To line or not to line... let me know what you think... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having second thoughts on lining the fender flares. I was full go until someone mentioned it just would not look good on mine as it does on a white or black vehicle.

I've attached two photos: One photoshopped black, the other original.

BTW the fender flares are no where in as good condition as you see in the photo. That's why I need to do something about it :D

Let me know what you think, and NO I'm not junking the flares.
original.jpg
black_flares.jpg

remember that it's not always what everyone else thinks that is the deciding factor. I think you should go ahead and line'em. It'll look fine with the fact that you have the steps, and front ARB. Also, when you line them, they wont have the same reflection that gloss black paint would have.

i think it'll look fine. :cheers: good luck

I personally think that black rhino lining would look sick on a red rig.... and maybe even down the road you get some black wheels to set it off....
It would make your rig look much more aggressive.

If your flares were in great condition, I would be hesitant as the black and red doesn't always come out great.

However, you said that the flares are already beat up so . . . do it! Even if it doesn't look fantastic you didn't lose anything. Be sure to post some pics of the results.:popcorn:

this is just my opinion, but i think the lines and look of the 80 with the flares on is the best. I also like them matching the paint. The only reason i lost mine, was because two had been ripped off by wheeling. The only reasons i lined my side was because i wheel in really tight brush and my paint was getting scratched through the clear coat and looking horrible. Now i can wheel it through tight spots and not even worry. with that said, if looks are what you are after, leave it stock. leave the flares on and leave them painted.

I wouldn't line the flares - that's a tactic for removing the flares and then keeping the visual from the side. It looks better with matched flares. That would be true of any color.

I just read that your flares are beat up...so go for it if you must keep the flares (I like an 80's lines much better without them, you get an aggressive stance without needing to add wheel spacers and you narrow the rig substantially).

remove the flares, line the shape, have a beer! :)

Here is Inverness 80 w/o flares (and photo taker Roberto mugging)

I think it looks good stock- or w/o flares.

Lineing the flares reminds me of the 2003 4Runner. It came w/ unpainted dk. grey flares which were universally hated (altho I thought they were really cool).
They quickly (within months) changed all of them to painted flares.
471642108403_0_BG.jpg

this is close but not exactly what your lookin for, lined w/out flares but it might give you an idea of the contrast. hope it helps. i trashed my flares on the last trip to the mountains ( well the paint at least, there still attached ) so i plan on lining them as well, b/c i do like the 80 w/ flares.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=2088872&postcount=20

here are some lined flares i chopped from another thread.
Line them. It will look good.

Last edited:
I've always liked two-tone red and black rigs. Paint those wheels black to match and I think it'll look sweet, flares or not.

Tony

I think the darker red is freakin sweet. The only problem would be getting a red that close, I think it could be done, but you'd probably have to be careful.

The darkred-on-red would be something I haven't seen, and IMO, very cool.

:cheers:

Still not sure which way to go. The flares are thoroughly scratched up. So, lining them seems the best way to go to prevent further brush/branch damage.
Though, a friend of mine might be able to get a deal on re-painting them. Choices... choices...

I would not line the flares as they will start to stand out of the rest of the vehicle lines. If they are already scratched I would simply buy a can of car paint of the same color and use a brush. I used to paint my Nissan Pathfinder by hand and it was all good. But actually I wouldn't bother with lining. You don't like it now because it's scratched, but if you line it and scratch it next time you go wheeling, it will be scratched once more. Maybe leave it as it is. Scratched 4X4's look cool.

Why are you limiting yourself to Black? Durabak comes in tan and sand, which might look better... I don't have photoshop, so here's a cheesy paint mock up.
tan-flares.jpg
silver flare.jpg

Why are you limiting yourself to Black? Durabak comes in tan and sand, which might look better... I don't have photoshop, so here's a cheesy paint mock up.

Tan or sand on Red? No way man. :)

well, you could spend the coin to have Rhino Line color match it.

If anything at all it would be a repaint of original color, or black bed-liner of some brand.

Personally I like the stock color the dark red isn't bad either but you are the one that has to like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom