To TRD supercharge or not... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Something to keep in mind is you will need to run premium fuel so you will spend a bit more on gas at the pump. I almost pulled the trigger but decided I want a diesel more.

Installed mine just over 3 years ago at 170k. Replaced the head gasket at the same time. Have 197k now with no issues and still enjoy it.

Im from the NOT side:flipoff2:

I had a SC for a few years but now never again. Being from Arizona heat will always be an issue. Maybe not all the time but it is something you need to keep an eye on if you push it hard. The power increase is not enough to excite me for the trade off. 6.0 gen3 would be my choice if I needed more power in an 80 and it will smoke your SC across the board.;p

I agree with Phil. This is a land cruiser, not a sports car. IIRC you have to run premium too, so higher fuel cost with worse mileage. Save your cash and go with a 1HZ/1HDT diesel. orangefj45 has some and can do the conversion. Or go with a 2UZ-FE if you want a gasser.

I ran premium day one of owning my LX way back in 97. I attribute my clean intake system to it.

I installed the TRD S/C just over three years ago with around 160K on the clock... the HG had already been done way back at 65K miles. Since the TRD install, we have towed our little 17' Casita RV (~320 pounds) some 25K miles and enjoyed every foot of it. Gas mileage really didn't change. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Cost - What would a new HG and supercharger cost if you did some of the work? Maybe $5k.
What would a diesel or a gases cost to install? Maybe $15k.

Resale - With a motor swap you will have to find the right buyer. With the TRD supercharger, it was a factory option and might be easier to sell.

Fun - I enjoy my SC engine. It's fun and it's plenty quick. I'd imagine that the V8 swap would be even better.

Someday I'd like the 6.0 but it won't be happening for years if ever.

A good list of pros and cons. Valid arguments. A couple things I'd throw in:

Less space under the hood with SC stuff = less room to breath and more difficult to dissipate heat at lower speeds. I had to add an aux fan to keep mine cool while on the rocks in the summer. But I also have a lot of other crap crammed under the hood that doesn't help.

On the flip side it took me 4 hours to install my SC and I was taking my sweet time... with a big grin on my face. For those who want to get some horses quick and move on with their lives the SC is a good choice.

3-years and 50k later, dozens of backcountry trips through the desert, I have NO regrets.

...my opinion is obviously biased :D
..............................................................................................................................

P1310771.jpg

Last edited:
:grinpimp: I need this in my life. How much was the SC?

4 hours? Damn thats fast.:clap:

A good list of pros and cons. Valid arguments. A couple things I'd throw in:

Less space under the hood with SC stuff = less room to breath and more difficult to dissipate heat at lower speeds. I had to add an aux fan to keep mine cool while on the rocks in the summer. But I also have a lot of other crap crammed under the hood that doesn't help.

On the flip side it took me 4 hours to install my SC and I was taking my sweet time... with a big grin on my face. For those who want to get some horses quick and move on with their lives the SC is a good choice.

3-years and 50k later, dozens of backcountry trips through the desert, I have NO regrets.

...my opinion is obviously biased :D
..............................................................................................................................

Where is your washer bottle?
I'm about to pull the pin on a S/C but would like to install a second battery as well, and I was wondering where to put the washer bottle?
Thanks!

Where is your washer bottle? I'm about to pull the pin on a S/C but would like to install a second battery as well, and I was wondering where to put the washer bottle? Thanks!

I did the JDM washer bottle which puts it inside the DS fender.

Where is your washer bottle?
I'm about to pull the pin on a S/C but would like to install a second battery as well, and I was wondering where to put the washer bottle?
Thanks!

I did the JDM washer bottle which puts it inside the DS fender.

I put mine together before I knew mud even existed so maybe better solutions out there like NLXs but here's what I came up with: I picked up an extra coolant overflow bottle and bracket. I drilled hole in the new bottle and attached the pump and gasket and installed it in the original overflow bottle position in front of the secondary battery. I extended the pump wiring and washer hose to reach the new washer bottle position. I installed the new overflow bottle bracket and the old overflow bottle in front of the primary battery. I picked up a coolant overflow hose from a Mitsubishi dealer. I cant remember what year but some Montero Sports have the overflow in the same position. Installed a couple of p-clamps to secure the hose. Worked out pretty slick. About 3 years later no problems. You can see it all in the pic I posted. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and congrats on the SC!

Im from the NOT side:flipoff2:

I had a SC for a few years but now never again. Being from Arizona heat will always be an issue. Maybe not all the time but it is something you need to keep an eye on if you push it hard. The power increase is not enough to excite me for the trade off. 6.0 gen3 would be my choice if I needed more power in an 80 and it will smoke your SC across the board.;p

Pretty much, I feel the same.

I had an 04 Taco with the TRD S/C. Just about the same thing as the 80 set up without having to worry so much about the HG. Although on the Taco it is top mount and on the 80 I believe it is side mount? I put the S/C on at 70k and did about 60-65k with it on the truck. 25k of that was in Latin America. I loved the power but it took sometime and money to get it set up right. It wasn't just buy the kit and bolt it on. Perhaps the 80 doesn't have the same issues but heat sink was the #1 problem. Heat sink at about 40k miles after the S/C install fried the TPS in the throttle body. Toyota doesn't sell that sensor only the TB as an assembly at nearly $1000. After replacing the TB I used a spacer to reduce heat sink, that worked for the other 25k miles I put on it and I didn't have TB sensor problems again. #2 problem is pinging. I went TRD 7th injector first which sucked. Didin't work right and had a lot of issues with it. Put on a URD 7th and all was well. #3 issue was the nose cone requires a rebuild every 60k miles. As recommended by the folks that make them for TRD. Mine started leaking oil at about 50k miles. Hence how I found out the manufacturer recommends the rebuild, actually they just say replace it. Which I did, not bad price wise though at about $250. #4 problem was fuel expense, drop in mileage and expensive parts. I got 12-14mpg regularly after the S/C and only ran 91 or better. In relation to this I took a truck that had not so good range and reduced it and also made it so I needed 91 or better fuel. Result of that was putting in an aux tank to increase range. I changed out the TRD thermostat which they say is required when the S/C goes on. I had done that when the S/C went on but decided to replace it at about 50k miles. It was well over $100 from Toyota!

All in all it cost a lot more than the initial price of the S/C kit.

A v8 swap is money better spent in my opinion. I have had two v8 Cruisers since I had the Taco, a 60 & an 80. I like both more than the Taco when it comes to the engine and drivetrain. Parts are dirt cheap, the engines have been strong, run well, take a beating and give me little to no dramas. Upgrades are dirt cheap. At this point, other than a TD there is no other motor I would want in a Cruiser than a GM v8! They just go well together.

Cheers

I have read alot of threads on the trd SC and finally decided to pull the trigger and purchase one. I have it sitting new in the box ready to be installed. Just need to find the time.

Here's my take on it. Having done an engine (vortec) swap before on an FJ40 some people don't realize what is actually involved in swapping an engine into a vehicle and making it actually work correctly. There are a lot, a lot of variables that must be addressed. This takes time, money and patience if doing it yourself OR alot of money if paying someone to do it. When I was working on cruisers for a part time living I shyed away from doing engine swaps for exactly this reason. I knew that in the end the customer would be not ok with the enormous bill he would be getting and the extra time I would of haved to put into doing the swap to make it perfect. Again, many guys say "just swap in a gm V8" like it is a very easy process. IMO it is not. Yes all the aftermarket gear is there but there will be many issues along the way you will have to work through.

Second is the fact that IMO, unless a v8 swap is done very well, and even then, it will never be as reliable as a stock toyota straight six engine. I can always move backward from a SC if I don't like it. In my older age I have learned to leave good enough alone and now realize the benefits to keeping things as stock as possible from the factory.

In the end my plan is to do an air to air intercooler, SC, aluminum rad, 2.8 pulley, blue fan clutch, hood vents and hood scoop for the IC. I expect most of the heat issues to be adressed. I am unsure if I will do the HG. IMO the HG thing is a bit overamplified on mud, but I may eat my words, time will tell. I purchased a radiator HG test kit to ensure I am not getting any leaking now. If I am not I will most likely adjust the valves properly and just install everything.

Hope that helps.

Noah

SNIP

In the end my plan is to do an air to air intercooler, SC, aluminum rad, 2.8 pulley, blue fan clutch, hood vents and hood scoop for the IC. I expect most of the heat issues to be adressed. I am unsure if I will do the HG. IMO the HG thing is a bit overamplified on mud, but I may eat my words, time will tell. I purchased a radiator HG test kit to ensure I am not getting any leaking now. If I am not I will most likely adjust the valves properly and just install everything.

Hope that helps.

Noah

#1 super charger cooling mod is a new fan, P/N 16361-61020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom