To lock or not to lock.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been Toying (ha,ha) with whether or not to installl lockers on my '80. Yesterday, I found a pick and pull with a complete set (front,rear axles, switch, wires, controller, etc.) off of a '94. He wants $600 for the lot. Naturally, I'm living in a rental town-house out here w/no garage. I could go to Travis or Beale AFB and use the auto hobby shop (I'm retired Army), but I'm wondering how much of a pain this might entail to swap out the axles? Can I change an axle in an afternoon if I'm at an equipped shop? Any curve balls that might screw me up? And finally, any really good reason, other than it's cool, that I should do this? I am not a serious off-roader. Thanks.
Ned

$600 for the lot is cheap. I don't know the whole process, others can chime in on the job or search around here. There is a couple threads on the job.

Personally, I don't think there's a reason unless you're looking for a project. I've started retrofitting my 80 with rear lockers (I'll do the fronts when I get a complete axle).

It's a fun project, but is a bit of work.

Here's what I've done so far, just to give you an idea:
-bought complete rear axle, only using locking diff and passenger side axle

-rebuild locking diff w/ new pinion and carrier bearings. I did this just to make sure it was good. Mileage and year were unknown.

-bought rear sill wiring harness & differential lock wiring harness

-fabbed harness from rear driver side quarter panel to driver side kick panel.

-added front/rear diff locked light bulbs to dash

-added locking switch

-added locking control unit

I've yet to install the rebuilt 3rd member.

That's for the rear....the front I'll install the complete axle w/ 3rd member (when I find one :p).

It's a good deal if you have lots of time to mess with it. If your time is worth anything, save up and get the ARB's. Much easier and better. The easiest thing though is to sell your 80 and buy one with lockers. That's what I did. :)

For $600 you can mull it over for a while and then if you change your mind about the install you can easily sell them and get your $$ back and very possibly make a few $$ for your time and efforts.........

If you aren't a serious off-roader, you will spend $600 (+ miscellaneous parts/fluid) on something that right now you have no use for. Your signature line indicates a stock rig - maybe you can spend the money on parts that you will be more likely to use (CDL switch, sliders, tire upgrade, etc). If at a later time you feel limited by the lack of a locker, then re-assess the situation. You will be surpised what an un-locked 80 can do.

Agree. I have the lockers and don't use them often. I just spent the hole day driving hunting unit 6b and never even put it in low range much less use the lockers. Unless you are doing some serious offroading you would be better off with a lift and bigger tires.

I have only used the lockers when on club runs. I would not intentionally go on a trail that needed lockers without backup. So, unless you belong to a club or whell with well equiped friends, you shouldn't be going where you need lockkers.

From what I've gathered from recent threads... spend the $600 on sliders to better protect your catalytic converters... if your rig is only seeing pavement, those sliders might save you money from someone coming by and sawing off your cat conv.

It's a great deal if you will use them. If not turn some one else on to them. There is a pretty active group in your area, you might want to touch base with them and solicit some input.

buy-em and swap the whole axel. Swapping should be pretty straight forward. You can work on the wiring later.

Plus you can do one at a time (front and rear). Just swap the whole thing. The things I can think of are:

• removing and unbolting axle from suspension stuff including drive lines

• bleeding the brakes and disconnecting the lines

• I would rebuild both axles before installing. It would just be easier on a pallet or driveway I would also take a wire wheel to them and give them a nice paint job

• then source the wiring stuff either from the same place or another junk yard. This is something that you can do as you have time. And for a dumb monkey like me would be the most difficult. :hillbilly::banana::banana::banana::banana::

I think you should do it. I do not think you will regret it.

Good luck

for $600, you can ask the question for a while longer until you decide. You don't loose money either way.

Thanks for all of the good input guys!! I'm still mulling it over. I'll let you know what I finally decide.
:cheers:Ned

Thanks for all of the good input guys!! I'm still mulling it over. I'll let you know what I finally decide.
:cheers:Ned

A local to me ? Nice !

If you decide not to get em, send me a pm of where you found em and I'll pick em up :p

Until then, I won't swoop em from under you.

Cheers

I'd leave it alone at this point, as it seems that you don't have the need for lockers and that doing this project would be a time and space hassle for you. If you eventually decide that you need a locker, a rear Aussie locker is cheap (~$300?) and fairly easy to install from what I have read here (certainly easier than swapping axles and wiring)

I still think for $600 you should pick them up if can float the cash. I see no reason you can't easily get your money back out of them. If hadn't just put money into other areas of my 80 I'd drive down and pick up myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom