To Rebuild or not to rebuild...the carb. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I checked out the 350 by hand cranking it with the intake manifold, and valve covers removed. Everything looked fine and dandy, so I think I am ready to put it back together. It came with a Rochester Quadrajet, but it's definitely in need of a rebuild. Is this carb worth rebuilding? Or should I buck up and buy a shiny new one? I've never heard of Rochester before, but that doesn't mean much at all. Thanks for the help in advance.

Rebuild kits are cheap. Buy a can of carb dip, and a kit. If the rebuild doesn't turn out you won't be out much. A rebuilt carb is the next option. Third would be a shiny new one but this aint no cheap option. Rochester is to the chevy engine what the Aisin is to the toyota engine. Stock but works better than almost anything you can put on it cause thats what they built it for. Just my 2 cents worth.

Les

Agreed. It's hard to improve on a good stock quadrajet.
Edelbrock makes a descent replacement carb if you want to retain reasonable fuel economy. I like the adjustability of the edelbrock carb. last time I bought one new from summit it was about 240 bananas. Probably more now.

"When I started wheeling over 20 years ago, I spent a lot of time at the campfire listening to the old timers talking about their experiences. I ran with a group of Chevy people who had basically tried everything available on the market. Their carb stories were always the same. They cussed out the ‘Quadra junk’ and put on a Holley. Six months later the Holley was on the shelf and they were sure a Carter AFB would be the silver bullet. A year later, the venerable Rochester was back on the rig! I figured I just saved myself a lot of headache and $$ by leaving well-enough alone. "

Section 050 FAQ ;)

I don't know if you have ever rebuilt one, but it is not the kind of carb to pick as your first rebuild experience. You really need to pay attention to where things go and how they fit when taking it apart and putting it back together. Most auto stores have rebuilt units on the shelf for under $100.

I have some carb experience from my baja bug days, and it sounds like stock is the way to go. I'll look around for a rebuild kit and give it a whirl. I'm sure you all will hear from me again soon, but thank you for the advice.

Q-jets are good carbs. Just pay attention what goes where taking it apart and you will be OK. Unlike a Solex, there are at least 2 of everything and most of them only go back one way. If the throttle shaft bushings are worn out, just trade it in on a rebuilt.

There should be a seven or eight digit number running vertically up the side of one of the ribs of the carb. Sometimes, depending on the number, they can tell you what car or truck the carb came from, and that can be VERY helpful. I would much prefer to be working on an early to mid 70s Qjet than say an 84.

NOT ALL Q-JETS ARE EQUAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom