To buy or not to buy for parts...Solicited Advice please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
I now have a 71FJ40 that is mostly stock. Am looking at doing disc brake conversion, and hoping for power steering as well. Looked at JToutfitters for the front/rear conversion kit around 1K USD, Havn't gotten too far into the power steering yet. I also have been having trouble with the three on the tree first gear curse, and believe the trans needs some attention. Though its cool, I'm not super keen on the column shift. I found a REALLY rough FJ40 for sale 1976 - front disc brakes, with a booster and the master cylinder. Most of the parts seem to have been taken already, large portion of the floor, part of the rear doors, an engine mount missing, some hack cut a hole in the roof to make a sun roof (that they didn't finish), the trans is in the truck (though I'm not sure it's any good), the engine is in the truck, it's not seized, but also not verified that it's good.
I'm wondering if I should buy this to take the front axle off, hopefully use the trans, and maybe even the 2F engine, as my 1F engine is burning pretty blue with 15W40 oil and will also need attention.

1664419263910.png
1664419283025.png
1664419306536.png
1664419325880.png
1664419350579.png

Fellow is open to offers, he's asking 1950 - which on one hand isn't bad, but after pilfering the parts I need, I'll have to dispose of it, and pay the disposal fee. I like the floor shift, could use the doors, the brake booster and master cylinder, the front axles, rear drive shaft is gone, so I'd have to get mine cut, or buy a new drive shaft, the glass is good (mostly), the hood is good. AM just looking for some perspective, if it's worth it or not. Thank you guys in advance.

Last edited:
Does it have a title? I’m not sure where you are located but I think you’d be able to come out even or money ahead selling whatever you don’t use. Willing to remove and ship parts widens your buyer pool. I’d be there with my trailer offering him $1500.

If it had a title and a half decent frame, I’d be getting it running and selling it as a runner.

I mean, I suppose these are fetching some crazy prices running. This could be a runner, but has been used as a donor pretty extensively. The last thing my wife will want me to do is have ANOTHER vehicle in the driveway, half finished project, the original 40 is enough. Hmm. I'm torn.
If it had a title and a half decent frame, I’d be getting it running and selling it as a runner.

I mean, I suppose these are fetching some crazy prices running. This could be a runner, but has been used as a donor pretty extensively. The last thing my wife will want me to do is have ANOTHER vehicle in the driveway, half finished project, the original 40 is enough. Hmm. I'm torn.

I get that. I’m fortunate to have a wife that understands my 40 is a part of the package. Not that I’m up to building a second.

I would think a used 4 speed transmission and stock disc brake parts would not cost much. You could hone your 1f and put rings in it.

1F pistons have been NLA for a long time. Unless someone has a new source, a 2F can be a very good option. You might get away with a ball hone and new rings if it’s not too worn, but I’d not count on it.

While the JTO disc brake conversion kit is easy, I’d do a front axle swap to the later Toyota axle. Disc brake axles had fine-spline birfields, which are actually stronger than the coarse spline birfields on the earlier truck. A 76 will still have “small pattern” fine-splines - not quite as strong as the later “large pattern” ones in the later 40’s, mini trucks, and FJ60’s, but still an improvement over the coarse splines. Axle strength may not be a big deal if you don’t intend to go 4wheeling. The other plus to the Toyota setup is that you retain all Toyota components, and aren’t reliant on custom Wilwood brake pads, etc. It might also help resale value.

The 2F would probably be an easier rebuild from a parts availability standpoint.

I’d personally keep column shift if I was only street-driving it, if only from a retro/potential resale standpoint. Though at that point it’s all very open to preference and opinions!

@iamturner, I'd be interested in one or two of the jump seats if you do pick it up.

If you willing to strip it apart yourself you could probably get the parts you want off. Then party the rest of the truck out and get all your money back. Lots of work but would be free parts to you.

Looks like a no brainer. I might also be looking for some ‘76 parts. Would be real easy to part out what you don’t need. ‘76 was a desire-able year a s first year with front disc brakes

Lol…ok..ok, I’ll call the guy tomorrow.
I do like a few of the things. And I’ll keep note for the few of you who have expressed interest in parts. Though being from Canada I’m not sure how cost effective it would be for shipping.

I’ll let you guys know how the tear down goes.

I do like a few of the things. And I’ll keep note for the few of you who have expressed interest in parts. Though being from Canada I’m not sure how cost effective it would be for shipping.

Where in Cunuckistan are you?

Where in Cunuckistan are

I’ve been watching that one as well. I’m in Canada and would be interested in a few of the parts if you decide to part out.

It's home...And so is my original 40, yay... But, I am already discouraged, or lost in the potential and possibilities…Garage is a total mess so I have been side tracked building shelving. Trying to get it all done so I can get back on the 40.

So many decisions, and I am bad at making decisions.

Anyway, wanted to show you all that the donor made it home. I’ll have to get some pics of the original 40, and get em up here.
24C47DB5-2871-449C-BEC4-99DEF0C78208.jpeg
3EAA97C1-A92A-4EC8-BDB9-59BB3BD40D55.jpeg
BD77FA84-4FEF-4A53-9DEB-D55B990D5A84.jpeg
23F83D6C-C9AF-4605-BF32-74C762FC3D98.jpeg
36F2C039-6188-483B-8E48-63EC86A0E261.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom