To buy or not to buy ‘92 FJ80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

long time listener, first time caller here!

My friend has offered up his 1992 FJ80 to me. It runs and drives okay but will likely need a rebuild engine & transmission soon due to high mileage normal wear and tear. Solid body & frame however faded paint and normal daily driver dents. whats a fair price for this vehicle assuming there are no surprises? No accidents clean title.

What should I look out for with this era model vehicle?

i’d love to take on a new project but I am not as familiar with these platforms so I want any and all concerns from experienced people voiced here before I make a decision.

I have rebuilt and swapped motors and trannys In my garage on many other vehicles but never worked on an FJ80!
just Aja average joe looking for something to wrench on and have fun off roading a little bit.

Thanks!

adding to the FJ80 information:

1992 FJ80
192K miles runs and drives well
power steering pump is going out
has an ARB lift kit installed
clean tilte
passes smog

192K miles runs and drives well
passes smog

It will need a lot of maintenance and will eat plenty of $ in parts but it likely is nowhere near needing an engine/trans rebuild unless it's been abused or suffered unusual issues. Read up on mileage that folks are getting out of these to get an idea of how far it may go with a little upkeep.

Paint and bodywork is often pretty expensive. The parts landscape is changing as Toyota is discontinuing some items for all 80s, and more for the early FJs I expect.

If you want an 80, it doesn't have rust and you like it I say try to strike up a deal. Earlier models typically sell for lower prices so look for comps in your area for '91/'92 models primarily. Some folks prefer the early 80s and they do have a more retro feel in my opinion and are undoubtedly awesome. Don't let the FZJ80 snobs tell you otherwise :)

And welcome to mud! :flipoff2:

I don't own one with the 3FE engine but from what I have read and heard from folks they have the half life of somewhere between uranium 234 and a Peter Wright Anvil. Less than 200.000 miles is subjectively not "high mileage" in many on here's opinion. I purchased my 97 1FZ-FE powered landcruiser at 179.000 miles because I thought that was low mileage. As long as PM's have been performed reguarly there should be much more life in the drive train. If the price is right then jump on it. Keep expectations in check for a 25plus year old vehicle and you will be fine. I have heard that they are a little underpowered so if your planning on joining the no prep street racing scene maybe not the right vehicle for you but otherwise with some basic mechanical knowlege bringing the 80 back up to tip top shape.

Yes, I've heard that the FJ80's are slightly underpowered as well. This seems to be a good project for me, as I am not looking to go crazy here, with horsepower. I am looking to make a nice commuter/fun car to drive off road on rare occasions. The price seems to be right with my friend offering this to me for dirt cheap. I will likely have many more technical questions for this vehicle to come...

Are there any FJ80 specific websites I can go to, in order to get an idea of cost/pricing for mechanical parts ect."

Yes, I've heard that the FJ80's are slightly underpowered as well. This seems to be a good project for me, as I am not looking to go crazy here, with horsepower. I am looking to make a nice commuter/fun car to drive off road on rare occasions. The price seems to be right with my friend offering this to me for dirt cheap. I will likely have many more technical questions for this vehicle to come...

Are there any FJ80 specific websites I can go to, in order to get an idea of cost/pricing for mechanical parts ect."
Witsend and Partsouq are my go-to sites for parts, but there are plenty of others. Search for 3FE on the former, and put in your VIN on the latter.

I think your biggest concern will be keeping it smog certified in Cali and finding parts. If you can get it for less than $3,000.00 than go for it.

That's a good point on Cali smog @leonard_nemoy and I wonder what the future looks like for 30+ year old cars in Cali on that front. In some areas the restrictions lessen or are dropped as cars age but I'm assuming Cali if anything may do the opposite of that?

@kangjinsoo grab a drink and a snack and then drop the following into Google:

3fe fj80 site:ih8mud.com​

$43,000.

@kangjinsoo why do you think it need a rebuild soon? Is the engine knocking and/or transmission slipping
That's a good point on Cali smog @leonard_nemoy and I wonder what the future looks like for 30+ year old cars in Cali on that front. In some areas the restrictions lessen or are dropped as cars age but I'm assuming Cali if anything may do the opposite of that?

@kangjinsoo grab a drink and a snack and then drop the following into Google:

3fe fj80 site:ih8mud.com​
Yeah, I am slightly worried about passing smog as well. My buddy said the car passes smog like a champ though.

i don’t remember why he said it needs a rebuild. I think he said it is making a weird noise coming from the engine bay. I gotta go check it out first. I’ll assess that this weekend and get back to you guys. I runs and drives fine he says so maybe it just needs a good tune up….? I hope.

i don’t remember why he said it needs a rebuild. I think he said it is making a weird noise coming from the engine bay.
LOL. A good running 3FE sounds like ball bearings in a blender.

Thats reassuring to hear about all the noises being semi normal for these engines. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. maybe a video for the noise so you guys can tell me what it is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom