To paint or to raptor liner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just acquired this truck and want to turn it into a lake, offroad, get the kids in the mountains camping rig.

Would you believe this is a perfect interior rig with 150k miles?

It looks absolutely hideous so I'm looking for opinions.....drop it off at Maaco for their $500 special or raptor liner it in the garage? This route will not look anywhere near perfect for their $500 paint job but just a respray will make it look TONS better.

I have no experience with painting cars so if I go the raptor liner route it will probably look pretty bad, make a mess, but cost about $250.

My 5 year old son wants to put raptor scratch marks all over it and tell people we just went to Jurassic Park.

20200713_175025.jpg

20200713_175031.jpg

20200713_175040.jpg

20200713_175332.jpg

20200713_175334.jpg

I was going to say the Maaco job until I saw the roof pics.

Was it in a rollover? Is that rust?

Many here use Monstaliner with good results. Easy to roll on and can be done for the $250 range I believe.

Go with whatever body color you like, then do a white or off-white on the roof to help keep the interior a bit cooler.

Monsta line it I tried to paint mine serveral different ways then vynil wrapped it then tried monsta liner and was bummed I wasted so much time on the other methods.

IMG_4673.jpeg

Line it. The body looks beat, not worth the effort to get it ready for shiny paint.

You can't monstaliner over that kind of damage. Looks like you have bondo with rust underneath it. If you monstaliner over rust it will accelerate the spread of the rust significantly once covered with monstaliner and the liner will begin to lift. First grind out the bondo and rust and see what your dealing with.

You can't monstaliner over that kind of damage. Looks like you have bondo with rust underneath it. If you monstaliner over rust it will accelerate the spread of the rust significantly once covered with monstaliner and the liner will begin to lift. First grind out the bondo and rust and see what your dealing with.
Seems like alot of work instead of being on the water or in the woods.

I'll sand it, roll the monstaliner on to make it look better and roll with it.

It's got a rebuilt title aswell so turning it from a 50 footer to a 10 footer is the goal lol.

Thanks guys for all the help. Love this forum.

I found a pic on the forum of a cool monstaliner color. Anyone know what color this is?

IMG_0274.JPG

"all nighter" on their site and on the swatch they sent it looked grey but its almost a seafoam green. I love it

I did Raptor liner on the roof and rear hatch of my '95 80... came out great and is really on there. My comments are as follow:
1) Like any paint job, 90% of the work is prep. Prep, prep, prep... sanding, cleaning, taping, cleaning again, adhesion promoter, painting, then drying/curing for days without being allowed to get wet.
2) Spraying the liner on with the supplied gun is easy and fun... make sure you have a good mask - the stuff really smells! Especially if painting indoors!
3) Dirt loves Raptor liner. It's a course finish, lots of nooks and crannies for dirt; dirt gets on, dirt stays on. Especially on the roof. Sure, cleaning is not much different than paint, but a rag is worthless, you need a brush to clean it.
4) No need to wax, ever again!
5) Say good bye to desert pinstripes and minor scratches, they just don't happen... or if they do, you can't see them so who cares.

So, it's a good bad kinda thing.

I’m generally not fond of liner on anything but burgundy 80’s - but that roof is rough.

I’d sand back the Bondo, use some rust converter on it & feather back the area they sealed the moonroof - liner over all the gasket but save as much glass as you want.

Another vote for white roof/whatever color exterior matches your interior leather color.

With only 150K mechanically it should serve you well for a long time once you get that roof sealed up & squared away.

GL!

Good gravy, did one of those swamp logger fellows pull that thing out of a river? All kidding aside, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Yikes. That's alot of prep

Yikes. That's alot of prep

Yeah, but once he gets past the prep work of the A-pillar & roof lip / looks like shattered moonroof glass, it has potential to look quite respectable with a liner job.

@Bo S - If that moonroof is cracked, I’d either steel plug it or swap in glass just to prevent down-the-road issues, like driving washboard access roads & some glass working loose - plus I’d want to do a quality seam sealer like roof sealer (no silicone, raptor won’t stick to it) if the moonroof is sealed for a reason from the wreck.

Ditch the fender flares, foiltape or pop-rivot the holes closed & pull the running boards at least for the liner job so you don‘t need to mask as much.

I used to do bedliners when Rhino was the only thing going (~1993ish) - so if youtube doesn’t show you enough vids to get you spraying, LMK.

One thing that does annoy me is the fine grit D-A sanders people use - we took beds down to rough bare metal with 4” grinders & 80 grit - sure it was excessive, but I only ever did one repair where a logger’s chainsaw rode & chewed the liner.

You can totally use a D-A / orbital for this, but either paint or liner, you gotta lose all that peeling clearcoat to get solid paint you can put a solid ‘tooth’ to for the liner to bond to.

Yours is perfect candidate for liner IMO.

And I don’t say that too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom