To 80 again, or not to... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone!

It has been about five years since I was last in the 80 lifestyle with my beat up and busted '97 and it has recently come to my attention that a family member of mine is selling his 40th on it and would like me to buy it if I can. First let me start with asking price and details: Sage '97 40th w/237k miles on it (mine had 160k). Not off roaded travel/family vehicle with lots of maintenance and recent work, OME 2.5 w/ARB front bumper, NO LOCKERS, lived in WA/GA its entire life (no rust), recent interior recover (doesn't seem the best though tbh), and newer tasteful audio upgrade. Only current issue present is inoperable A/C that two shops have said is the control unit? (I personally haven't heard of this issue with an 80)

His family is no stranger to high mileage 80s and he is only looking to get rid of this for something more practical (travels and has seven kids). He will sell it to me for $6k and my initial thought is that's a pretty darn good deal, I wasn't currently looking to buy a vehicle now per se but who knows when I'd have this opportunity again. I know these are starting to appreciate in value but this one being sans lockers does that severely hurt the value. What do you guys think?

Looks very good..... and a decent price. I'd buy it.

sounds like a winner to me. If you don't use the lockers, then don't worry about whether it has them or not. It will only matter to a certain segment of the population, and you can always upgrade later if you feel so inclined. Price is pretty location-specific, but if it's in good shape, I would definitely consider that a fair price.

Looks like a solid buy. THe winch and bumper alone are worth $1500. So you're getting a nice 80 for $4500.

They aren't making any more...

Not to mention the suspension and rubber.

Its always tough to tell someone how good a deal is when they're not in the exact same area you are. That being said, if you have a disposable $6k laying around and could use a vehicle, in my area that would be a good deal and I wouldn't feel like I was being dishonest with or taking advantage of the seller.

Just my $.02

Good deal. Nice truck.

What are you waiting for???

doit.jpg

Get it!

Don't get it! People need to quit taking the 40ths out of GA! I am going to need to buy another 80 for my son in a few years. Leave it alone and find one in yer own neck of the woods. :bang::flipoff2::rofl:

That bumper, the Warn winch, & lift are all ~$1K each retail, and that's a nice looking 80 from the glamorshots, esp since no rust.

For the money if I was buying an 80, this would make a short list for me - esp since you know the way it was maintained, etc. Coming from a family who had more than one Landcruiser, that goes aways with me too.

E-lockers aren't really a super deal maker/breaker on the Sage 40ths - seems when you poll 80 owners the Sage is such a clear 'want' some don't even know the green was a option too.

Besides, not out to knock 40th guys at all, but keeping one of these pretty seems more the fun than wheeling it within an inch of death. It's a pretty color & a 1-off type interior, keeping it clean shows that off. Even the window tint looks complimentary (with all the tint strip talk lately).

It just looks great when clean, and to me it's worth a little colorsand & shoot some good clearcoat to keep it looking top notch.

I'd be pressed to pass, and I've had a Sage 40th. Pay the ask & do it.

Do it, do it!:bounce:

Us here on Mud ain't such good financial advisors but we sure do love 80's and the fact that you conferred with us means you just wanted a little push. Buy it, leave it the way it is, maintain it and garage it if possible. Soon your investment will double and with patience it will get even better. I have watched the price of 80's soar over the past two years.

Last edited:
Us here on Mud ain't such good financial planners but we sure do love 80's and the fact that you conferred with us means you just wanted a little push. Buy it, leave it the way it is, maintain it and garage it if possible. Soon your investment will double and with patience it will get even better. I have watched the price of 80's soar over the past two years.

We sure didn't get into it as financial planners, but you ask one now & say you own a functional, non-musclecar era vehicle that's easily static in price, and good ones are appreciating (as long as gas is <$4 / gal ;)) - I bet they look out at their leased Bimmer & see us bozos got one thing right, unintentionally-yes but what does that matter?

We sure didn't get into it as financial planners, but you ask one now & say you own a functional, non-musclecar era vehicle that's easily static in price, and good ones are appreciating (as long as gas is <$4 / gal ;)) - I bet they look out at their leased Bimmer & see us bozos got one thing right, unintentionally-yes but what does that matter?
Yeah, I feel like there has just been a serious advance in what "classic" cars in general are getting and I thought for long time that it would crash, but if a car gets swept into the category of a collectible vehicle, you should probably start thinking about a sudden increase in value.

Land Cruisers made the cut. The one in this picture would be mine without ever even considering posting pics of it here. That is a very good driver that could be made much more valuable with a thorough cleaning and effort to get everything working right. This truck is a lot closer to being worth twice that. I wouldn't be surprised that if the trend continues, these trucks may be worth what they were new.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom