To 100 or not to 100.....that is the question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lol totally, I am a fan of jeeps as well.

It's not just the vehicle it's the owners. Jeep owners know how to have fun. They build it big , break it, and do it again. Cruiser owners are living in constant paranoia due to a forum that someone posted about another potential problem.

The 100 is a touring rig, basically a station wagon. Reliable for sure and can get you into and out of most situations, but I always wonder why people are pushing to lift and build them up.
For me, as we live in Reno NV it will be a daily/ expedition rig, the jeep is my racing /extreme rig and gets miles per smiles with the 6.4 lol

For me, as we live in Reno NV it will be a daily/ expedition rig, the jeep is my racing /extreme rig and gets miles per smiles with the 6.4 lol

Right on, My 100 is also my daily and weekend warrior rig. It's great to load up with gear, sleep in, and just live out of for road trips. I wouldn't want to be bouncing the front end off the more challenging trails and to build it up to be able to do that seems like a waste to me. That's just me though...based on my style of driving.

The problem with lifting a 100 is the IFS which means that the higher you lift it the more of an angle (and strain) you put on the constant velocity joints. The solution is to put a diff drop kit in it which reduces the angle of the CV's and reduces wear. The last thing you want is to be breaking joints every time you drive it. Some guys here in Oz have gone to a 3" lift but have had to fit the diff drop kit to compensate. I went with a 2" lift on mine but have only raised it 45mm which is about 1 3/4" this has kept my CV's relatively level negating the need for a diff drop. I don't see a lot of point in raising the vehicle too high only to have to have the diff at the standard height. Kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion.
The 105 Series on the other hand doesn't have the IFS so the skies the limit, pardon the pun! The downside diesel wise is that the 105 diesel is the 4.2 litre (253 cubic inch approx) 1HZ which is a 12 valve normally aspirated 6 cylinder. Great reliable engine but really lack get up and go without considerable work.
The die hard fans over here would tell you that the best truck between the 100 and the 105 would have to be the 105 with the power plant diesel from a 100. The 4.2 litre 24 valve electronic fuel injected 6 cylinder 1HDFTE is reputed to be the best Diesel engine Toyota has ever made and after owning both I can honestly say that the 100 would run rings around the 105. The 100 is a better car to drive all round with the IFS and the 75 extra horsepower, making it a very comfortable and capable off road vehicle as well as an excellent tow tug. As for extreme off roading I think you need to look at other choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom