To paint or not to paint my new rear bumper cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm thinking of just leaving it black and not painting it, giving it that matte look of a steel bumper. Any downsides to this with regards to future staining? Anyone do this on theirs?

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 12.11.03 PM.png
1591377168560.png

Won't it discolor and fade in the sun, turn sorta grayish white? It's plastic?

Would look ghetto, unless you paint your trim and front bumper flat black too. Just hit it with a rattle can with similar color to the trims, doesn't have to be exact match and put a good coat of clear on it.

Leave it black as-is, rattle can it, or whatever else you want to do. I rolled on bedliner on mine. Will probably fade in another year or two but I don’t really GAS what it looks like.
57096DB4-1B5C-46AE-BB3A-83926BF9AF41.jpeg

I'm thinking of just leaving it black and not painting it, giving it that matte look of a steel bumper. Any downsides to this with regards to future staining? Anyone do this on theirs?

View attachment 2330411View attachment 2330418

That's a primer and it's not meant to be left unpainted. You can, but it will stain and it will fade. Won't really hurt anything, other than just looking cheap.

I'd pick up a can of aerosol paint. Better yet, if you can find someone near you with a compressor and spray gun at home, you could get good single stage paint on there for under $50 in materials (probably just need 1 pint) and 1 hour of labor that would last decades without fading. Painting a fresh bumper is cake (nearly zero prep work if you're not expecting show quality perfection). Deciding to go back a year or two from now and paint it would be hours of prepwork.

As a hobbyist auto-paint DIY person myself, painting stuff like that is downright fun. Super quick, super easy and makes a hell of a difference in long term aesthetics.

I can definitely hit it with aerosol. And can definitely have some fun with trying out my skills at spray gun ( would have to upgrade my 5 gal comp).

Just got a TJM front bumper so I am trying to get away from OEM paint to balance things out and the raw material seemed pretty cool.

is that an unpainted bumper? I like the way it looks... any issues with fading?
The rear "step" area of your current OE bumper is unpainted. It will fade just as much as that after 20 years.

Well, son talked me into getting some plasti dip (graphite). If it looks bad then we *should* be able to peel off :)
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 12.33.38 AM.png

Well, son talked me into getting some plasti dip (graphite). If it looks bad then we *should* be able to peel off :) View attachment 2332143

Nice! If it ends up being hard to remove, my trick is to simply paint on another coat or two. Good choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom