To middle Seat or Not to middle seat.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have struggled with the thought of removing the middle seats and want to pull the trigger on it. I got rid of my third seats long ago! :)

Now, I would not throw the middle seats away, but remove them and extend or build an additional platform to extend the rear platform. It would be easier for our boys to get in and out. Also, it will easier on my back.;) At this time, they ride on the middle seats where I have build a platform. They are separated by cargo nets in the front and rear of the middle seats.

Okay so here are pros and cons:

Pros:
- Lower to the ground for me and my boys
- In response to folks who say can we go camping or hunting or hiking, "sorry, I can only take one passenger and that seat is already taken by the :princess:.
- More sleeping space for all concerned, including our boys
- possible more storage space
- We have alternative vehicles for family if need to take passengers.

Cons:
:)
355.jpg

I say go for it. Those seats are just taking up space.When I was younger road trips
were always on my agenda , first thing to go was the back seats, makes the truck
feel twice the size. And if memory serves me your "boys" need all the space they
can get. Speaking of, more pics of you rig and the boys please!!!!

I plan to take the seat out behind the driver... Set it up for my sleeping comfort.. And more storage, I would say do it.. And take pics of what you end up doing

1shot, you've got a ton more goodies on your rig than I do, but I've had my 2nd row seats out for awhile now and haven't missed them one bit... just me and the lady most of the time, so its no inconvenience. and it does open up a lot more room! I think if you pull them out, you won't miss them. I do have mine sitting in the garage (with the carpet, plastic interior pieces, and running boards), so they're there if I decide to haul some people friends!

Just another thought. We sometimes travel with the middle row removed and the jump seats (3rd row) still in. This way we can have massive floor space for sleeping, but if during an extended trip we need to have two more in seatbelts, we just fold down jumpseats. The kids love being in the way back seats, and their backs recline unlike the middle row. Just a suggestion.

Dougm

I take them out at whim, whenever the need for sleeping space is needed. I have a board that bolts in to extend the floor over the footwell.

I've had mhy driver's side middle seat out for a long time. My son sits on the Pass side and there is plenty of room next to him for the dogs. THe back cargo area has my toolboxes and the spare so there isn't much pooch room there anymore.

It's also a bit easier for the dogs (one of whom is 10 and creaky) to get in the side door then over the tailgate as well.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why do you have a platform on your middle seats?
Why don't your boys sit on the actual seats?
And where are they going to sit if you take the seats out?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why do you have a platform on your middle seats?
Why don't your boys sit on the actual seats?
And where are they going to sit if you take the seats out?

But for the platform and the blue retainer they would fall between the front and the middle row seats! These boys weigh over 245lbs and need a secure area to seat/stand/sleep while traveling.

I say go for it. Those seats are just taking up space.When I was younger road trips
were always on my agenda , first thing to go was the back seats, makes the truck
feel twice the size. And if memory serves me your "boys" need all the space they
can get. Speaking of, more pics of you rig and the boys please!!!!

Here you go!:cheers:
Desert March 2009 057.jpg
July June 2009 061.jpg
madras April 2009 018.jpg

But for the platform and the blue retainer they would fall between the front and the middle row seats! These boys weigh over 245lbs and need a secure area to seat/stand/sleep while traveling.

Only people that have been following your threads have a clue what you are referring to by 'boys'. I was wondering the same thing.

Okay, they are coming out! Thanks! You guys are harsh and had to really twist my arm!:cheers:

But, I have to make sure it is secure so it does not move! One of you suggested to bolt it down. I wonder if I can use the existing holes and the brackets from seats to secure the platform?!!!

Your boys will thank you for it!

Not quite what you are considering, but here are pics of what I did in my truck when I remove the 2nd row seats for outings. Of course, I'm by myself and use the drawer and extension for my sleeping platform.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/140001-drawer-system-extension.html?highlight=drawer

I'd say go for it since it's just you, the :princess: and the 'boys'. It'd give them lots more room back there.

Before the drawer, fridge etc. I'd remove the 2nd row seats and I'd just taken a scrap piece of plywood to cover the 2nd row footwells and make a completely flat surface. It bolted to the 2nd row seat location and had a few 2x4 pieces for feet to support the extension. If you were in SoCal, I'd give it to you. It'd match your gray interior!

Just another thought. We sometimes travel with the middle row removed and the jump seats (3rd row) still in. This way we can have massive floor space for sleeping, but if during an extended trip we need to have two more in seatbelts, we just fold down jumpseats. The kids love being in the way back seats, and their backs recline unlike the middle row. Just a suggestion.

Dougm

I've done this a few times as well and it works well but slightly confused about the seat reclining. Surely both the middle and the jump seats recline? :confused: I'm fairly certain both of mine do...

Jamie

Not quite what you are considering, but here are pics of what I did in my truck when I remove the 2nd row seats for outings. Of course, I'm by myself and use the drawer and extension for my sleeping platform.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/140001-drawer-system-extension.html?highlight=drawer

I'd say go for it since it's just you, the :princess: and the 'boys'. It'd give them lots more room back there.

Before the drawer, fridge etc. I'd remove the 2nd row seats and I'd just taken a scrap piece of plywood to cover the 2nd row footwells and make a completely flat surface. It bolted to the 2nd row seat location and had a few 2x4 pieces for feet to support the extension. If you were in SoCal, I'd give it to you. It'd match your gray interior!

That's a great setup! Thanks for the offer. I wish I were closer! I have something in mind. I will tackle it this weekend. I have three projects I need to do. 1) seats 2)cargo box underneath3)solar setup!:)

Dougm

We do the same as doug~!

Dougm

Thanks! But, I have a platform back there which I need! I wish the LC was as long as troopie!;)

Oh...."Boys"....I get it.
I WAS missing something.
Nice rig!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom