To change or not to change-Gear Oil (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I just got my 3rds back on with new nitro 4.88 set up by ZUK, and have been breakin them in, got about 250 miles on them.

Im talking the car to a short road trip/camping trip this weekend, with some light trail driving. Should i change the oil now, or after i come back from the trip ?

Every breakin procedure mentions to change gear oil at 500 miles, im halfway there. I dont want to screw up anything by leaving it in there and doing a 60 mile trip.

Synthetic gear oil is costly.

Forgot to mention that the front gear oil was black when i drained it before pulling the diff, and rebuilt the axle.

Change now or after ?

Change now with inexpensive conventional gear oil. Complete your break in and then change to synthetic if you want.

Change now with inexpensive conventional gear oil. Complete your break in and then change to synthetic if you want.

X2. Am about to type that up.

Zuk mentioned that the rear should get a quality gear oil because in the begining, the rear R&P do get pretty hot. Conventional should be ok ?

Zuk mentioned that the rear should get a quality gear oil because in the begining, the rear R&P do get pretty hot. Conventional should be ok ?

Quality gear oil does not always mean synthetic oil. You can use Castrol conventional gear oil and you should be ok.

Conventional is fine. New Toyotas ship from the factory with conventional gear oil and they don't even recommend and immediate change.

Just pick a name brand you recognize and it will work.

I made up my own change schedule with new gears. I changed at 100, 500 and 1000 miles. Probably overkill but it made me feel better. Realistically, the first 100 miles is the most important. Maybe just change then and forget it!

I'm partial to using cheaper oil and changing it more often, esp. in front diff.

I changed both diffs last night so that I can sleep and drive comfortably. I was too lazy to go buy conventional gear oil. The Amsoil case was sitting in my garage, i couldnt get myself to make a trip. Plus I needed to get everything ready for the weekend, so I didnt have time.

On another note, the front gear oil came out very dark, not black but a like a charcoal color. I guess its all the leftover soup from the axles before i rebuilt the axle.

There is strong consensus that the charcoal soup is caused by suction created by the diff breather valve, assuming your inner seals are OK. I had the same charcoal soup but birfs have been done, so I'm replacing the breather with a basic 1/4 inch line and cheap fuel filter style cap; run up into the engine bay. Hopefully that will stop the tendency to pull grease into the diff.

My axle housings had alot of black soup when i was going my axle rebuild,' hopefully its only the leftover. I installed the new marlin heavy duty seals, so hopefully that seals a bit better.

When I took off the diff fill plus, there was a vacuum in there, so a good breather setup is next in line for me as well.

Installation guide & break-in

Installation Guides - Nitro Gear & Axle

My axle housings had alot of black soup when i was going my axle rebuild,' hopefully its only the leftover. I installed the new marlin heavy duty seals, so hopefully that seals a bit better.

When I took off the diff fill plus, there was a vacuum in there, so a good breather setup is next in line for me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom