to lock or not to lock (high mileage rear axle) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hamishpotter

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello All,

I'm posting because I have an opportunity to pick up a locked rear axle (9.5"), wiring harness, and selector off a parted out, one-owner accident free cruiser with 270,xxx miles. And it's local to me which is rare. I have an unlocked '96 with 140,000 miles on it, very clean bought it in NM so zero rust.

Wondering what I should look for (owner did say we could open up the third), if this is worthwhile (price is decent, and my local shop should be up to the task if I'm not), and anything else the great collective wisdom of 'Mud can tell me that my inexperience cannot.

He also said he'd sell just the third, but I didn't think I could drop a locked third into an unlocked rear axle assembly. I can't right?

Really excited to be a step closer to my dream, locked, clean rig but don't want to sacrifice great, working parts for a junk locked axle.

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Thanks

J

It drops in, though a bit of grinding on that side makes it infinitely easier. I got the part numbers for the longer replacement studs from beno in a recent post. You need to swap the short side shaft too.

It's potentially easier than swapping the whole axle assembly out if you don't have a bunch of jackstands handy/safely.

It drops in, though a bit of grinding on that side makes it infinitely easier. I got the part numbers for the longer replacement studs from beno in a recent post. You need to swap the short side shaft too.

It's potentially easier than swapping the whole axle assembly out if you don't have a bunch of jackstands handy/safely.

thank you BW. my gut was hoping I could drop in the third, I suspected it wasn't plug and play. I'll dig around some more, but thanks for chiming in!

If your going to wheel it go for it. If not I would just pass. A unlocked 80 is still very capable off road. I see your recent 315 upgrade.... you must be getting closer to joining Yankee toys and wheeling that beauty. If your looking to have it installed give me a shout. IMO I would steer for a arb install in an unlocked axle if $ isn't an issue. Mr t. elocker is great but arb is superior.

Thanks Scott. Yeah after some further reading, including http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_retrofit_lockers.htm, I'm scratching my head some more. I live in the city so whenever I need to fix something it's more involved - and I do not have Grant Woodbridge's shop : ]

Will def hit you up if I need it installed. And yes, I hear Yankee Toys calling! Happy new year and hope all is well in NW CT.

J

update: seller has offered to drop in the third, do the swap for $100. either the third + notch grinding, change bolts or the axle swap if his shop is legit that would make it cheaper, but still leaves the wiring harness(es).

X2 for the Aussie. ~$350, ~3 hours and 2 people. Assuming you don't get the wrong part in the box the first time and you don't tear the diff gasket the second time :doh:

1. Pull rear axle shafts out about 4"
2. Mark and remove rear of rear driveshaft
3. Remove diff from axle housing
4. Remove old spider gears
5. Drop in new locker plates
6. Check gap
7. Put back together
8. #6 technically should be a :beer:

Last edited:
Another vote for the Aussie. I put an Aussie in the rear end of my 80 at about 230K miles. I was wary of road manners and behavior on slick roads, but it has been almost totally transparent. Only remember it's there when it ratchets on corners. Locks up great on the trails and has performed. Cheap and reliable.

a 100 bucks he will install the factory elocker in for you ... id do it!! great deal.. thats a crazy good deal. then you can keep your lower miles axel although rebuilding the axel is super simple and inexpensive if your willing to do it. i just did mine last week shocking simple, before that the most mechanicly challenged thing i ever did was change the engine oil.

Thank you All. Going to think it over tonight. I don't think I wheel enough for an Aussie. I might not wheel enough for lockers (yet). Am thinking I might just get a winch for now - to quote Slee "lockers will more likely get you stuck, a winch gets you unstuck"

don't forget that you will need a different short side shaft to work with the elocker; make sure the guy doing the install is going to provide this shaft with the third or at least knows that he needs to swap the shaft for it to all work right...

Thank you Lambcrusher. He's aware of that. I'll probably hold off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom