to tint or not to tint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so lots of you guys don't tint your windows....any particular reason? I'm thinking of taking my truck to mexico and I;m thinking tint would be nice, no?

When I bought my 62, it was tinted. I couldn't see out well at night, so I took it off. Now I'm planning to re-tint it with a lighter shade. The 60 series has more glass than an aquarium and here in TX, it gets HOT!

Check your state laws: SUVs since about 1991 had a factory option of privacy glass" (20% light transmission) all but the front 2 windows which is legal in all 50 states. But it's illegal in some states (including CO) to then do anything to the front 2 widows if the back is darker than 35%.

My 2 Rootbeer 60s are tinted 35% bronze 3M all around. 20% is too dark IMHO, even if it's on the rear only.

TX used to allow tint on the windshield also if you had a RX! And they think they have sun - nothing like CO has at 10,000'+. But then Texans think they have the most of everything (expecting mucho flamo from the lonestars).

I took my tint off because it was old, cracking and peeling etc.

I would like to put a light tint back on when the time is needed. For now I'm in IN so the sun does not shine about half the year:eek: .

However, I really do like the clean 'fish aquarium' look of the truck without the tint.

Try to tint the rear windows with a reflective tint. It makes a HUGE difference in the summer, and also adds another layer of protection in the event of a broken window. The tint film acts as another anti-shatter screen. That's why I have tint on my windows in the house Tinted glass will not shatter.

It is something that I have thought about since getting in the cruiser in July is like stepping into a torture chamber, but I like the looks of it without tint and have had a hard time seeing at night out of vehicles that are tinted. I plan on doing some soul searching this winter and decide whether it is something that I want to do prior to the spring.

No tint, I tinted most of my cars when I was in HS. But I like the clean and clear look now that I am older. And clean your interior if it looks that bad! Good grief. And tint helps some with heat, but not a ton. All of our cars have cloth interior and none are black int. Which are the 2 main issues with an extremely hot interior.

I do like factory tint on the wife's 4runner though. But most aftermarket type are too good. I think they make the glass with it inside or something, b/c its not a film on it.

IMO, anything that reduces visibility is lame. Plus, the hottest sun is midday, and the nearly vertical angle of the windows in a 60/62 admit relatively little hot sun during that time of day.

i've got mild tint on mine...does help to keep it cooler and it's not so dark that i can't see out

I thought no tint, why simple .. my TLC are not my DD and is very showy then I keep it clean, no radio, no tool boxes, no CD mag, no nothing .. keep thieves away ..

love my tint. go quality for sure though. mine has light tint in front for visibility then gets darker as you go back. i sleep in back when camping and you can't see in.

Pictures?????

I am planning on tinting the hell out of my cruiser. ONLY the back windows, I hate driving in cars where the fronts are tinted.
I want the back tinted because over time it has been turning into more of an expedition vehicle, so I want more privacy and the security of people not seeing in.

Here's a pic of my tint. It's kind of dark and sometimes hard to see out of at night, especially when backing up. It's not the great of a pic, but it's all I've got here at work. Hope this can give you an idea of what it might look like.

Proffitt
roof rack side 1.jpg

I tinted my 62 when i first got it. I like it for hiding stuff inside, having gone to mexico (Baja) a lot it gives a feeling of security. And it does keep it cooler inside so your surfboard wax dosnt melt all over the place.

I decided to tint my windows when i got a brand new windshield installed. I went with 5% on everything but the front windows, it is harder to see at night when backing up but it is nice. On the front windows i went 50% along with the windshield. Alot of people shake there head when i say that but you can not really tell the difference from the outside, and it definetly cuts down on the glare. I wouldnt recomend goin very dark on the lighter colored cruisers because it stands out. Ill post some pics tomorrow._Dylan

here's a pic of my tint. i don't know the %'s but it gets darker as you go back. that's my son digging for thunder eggs in central oregon:)

Last edited:
The biggest advantage for dark tint, for me at least, is for security reasons. I keep a lot of 'stuff' in the back of the truck, especially on trips in the mountains or down in Baja, and anything that conceals what's inside is helpful. Makes me feel a little better about sleeping in the back in shady areas too.... Tough visibility at night though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom