To those that have deleted their AHC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just did mine this weekend and went with OME 2.5" Med kit and was worried it would be too stiff after reading comments here but I am very happy with the ride.

No upgrade to the sway bar. I think I could remove it and still handle better than the AHC.

My ACH did fail in the front and I was sitting on the bumpstops. IDK if the accident I was in caused it or just timing. Insurance says timing and refusing to fix anything on the suspension... probably because the quote was $9,500 just to fix the front suspension.

I've got OME 1.5" med springs and ToughDog 45mm rear adjustables with extended endlinks. I can hustle the truck through the curves with this setup (and a 120 lbs rtt) and do not feel the need to swap for the thicker bar.

Replaced AHC with ToughDog last February. Added the extended links, but didn't replace, nor have felt a need to replace the anti-sway bars.

going to put OME 2.5" lift on my LX at some point soon. Always ran OME and loved the ride and have been very happy with theyre products.

For those that replaced your AHC, did you miss it afterwards? I know i'll miss the smoothness of AHC, so i hope that day would never come for me that i have to decide between fixing the AHC or rip it out. I'm a mechanic i can fix everything myself but parts wise i'll have to see how much it'll cost.

For those that replaced your AHC, did you miss it afterwards? I know i'll miss the smoothness of AHC, so i hope that day would never come for me that i have to decide between fixing the AHC or rip it out. I'm a mechanic i can fix everything myself but parts wise i'll have to see how much it'll cost.
I do miss it, but not too much. Mine was in its way out, the height control was working but the dampness or whatever you want to call it wasn't there anymore. Now it's stiffer, but not that bad.

What would be the reason to upgrade the rear sway bar? This is the first time I’m hearing about this.

I ask because the previous owner removed the AHC but did not swap the sway bar for LC unit ( I understand it’s a little thicker) I want to run my Ikamper 150#, arb 2500 and the rack which will probably weight 60#

I ask because the previous owner removed the AHC but did not swap the sway bar for LC unit ( I understand it’s a little thicker) I want to run my Ikamper 150#, arb 2500 and the rack which will probably weight 60#
Are you sure you’re not confusing the term sway bar and torsion bar? Pretty sure sway bars are the exact same part number between AHC and conventional trucks. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Are you sure you’re not confusing the term sway bar and torsion bar? Pretty sure sway bars are the exact same part number between AHC and conventional trucks. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.
AHC sway bars are different. The sway bar and bushings are different but all other hardware are the same.

@Natchez The swaybar diameter difference is very minimal. I'd suggest going with Whiteline swaybars instead (27mm).

I thought I would. Being able to adjust the suspension on the fly, say, as I'm going into a highway ramp, was pretty cool. It was also mildly convenient and partly novel to be able to adjust the height as needed (let's be honest, most of us probably make up justification for it anyway). But, no, I don't miss it. With the weight on my front end my Ralphs are just as smooth as the working AHC. Plus the storage pocket in place of the AHC controller on the console is a crucial part of the interior. My truck handles better than the AHC, is slightly firmer, and won't have the maintenance concerns ever again.

IMO, if the AHC fits your purposes and it's functioning properly, I'd keep it. The biggest reason I ripped mine out right away is because I had a wrecked LC with a BRAND NEW full suspension on it that I wasn't going to let the insurance company have.

My ToughDog setup (53mm front/45mm rear on heavy dual-rate coils) corners better than the AHC ever did. I can take highway ramp flyovers at 70mph comfortably with no lean. Have never felt the need to replace the anti-sway bars. The ToughDog shocks and quality springs make a massive difference. Heck, last year I had to take evasive action at 65mph to miss a kitten in the highway. Truck didn't lose control at all and remained remarkably stable (never felt like I was going to roll it) and I was able to stop the rig and retrieve the kitten safely. The extended links allow the anti-sway bar to keep from binding up and limiting travel. I honestly think I could run without the anti-sway bar and not see much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom