To longfield or not to longfield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

torfab

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.torfab.com
I have a v8, locked in the front, with 35's and I busted my first birf the other day backing up a hill. I didn't have that much torque on the wheels, but I do admit to the blunder of backing up and turning at the same time in 4 wheel drive.

The birf left it's mark on the inner axle as well, by gumming up the end so as to be stuck on the inner ball carrier.

The question is - do I go for the 600$ longfield 30 spline kit? replace it with a regular birf, or get the longfield 27 spline for 205$ (birf alone).

I need help getting over the fence on this one...

I'd go with 27 spline Long inner and outers. Way stronger than stock, less expensive than the 30 spline and in the remote event that you break one- you could get by with a stock replacement.

If you plan to go bigger in the future, go 30 spline, but if you plan to stay with 35s- I'd do 27 spline.

I also wouldn't replace just the birf. Go ahead and upgrade inners and outers at the same time. A stronger birf just moves the weak point to the inner axle shaft, which can be more difficult to change.

My $.02

IMO, do it all at once....

I've thoroughly abused my 30-spline Long setup...thoroughly....100:1 gearing, 37" tires, low pressure, hydro assist, and no steering stops installed...none. I've been in MANY spots where "normal" stuff would break, and they've held fine so far.

I've busted a Poly 4340 inner too...very few folks have...

Other than full on comp wheelin, I'm about as hard on stuff as you can be....Long's survive...

woody said:
IMO, do it all at once....

X2 - The 30 spline superset is the way to go. The only reservation I have when out is the lack of trail spares, but as long as there's plenty-o-pops back at camp, I will survive.

Polak said:
X2 - The 30 spline superset is the way to go. The only reservation I have when out is the lack of trail spares, but as long as there's plenty-o-pops back at camp, I will survive.

That's why you keep your stock inner axles and birfs. .

Tigerstripe40 said:
That's why you keep your stock inner axles and birfs. .

for those that have seen me wheel, you know I wouldn't make it out of camp on stockers....

particularly GSMTR...I thoroughly thrashed my front end in the campground rock garden ;) full lock, no stops, reverse....1st at full lock would spin the rig to the right...keep it full lock, toss the auto into Rev, and it would rotate HARD back left, stuffing the left front into a rock, still at full lock....took about 5 minutes of abuse, but it finally popped free

30 spline is what i am doing too..

for $420 you can get the cromo 27 splines, Then you may as well get the Axles

$550 for 27 inners and Birs

Only $100 More for The Beef..

I know its alot to spend, but woody and everyone is right, do it all and be done with it! Id rather spend $650 now, than $400 + $650 in a couple of years..

Oh yea, and For an extra $80 Get the Cromo Hub Gears.. They protect your new $650 Birfields and will move the Breakage point to the hub studs/ lockout Hub

I'd just run Warn hubs. I'd rather replace a warn hub than a birf or an inner.

And I'd rather break a hub body than have to try to extract broken studs.

But maybe I am just weird?

IMO do it all at once or just as cheaply as possible...

I broke a 27 spline long that came with the 27 spline + chromo inner kit before Bobby introduced the 30 spliner. Just a 1F, 67:1 and 38's.

I bet a stocker birf treated by bobby would hold up fine in your current situation, but if you have plans of going bigger/better in the future might as well just do it once.

I would at least include a set of Aisin hubs in that, no matter what you do, and a set of his lockout inner gears as well.

I'd just run Warn hubs. I'd rather replace a warn hub than a birf or an inner.

And I'd rather break a hub body than have to try to extract broken studs.

But maybe I am just weird?

You are just wierd. :flipoff2:

I can kind of see where you are coming from but FAR TO OFTEN when something breaks it takes out numerous other things with it, things that people don't normally carry (hub studs, threads in the wheel hub etc..) and any breakage, even if planned for could put you in a dangerous/difficult situation.

Know where the weakness are, strengthen your system as best you can and carry spares. Thats all you can do.

torslinning said:
Well, the 30 spline is on it's way, and will be installed tomorrow. Now there are no worries of broken birfs. Thanks for helping me over the fence guys!

Good job

I hope to get a set one day :crybaby:

How about going a step further with this discussion - I'm running a 71 axle with drums. I'd like to go with a disc brake conversion at some point. It looks like I have three options. Swap in a later axle. Use Toyota pickup truck parts. Or use the MAF conversion kit. I'm wondering which of the axle shaft sets (27 or 30)would mesh best with future brake upgrades, particularly using the same axle housing? And if you run a 30 spline, does this change the splines at the differential itself? If so, does this limit choices for lockers, etc?

For those who haven't seen it, the MAF disc brake kit is here
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/FrontDiscBrakeConversionKits.htm

30 spline will not interfere with anything, it just makes the splines at the birfield from 27 to 30. You will still have to grind out the knuckle housing a little bit to fit the bigger sized birf, but you have to do that anyways with 27 or 30.

I wouldn't go buy from Man-A-Fre, it will be a lot cheaper collecting parts. Collect the mini truck knuckles, spindle, brake caliper, hubs, and get a land cruiser rotor assembly (vented). Buy yourself a rebuild kit with bearings and gaskets and you are set.

Last edited:
Brian in Oregon said:
How about going a step further with this discussion - I'm running a 71 axle with drums. I'd like to go with a disc brake conversion at some point. It looks like I have three options. Swap in a later axle. Use Toyota pickup truck parts. Or use the MAF conversion kit. I'm wondering which of the axle shaft sets (27 or 30)would mesh best with future brake upgrades, particularly using the same axle housing? And if you run a 30 spline, does this change the splines at the differential itself? If so, does this limit choices for lockers, etc?

For those who haven't seen it, the MAF disc brake kit is here
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/FrontDiscBrakeConversionKits.htm

if you want to do a longfield birf upgrade of any kind you can not use the Man-a-Fre conversion because you still have the drum birf setup, Ie different housing, shorter spindle all the parts are wrong. If you wheel your truck and want disc you have 2 options mini truck or Fj60 stuff thats it.

Looks like I need to edjumakate myself some more in the tech section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom