To buy or not to buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend of mine has a 97' 40th anniversary, 3x locked, green with 200k miles, no mods. Besides the green color, its the most desirable 80 series made. I told him a long time ago that I would buy it if he wanted to sell it. A few months ago I picked it up to check it out for a few days and made a massive list of items to fix or upgrade. Strangely, its pretty decent mechanically, although it would still need a lot of baseline items and Im sure other issues will pop up. But cosmetics are bad, dings and paint issues on every body panel, and the interior is a mess too (seats, door panels, everything..) I have owned many LC's and I have been wanting to get an 80 series again since I sold my last one a decade ago. But the reality is, this truck will need a full mechanical rundown, full new interior, body/paint, new stereo, suspension, 35's, armor, ext. I figure it will cost me 20K and a ton of time to get it this rig the way I want it. Buddy is asking 8k for it. Funny thing is my wife says I should buy it. She said, "you talk about 80 land cruisers so much that it seems like you should just own one."

Part of me thinks that I should never pass up on a locked 97 80 series for 8k, but the other side of me thinks if Im going to sink ~25-30K into an 80, it would probably be easier just to buy one already fixed up. Also, I really do not need another vehicle, I have a very nice, heavily modified 16' LX that is so damn nice that I don't imagine I will drive the 80 much. I also fixed up a 100 that my brother is driving. Its simply my love for the 80 series that has me even thinking about it.

So what is the Mud's opinion? Buy this money pit, or pass on it and buy one that's much nicer at a later date?

Thanks

A friend of mine has a 97' 40th anniversary, 3x locked, green with 200k miles, no mods. Besides the green color, its the most desirable 80 series made. I told him a long time ago that I would buy it if he wanted to sell it. A few months ago I picked it up to check it out for a few days and made a massive list of items to fix or upgrade. Strangely, its pretty decent mechanically, although it would still need a lot of baseline items and Im sure other issues will pop up. But cosmetics are bad, dings and paint issues on every body panel, and the interior is a mess too (seats, door panels, everything..) I have owned many LC's and I have been wanting to get an 80 series again since I sold my last one a decade ago. But the reality is, this truck will need a full mechanical rundown, full new interior, body/paint, new stereo, suspension, 35's, armor, ext. I figure it will cost me 20K and a ton of time to get it this rig the way I want it. Buddy is asking 8k for it. Funny thing is my wife says I should buy it. She said, "you talk about 80 land cruisers so much that it seems like you should just own one."

Part of me thinks that I should never pass up on a locked 97 80 series for 8k, but the other side of me thinks if Im going to sink ~25-30K into an 80, it would probably be easier just to buy one already fixed up. Also, I really do not need another vehicle, I have a very nice, heavily modified 16' LX that is so damn nice that I don't imagine I will drive the 80 much. I also fixed up a 100 that my brother is driving. Its simply my love for the 80 series that has me even thinking about it.

So what is the Mud's opinion? Buy this money pit, or pass on it and buy one that's much nicer at a later date?

Thanks
You shouldn't buy it.
What's the name and number of the current owner - so I can call and...
Talk about the weather

That's exactly what I expected the first comment to say :)

I also realize how ridiculous it is to ask people on Mud if its a smart idea to buy another land cruiser...

I look forward to more comments!

I'd say if you have the coin to back it up then go for it. Often even Land Cruisers that are "fixed up" and marketed as such still have a lot of kinks to work out and/or half-assed work done to them, etc.

My .02 would be to just go with this one you're looking at. Sounds like it has a good story and you can make sure everything is done right from the start. Maybe see if you can talk him down a bit.

For context, here is the result of an auction of basically the same truck you described, but with some mild mods and in excellent condition. Your 20k or so may very well be money well spent, from both a resale and enjoyment point of view .

1644613846305.png

Last edited:
I say Buy it before I find it. :rofl: Kidding aside regardless of what you want to spend or do with this rig is not the issue it's more on what does it mean to you to have an 80 again if you think your friend is asking too much then talk and bargain with him and point it out. I drive a 93 Toy extracab truck daily and guys at work always nags on me to get a new Tacoma and sell my truck I tell them that the Tacoma just won't have the same feel and enjoyment I get from my truck I get offers from random people to buy my truck and I say no and tell them it's a keeper.

If no major rust, then $8k all day whether you want/need it or not. My 80 has basically just been a garage ornament for the last 5 months, but I'm still glad to have it there even if I'm not using it much lately.

Mechanical problems are generally much less expensive to fix compared to interior (carpet, leather) or exterior (paint/body) issues. So value depends on how much those things bother you, or your wife.

A full proper paint job with some body work will start at minimum $10k, $15k+ with a lot of body work, then add for new rubber (door seals, window runs, moldings).

Why does it need new paint? Is it to make it perfect, to change colors, or are there big problems with it's current condition that make it unacceptable? I think you are likely to spend $10k+ baselining any 80 that isn't already fully updated but the real variable here seems to be the paintjob as it could easily be more than half of the total budget that it would take to dial this in to what you want.

Reading between the lines it seems like this may not be the 80 for you because it's green. I'd examine the market and see if what you really want is likely to show up at the cost that it would take to turn this green 80 into what you want. If you think you can find it I'd shop til you find it and be ready to jump when you do. Of course if what you want is a non-factory color then you are looking at a respray regardless so in that case it's just a question of your wanting to manage the project, spend the money and get it where you want it.

Tell us more about the end goal here and about the big ticket items in particular. The money is just one of the costs as well, how eager are you to take on a long-term project should that be what this turns into?

Also, this is nitpicking but some would debate the locked 40th being the most desirable US 80. It's up there but I'd personally put the locked CE a little higher up the pecking order... :)

Why does it need new paint? Is it to make it perfect, to change colors, or are there big problems with it's current condition that make it unacceptable? I think you are likely to spend $10k+ baselining any 80 that isn't already fully updated but the real variable here seems to be the paintjob as it could easily be more than half of the total budget that it would take to dial this in to what you want.

Reading between the lines it seems like this may not be the 80 for you because it's green. I'd examine the market and see if what you really want is likely to show up at the cost that it would take to turn this green 80 into what you want. If you think you can find it I'd shop til you find it and be ready to jump when you do. Of course if what you want is a non-factory color then you are looking at a respray regardless so in that case it's just a question of your wanting to manage the project, spend the money and get it where you want it.

Tell us more about the end goal here and about the big ticket items in particular. The money is just one of the costs as well, how eager are you to take on a long-term project should that be what this turns into?

Also, this is nitpicking but some would debate the locked 40th being the most desirable US 80. It's up there but I'd personally put the locked CE a little higher up the pecking order... :)
Locked CE?

jpoole asked :"Why does it need new paint?"

I was responding to the OP's statement:

"But cosmetics are bad, dings and paint issues on every body panel, and the interior is a mess too (seats, door panels, everything..)"

If cosmetics weren't important to him he probably wouldn't have mentioned it, or the color so I agree, this is probably not the 80 for the OP, unless he plans
to put a ton of money into it for body and paint, interior, etc,etc, on top
of mechanical work.

So if he wants an 80 to run dirt/rocky trails, that's one thing, but if he (or his wife) wants one to drive to the Mall or look good in the driveway, not so much, unless he plans to put big bucks into it.

For the OP: another way to look at it, consider this 80 as a trial run,
see if you like driving it, then decide to fix it all the way, or drive it as is,
or keep it as a parts truck once you find the one you really want,
or sell it to someone else in six months.

Send it, yolo!!!

"the answer is always yes" - as a colleague said to my husband who was considering buying another guitar . . .

as far as I am concerned, when the opportunity presents itself, yes, I would buy another cruiser, too

Thanks
Who gets to buy 3x 80’s with the 40th stickers for 8k in 2022? I’m in the send it camp. Let’s spend your money!!

Green? Undesirable? 40th? 3x locked? $8K? None of this computes.

Is it antique sage or is it emerald green? If it’s either, both are beautiful and everyone who hates the emerald green can make like a tree and GTFOH. :)

Need pics. I missed out on a 40th a few years back because I thought having a 3rd 80 was crazy. It had already sold by the time I decided I wanted to buy it.:cry:

If you're not changing color, which i can't imagine you wanting, you could possibly spray some sections now and decide later if its worth the premium to paint the entire vehicle. As stated above, your paint will be the potential budget buster.

Buy it.

Sage green could be 40th, emerald green might be collectors but cant be 40th.

This related to value means nothing in condition you described. 40th ann or C.E or just a plain FZJ, no rust is worth the 8k asking price.

This however does not mean its worth making into a 40k truck. Might be a great candidate to mechanically fix and use to the max of its abilities .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom