To sell or not to Sell.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey there...looking for advice on what LC's sell for. Not that this is entirely a financial situation, but I am weighing options...

I have a 98LC with 181k miles.

what I've done in last year:
restored driver, passenger, center console, and steering wheel leather (LSEAT)
Changed out door actuator motors
New head unit (bluetooth, navigation, backup cam, etc)
New radio antenna
New exhaust (rear half, not manifolds)
new Toyota shocks all around
new sway bar links and brackets on the front (rear are fine)
new brakes pads and rotors all around
less than 10K miles on Falken Wilkpeak (slightly larger sized)
LED lights everywhere inside
New bulbs in headlights
New MAF
New starter
TIMING Belt just done w water pump
oil services always done on time
new rear and hood strut arms
new windshield (factory)
gone through with mechanic and taken care of little things here and there

Everything works as it should. Windows, sensors, AC, etc. No engine lights, codes, etc. No weird sounds etc. This thing runs like a 10K mile corolla! :)

Problem for me is I have another car just sitting in the garage that is a more practical daily driver...and I'm also thinking about selling both and upgrading to a 200 series.

What are the thoughts...as much as I love driving this and the street cred it has, my wife and I are feeling a little self conscious pulling up to friend's cars in something more than 20 years old that is pretty much stock and with paint that is nothing special.

Thinking “not to sell”. Did a paint correction, repainted the rims, painted the emblems, and wiped down all the plastic trim, recharged the AC. Let me know what you all think...

...just in time for a CEL light to pop on!!! Haha

B215BE52-E06E-4A9B-9900-1FAD09E361CE.jpeg

F5E4B078-A5C7-43FF-8B1F-E6B370DE60F9.jpeg

21EC1C2A-58EB-4A82-9DE7-2722B044DB21.jpeg

325998E4-2BB7-4EC7-86A6-DF826F120544.jpeg

F2607D06-31EF-4DA0-A94D-2B636A1DAFB4.jpeg

Just need to figure a fix for the number clear coat. Auto body shop quotes $1k to sand and respect. I’m doubtful I can do a good enough job as a DIY. Any advice??

13D406C6-9A23-4E11-BA4A-24F1D54FF1D6.jpeg

F2A6144B-F763-4975-9754-F9EBB10EA61A.jpeg

I have some advice, Do what most guys did in high school. Get some blood,sweat and tears- mix them together add some grease with dirt, after that apply evenly to every small detail that will be seen. Then Do some cool mods and make sure rear seats are removed so the drive in movies will be more exciting. Don’t forget after movies, after dropping her off on Time-Reinstall Seats, Air down and have some fun in 4 low with the guys and beverage of choice.
Enjoy 😉 it

Seriously tho- You a good amount of money invested,as do many of us. The return is worth it- they last like no other. Brake booster May go, $2000. Maintain pan drain on trans, change oil religiously. Front end will need attention over 200k miles, certainly if you crank them tbars up! New cv axles from Mr T ain’t cheap, then a rack, Probably A arms as you will need ball joints eventually.
All of that is few thousand bucks and then add touch up to front and rear bumper paint. Now you have a very nice looking dependable rig that will drive a looong time.
Sell other paid off vehicle, lift 100 with bumpers and new tires and “ Shazam” Your so called friends will drool and ask to go off roading with talks of buying there own Nissan or Whatever 4x4 while you drive 200k more miles

I have some advice, Do what most guys did in high school. Get some blood,sweat and tears- mix them together add some grease with dirt, after that apply evenly to every small detail that will be seen. Then Do some cool mods and make sure rear seats are removed so the drive in movies will be more exciting. Don’t forget after movies, after dropping her off on Time-Reinstall Seats, Air down and have some fun in 4 low with the guys and beverage of choice.
Enjoy 😉 it
My wife would love the removed back seats and a drive in movie. We’d end up taking a nap from having no kids around for a few!

Seriously tho- You a good amount of money invested,as do many of us. The return is worth it- they last like no other. Brake booster May go, $2000. Maintain pan drain on trans, change oil religiously. Front end will need attention over 200k miles, certainly if you crank them tbars up! New cv axles from Mr T ain’t cheap, then a rack, Probably A arms as you will need ball joints eventually.
All of that is few thousand bucks and then add touch up to front and rear bumper paint. Now you have a very nice looking dependable rig that will drive a looong time.
Sell other paid off vehicle, lift 100 with bumpers and new tires and “ Shazam” Your so called friends will drool and ask to go off roading with talks of buying there own Nissan or Whatever 4x4 while you drive 200k more miles
Nice that I’ve already done the brake booster, along with all new brake lines. I think you’re right that it’ll roll on. Thanks

A couple of YouTube videos and some patience and you can repaint those bumpers.

If mine looked like yours I wouldn't sell. Mine stock and just looks like I don't have enough money to a buy a car from this century..

I think yours looks better because it's the best color. Too bad you're about as far away as possible. I'd just ignore the bumper paint. ..

Hey Ponch- He is some enthusiasm for ya. Lift,Tires,bumpers/ money well spent. You will not regret it, and we all want to see you do it 👍

B9B68874-4A35-402E-8117-53D7516172B2.jpeg

7E5F481B-446C-439E-B27D-F123A27568D7.jpeg

Had your truck been for sale back in early march I would've given you $7k-$8k for it with everything you said you've had done.

When did you see a new volvo driving around aleppo, Ulaanbaatar, nairobi, etc. If you are that worried about what your friends think, trade the volvo in on a TRD Pro, or cheaper idea is get some Lexus emblems and slap them on, your friends sound too stupid to know the difference.

Your truck is clean and worth keeping.

@Mods, move this to teh 100 series tech section....he did ask about wheel touch ups and coil spring spacers after all

I explored sand blasting or buying replacement rims, cost for both was just about $350-400 plus mounting tires again.
The paint on bumpers is a $500 job (where I'm being quoted)
Removal of the steps free...it's debatable that looks better...maybe I need to see some images for comparison.

Basically I'm not sure pumping 1/4 of the value of the vehicle into minor asthetics is worth it. I can be persuaded though...talk to me

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4299.JPG

Maybe this should be called -- to sell or to spend $1000 to sweeten up. In which case, what would you all suggest?
Sell the benz and put it all into the 100!!
The crusty 100 is a better, more reliable car than a new Benz
Very well said , Sir

Just need to figure a fix for the number clear coat. Auto body shop quotes $1k to sand and respect. I’m doubtful I can do a good enough job as a DIY. Any advice??

View attachment 2343420

View attachment 2343421

Dude you can do this for less than $100. Sand it down until it's nice and smooth with 600 grit sand paper, hit it with some gun metal wheel paint, then clear it with this clear (ebay or amazon search 2K clear coat. get 2 cans.

3/4 can per bumper and 1/4 can for each side of the small trim..

Amazon product ASIN B00W2D806Y

That clear coat is hardened with an activator, once dry, will look shiny and cure hard like automotive paint. It's a bumper that's a different color so you don't have to match it exactly, just match with all the other parts. Even my GF can do this, very easy to do.

Ceramic coat that bitch. You will love it....That blue will ffffucking pop and blow your mind if you get a good ceramic coating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom