To Double Carden or NOT ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
Well, I never that it would come to this, but my cruiser has some slight vibes on the highway between 60-70mph coming from the front driveshaft. I was always the lucky one that got away with putting on Heavies with no vibes, then J's and now currently Slee 4" springs (all with minimal caster correction, ome/slee bushings).. I guess my cruiser was one of the best off of the assembly line with a tad more positive caster than its brothers and sisters. :D
My perfect, and harmonious world with no vibes on Slee 4" springs came crashing down with my smart idea to fix something that wasen't broken- install new u joints and dissassemble and assemble the front driveshaft with new grease (grease up the splines the correct way). I guess I assembled the driveshaft wrong or something, I mean it must have been by a spline or two, because I usually am very observant about my work, and don't make mistakes, but I have this grr/vibe at the posted speed after I took the driveshaft apart.. As mentioned before it was working perfectly before I messed with it..
All this brings up the question I have.. Should I take my FR DS to a DS shop and have them look at the shaft and see if they can put it in perfect order/balance etc..? Or should I invest my money in a Slee double carden shaft knowing that I have minimal caster correction (with 4"springs) and my pinion angle might not be suffecient enough for the double carden?

If it were me, I'd take a second look at the DS and make sure I put it/them back together right. Check the service manual - I think 80 series driveshafts go together out-of-phase (correct term???). A driveshaft shop could double check and balance them as well. Since this problem happened right after your work, I'm pretty sure you could isolate and solve the problem without a new Slee driveshaft and save some $$.

Brian

Brian, thanks for the suggestions.. I have my FSM and I have seen the pics in it, but I can't figure out what in the hell in phase/out phase, whatever phase crap means, or looking at.. This coming from someone who has done a couple successfull headgasket R&R's and countless front and rear diff R&R's etc..(not claiming to be an expert, but am mechnically inlined) Sometimes the simplest things stump me, my downfall... Can someone please elaborate?

Phase is just the orientation of the Ujoints/yokes. If the they are parallel to eachother, they are in phase. If they are at 90* to each other they are out of phase. Unless you pulled the DS apart at the slip joint, it's fine.
I'm running OME 5" comp coils with a stock front shaft. A little vibe, but works fine for me.

Phase is just the orientation of the Ujoints/yokes. If the they are parallel to eachother, they are in phase. If they are at 90* to each other they are out of phase. Unless you pulled the DS apart at the slip joint, it's fine.
I'm running OME 5" comp coils with a stock front shaft. A little vibe, but works fine for me.

What are you running for caster correction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom