To header or not an 87 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do.. and would do again with out hesitation....

long as you have no emissions issues, go for it.

smog legal headers are available also.....

What do you guys think? To put headers or not?
Wondering how many out there have them on their rigs. Specially in California.

What are you looking to gain with a header on a 2F?

Well I don't want to deal with the cost of manifold replacement. So what is the best header out there?

Zack

I couldn't stand the thought of reinstalling the stock exhaust manifold on my '83 (had the typical intake manifold leaks), so I went with the MAF ceramic-coated 6-2-1 header & carb heater setup. Wrapped all the exhaust with insulating fiberglass tape to keep the engine compartment as cool as possible. Maybe psychosomatic, but I though it made the mid-range power smoother.

Worked well. Only problem I had (besides getting to the rear manifold bolts) was with the oil cooler, which was typical.

I was going to put a header on my 60, after doing an extensive search about smog laws, I found that there is in fact , no smog legal header that can be used in california as per the CARB, I'm in Nevada, and the California laws have been adopted here, I was in Cali. and know that there is no place worse when your trying to pass smog.

Also, if you are interested anyway, before I got discuraged, I bought a 6 into 1 header from JT Outfitters, A good gasket from MAF along with the EGR block off plate, even coated the header with ceramic 1200 deg. paint- everything one would need not to pass the visual smog check, it's all in my garage and looking for a new home- if anyone is interested I'll let it go at cost , $170.00 + shipping, have receeipts and everything, I really wanted to put this thing on but just got intimidated by the smog stuff. If your interested let me know.

If it's not allowed on this site to do any sort of "bussiness" please let me know if I've gone yo far.

I was going to put a header on my 60, after doing an extensive search about smog laws, I found that there is in fact , no smog legal header that can be used in california as per the CARB, I'm in Nevada, and the California laws have been adopted here, I was in Cali. and know that there is no place worse when your trying to pass smog.

Also, if you are interested anyway, before I got discuraged, I bought a 6 into 1 header from JT Outfitters, A good gasket from MAF along with the EGR block off plate, even coated the header with ceramic 1200 deg. paint- everything one would need not to pass the visual smog check, it's all in my garage and looking for a new home- if anyone is interested I'll let it go at cost , $170.00 + shipping, have receeipts and everything, I really wanted to put this thing on but just got intimidated by the smog stuff. If your interested let me know.

If it's not allowed on this site to do any sort of "bussiness" please let me know if I've gone yo far.

( make that too far).

I'm in the same boat...I have the header sitting here I just don't know if I should install it or not. I'm moving to CO in a couple of months so I need as much power as possible due to the mountains but I also need a legal vehicle.

Do they sniff test in Co? I'm in Idaho, and we don't have a real smog problem (benefits of being high in the mountains) So we have all the same federal laws, but nobody to check it. So technically, if nobody's looking, it's not illegal.

Someone told me they do have emissions testing in Golden. But I'm going to follow up just in case.

Would it increase power? How about mileage?
One or both I'd consider having them on.

I'm not a motor expert, rebuilt a VW aircooled motor once, but only out of despiration. From what I've read on this forum, headers make sense in the following scenario:
  • Your local laws allow it.
  • Your stock exhaust manifold is warped.
  • You also shave the head/block, swap in a better cam and tweak the carb.
The header alone might help a bit, but done as part of a strategy to maximise output of the engine, will produce noticable and beneficial results.

There was a thread on here a few months ago about rebuilding the 2F vs a SB swap...a looooooooong thread, all the noted mudxperts chimed in, so that's where I'd go for more...

Having been the owner of 5-60's now, two w/headers, one bone stock. Given smog laws and their ever tightening rules, I would not put a header on. I honestly did not see/feel any improvement on mileage or power. That's on an 87 and on an 84. Both include full desmog Weber38 and then back to a JimC stock carb. I'd choose to make the smog police happy and spend the money on a carb rebuild and an H55.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom