To 100 or not to 100.....that is the question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.maccabeearms.com
Greetings mudders,

Eventhough a member for quite some time, I've been absent for a while as I crossed to the dark jeep side from my beloved yotas but here I am.... taking a little break from the US and residing in beautiful portugal and ..... mmm.... toyotas....Toyota..... diesel toyotas....Toyota..... so... started a thought process of maybe bring a diesel beast back home with us once we are done as my daily /expedition vehicle.... found a beautiful 2001 100 loaded with 270k km that looks like just left the dealership, a Virgin....but...as all my yotas(but my fj) had SA..... ( 94 fzj80 and a SAS 4runner) ... im not sure the 100 will be able to be modified as a good option? I'm thinking 4-6' lift and 37s.... am I facing a wall? Was also considering a Nissan patrol as it is a SA and a good machine but I don't think I've seen one ever in the states....all input is welcomed.... also if anyone has experience bring old diesel cars into the US, feel free to chime in...

4-6" of lift and 37s is pretty much unheard of on a 100 unless you're doing something custom with the suspension. Only seen it a few times in the years I've been here. Most builds seem to be 2-3" lift and 33-35" tires.

If you're wanting 4-6" of lift and 37's then the 100 is the wrong platform for you, IMO. It's basically not possible without very deep pockets and lots of custom fab work. The 100 is much better suited to 0-3" of lift and 33"-35" tires.

If you're wanting 4-6" of lift and 37's then the 100 is the wrong platform for you, IMO. It's basically not possible without very deep pockets and lots of custom fab work. The 100 is much better suited to 0-3" of lift and 33"-35" tires.
I guess 35s will work for most things I'd be putting it through (death valley, Mojave, some mild moab) but please, those who've owned these for a while and modified them, feel free to chime in....

I guess 35s will work for most things I'd be putting it through (death valley, Mojave, some mild moab) but please, those who've owned these for a while and modified them, feel free to chime in....
35s are no problem. Some people don’t even regear. Ideally you wanna go 4.88s on 35’s

For 35's the general consensus is a 2.5-3" lift (which is about max due to the torsion bar front end), after market upper control arms, pinch weld flattening and some do a 1" body lift as well.

So nothing really bolt on as a kit that can be purchased?
I think trail taylor is working on a SAS kit, which is your best bet for 37s and a large lift.

If people are having to drop different with 2.5 lifts, I don't even want to imagine a SAS.... plus frame and steering issues I had to overcome when I SAS my 4runner if anything close in design...

If you can hold off until import, do it. Diesel + factory SFA will beat anything we can do stateside.

SAS is possible, but it's a load of work and cash. Love mine and regret nothing, but I'd have a hard time arguing that the same money wouldn't be better spent on Toyota doing the work.

Easier to get a 105 and FTE swap it, thats what heaps of people do here.
O...im learning... dont see any here in Portugal and very little in the EU in general...looks like mist were made 2004'ish so will definitely be a longer wait to get imported .....but definitely more interesting

Inspiration

Inspiration
Beautiful build, but after going similar route with a 3rd gen 4runner 10 years ago.....I learned my lesson lol in pic, my old yota and it's replacement

FB_IMG_1502771293947.jpg

IMG-20201205-WA0017.jpg

Beautiful build, but after going similar route with a 3rd gen 4runner 10 years ago.....I learned my lesson lol in pic, my old yota and it's replacement

View attachment 3038867

View attachment 3038868
Lol totally, I am a fan of jeeps as well.

It's not just the vehicle it's the owners. Jeep owners know how to have fun. They build it big , break it, and do it again. Cruiser owners are living in constant paranoia due to a forum that someone posted about another potential problem.

The 100 is a touring rig, basically a station wagon. Reliable for sure and can get you into and out of most situations, but I always wonder why people are pushing to lift and build them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom