6000.00 for those 2 projects if I do the labor. The 5 speed with rebuilt transfer case = $2995.00.

I know, there's no end to this project, so no point in getting impatient. I'm looking forward to making some progress though.

Here's some pictures of my TurboGlide install.
Installation was simple and straightforward. Everything needed for the install is included in the kit. The hardest part was removing the nuts from the exhaust manifold studs.
Turbo_6.jpg
Turbo_8.jpg
Turbo_7.jpg

Nice turbo!

I like it. That's what i'm talkin about! My air cleaner will go the opposite way into a canister type air cleaner and then out to a Safari snorkle. I'm assuming it goes the other way out because i have RHD ,,,right? Thanks for the picture, I'm stoked!

Did you have any issues tuning your system? Did you turn up the fuel delivery or have to adjust the blow off valve?

'Tuning' the system after the install was simple. However you do need to install a EGT and boost gauge. I turned up the fuel screw on the injector pump about one full turn. Tuning is by trial and error and what your preference is. Guys have been saying to adjust the fuel screw so that when under full load the EGT doesn't go above 1150-1200•F. I have mine set so that it doesn't go beyond 1000•F.
There's no blow off valve installed but I think you're referring to the wastegate. The TurboGlide kit has the wastegate adjusted to open at approx. 10psi. TurboGlide recommends leaving it where it's set as they say it's a good compromise between power and long term engine reliability. You can adjust the wastegate if you wanted for extra boost but that's up to you.
Other than that the only other thing you'll need to do is have a free flowing exhaust put in. After that, enjoy....!!!

Thanks, I'll get the gauges ordered this week. The turbo will be ordered in a couple of days. Turboglide!

Here's a link to the clubhouse where Jay installed a Denco Turbo on his HJ40.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-bc-vancouver-island-cruisers/381072-hj40-turbo.html

We'd post more photos and info of the install, but between the two of us it was back together and running in something like 3 hours - so we didn't get that many photos of it all. The install was so slick and easy that you barely even need to read the directions - though there are a few good tips in there.

In case anyone is interested, I will be placing an order with Denco for more turbos in the next couple of days. These thing are heavy (like 24 to 28Kg each kit) and shipping is best by pallet or container to keep freight costs in check. Pricing will be on our website soon, but I have to get some time to add that info. If you want info the turbos, have a look at the Denco website. If you want to place an order, call us please.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom