to swap engines or front quarter panel and grill? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a total noobie on these engines. I have a crashed 91 and a blown head yesterday on a 92 with at least 370K miles. The 91 was running well before I was attacked by a mesquite tree going about 15 mph. Those trees can move fast when they know you are looking at the coffee spill instead of the road. The 91 did pull to the left and that gave the tree an additional advantage.
Or would it be just simpler and easier to put the 92 sheet metal on the 91 and leave that engine there? It had an exhaust manifold leak but other than that only 194K original on it.
My trusted local mechanic is pegging the engine swap labor cost at about $2K. They have always treated me well for like 20 yrs.
Any and all input welcome. And/or I need a starting point and procedures to swap engines.

Switch Sheet metal and have them fix the exhaust while it is there.

that was my decision yesterday until I started trying to pull bolts away from mangled sheet metal. almost have the radiator pulled. there is so much stuff bolted to that quarter panel.

that was my decision yesterday until I started trying to pull bolts away from mangled sheet metal. almost have the radiator pulled. there is so much stuff bolted to that quarter panel.
I have coolant in the 1st 3 cylinders on the 91. Does this automatically imply a blown head gasket or just the intake manifold gasket? Intake would be easier than the mangled sheet metal and replacement.

If you think that quarter panel has a lot bolted to it, you should see how many bolts must be removed to swap the engine...........

Post pics.

You have coolant in the first three cylinders in the 91 or the 92?

You can cut away any of the damaged body that is preventing access to bolts, as long as it is stuff your going to replace.

Maybe the first thing you should focus on are the cupholders.

I mean, what really started this entire issue anyway?
A defective or missing cupholder?
How could you let that happen? This is a serious safety issue we're talking about!

You need to be in touch with @bhicks or go to O'Reilly Auto parts and pick up a couple of the small cupholders.

Do this before you go hacking away at sheet metal!

Get your priorities straight, man!

Maybe the first thing you should focus on are the cupholders.

I mean, what really started this entire issue anyway?
A defective or missing cupholder?
How could you let that happen? This is a serious safety issue we're talking about!

You need to be in touch with @bhicks or go to O'Reilly Auto parts and pick up a couple of the small cupholders.

Do this before you go hacking away at sheet metal!

Get your priorities straight, man!
it was a latte and the insulator sleeve won't fit in the cup holder. I am still in denial and blaming it all on the Mesquite tree.

now I really screwed up by taking the solenoid off the starter and can't get the rotor past the brushes. The #FE factory manual I have doesn't have that section. Anyone know how to get it back in place?

now I really screwed up by taking the solenoid off the starter and can't get the rotor past the brushes. The #FE factory manual I have doesn't have that section. Anyone know how to get it back in place?
I have been trying to pull the starter out of the 92 but it doesn't seem to have a space to drop out. any ideas there?
or just go back to the beer and urine plan?

One powertrain has 370K

The easier to fix one has 194K

The math does itself.

The only reason I wouldn't be prioritizing the 194K one is if it has rust the other doesn't, or a ton of issues.

That would be my take on this deal.

I'm going for the 91 with 194K. I figured out how to keep the solenoid parts together and then get the splines lined up: duct tape that solenoid so it doesn't come apart and jump out of the brushes.
what would we ever do without duct tape?

I'm back to working on the '91. anyone know if the intake manifold has coolant ports? maybe a new intake gasket is all I need? and what about running Sodium Silicate through the system?

I just took a look at the intake manifold ports and where it meets the gasket, 4 of 6 are clean and the last 2 at firewall end are oxidized and purple.
does that sound like a manifold gasket issue? We were going to start on the head but intake manifold would be so much easier. any input or comments?

A direct motor swap is a one man weekend job at its worst and a single 12 hour day at best. If you have a cherry picker (engine hoist) an engine leveler a ratchet set and a driveway to work in I'd do the deed myself if I were you. You can get the cherry picker and leveler and a nice tool set for under $800. And your have all these things afterward. Seriously, the biggest problem is people overthink the process. Literally remove the bumper, grill, radiator and AC condensor and middle core support section push the rest of the stuff aside, unplug the ECU wiring and push it through the firewall. Disconnect the wires and hoses that attach the engine and trans to the body, unbolt the drivelines and the shifter linkage. Then I bolt the trans x-member and isolator and the motor mounts and Pull the engine and trans out as one unit. It took me less than 4 hours working alone to do that on mine. Most cars I've worked on took me less than 3 to get the motor and trans out, some less than 2. Swapping the same motor and trans from one vehicle to the next is a straigh forward task that doesn't take a lot of knowledge or tools and shouldn't cost $2000 in labor.

I need to get the '91 motor running again first; been sitting for 11 months now and I robbed Peter to pay Paul's '92. I ordered the intake manifold gasket and will pray to the automotive gods mañana.

can anyone provide anymore detail for getting the intake manifold assembly off? I have the manual and pg EM 18 only addresses it briefly and I can really tell from the scanned page images where the heck those bolts are. and starting with the air injection manifold no detail at all.
I have the new Remflex compressible gasket. and need to get the 92 Cruiser running immediately since my wife's Buick got T-boned yesterday.
thanks, Chaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom