To lift or not to lift an original 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
I've had this clean, 100% original '76 for nearly 10 years now, and have always intended to leave it stock. However, I think that the stock springs have settled enough over 42 years that it sits *lower* than stock. When I recently installed a 4" lift on my 1977, it sat over 6" higher than this one.

Putting my love for a lifted rig aside and being objective about this, would a pretty little 2.5" lift and slightly bigger tires make this 40 more at home, or would it kill the original flavor?
20170504-1339_11.JPG

^x2

My 40 is about as far from stock as you can get and started as a tub, frame and parts.
While I like tinkering as much as the next guy, if I had one like you have I would be thrilled to just leave it alone and drive it around town.

Do shops still re-arch springs? I looked at an '83 FJ-40 (in 2000) that the owner said had the OEM springs re-arched and it was running 33"s.

The tried and true (visual) formula for a 40 is a 2-3" lift and 33x10.50s...but Grogan will tell you that they drive more better at stock height with little tires.

yeap 2.5" skyjackers, new bushings and fresh shocks, it will ride like new.

and someone already replaced the shackles on yours with longer aftermarkets jobs anyway...so already not 100%

Lift it. Keep the old springs. Easy bolt on-bolt off upgrade. Not like you would be cutting it up.

I had the same dilemma with my 1969. Went with old man EMU for about the 2,5 inch lift. It is now about stock height as the original springs were flat from years of weight on them. It will not lose character at all.

If I was in your predicament... I would go with a lift and tires similar to what @buckroseau does with his builds. They still maintain the "stock" look.

Nice rig. I'd go with the 2.5 OME with some 33 10.50's and it will be beautifuller than it is now but not much because t is already a beauty

Personally, I don't think a modest lift and 33" tires detract from an otherwise stock rig, but if you really want to keep it stock height, Alcan Spring in CO will make you a new set of stock-height springs. Or any lift you want, in 1" increments.

Alcan Spring - Manufactures Fine Custom Leaf Springs

Thanks for the input. This diversity in opinion is about what I was expecting.

My rigs with lifts (both OME and HFS) have always ridden better than stock. I think that some 33 x 10.50s and a very modest lift would do wonders for this 40. The current suspension feels old and tired to me, and some ass underneath this truck would breathe new life into it.

@brian, I think you are right about my rear shackles. They look longer than stock, so I may just have to "upgrade" this non-stock suspension ;)

Hmmm...

@brian, I think you are right about my rear shackles. They look longer than stock, so I may just have to "upgrade" this non-stock suspension ;)

Hmmm...

there is no doubt about it. oe shackles are pretty short and do not have a cross bar in them.

i vote 2.5" and 31's i have that set up on my 42 now but im going 33's in the summer once turbo is down.

I am astounded at folks that think a mild spring lift ruins a "stock" rig..

It's not like it's not reversible!

Nice! You have the best of both worlds. A stock cruiser and a lifted cruiser.
I built my 78 FJ40LV-KCJA from donor trucks in 2003, I added 2.5" lifted springs. I don't use it for intense off road use but did use it prospecting on woods and mountain roads. It was like riding a buckboard. I just rebuilt it this year:
and started in May, worked 20-30 hrs a week until December from the wheel bearings up. I replaced my springs with OEM but added Bilstein shocks and I'm loving the way it handles and road-ability. And I still have enough room to crawl underneath and work on it!
My 2 cents, leave it stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom