TLCA / TAC Event 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tornadoalleycruiser

Erik TLCA #5303
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.com
To get the ball rolling I'll start..
Next year is the 30th Anniversary of the Toyota Land Cruiser Association. I've talked with many club members and the idea of a National event to bring TLCA members to the midwest and show how awesome TAC is has come up.

My thoughts and I want input,

A family event, not necessarily a just hard core wheeling event
Trout fishing
Canoeing
Cave exploration
a 4x4 class for those that want to lean
cabins, tent sites, RV parking, hotels close etc
Catering for the dinner
place to hold a raffle
Places to wheel, Both mild and wild
A possible parade or a show and shine type of event?
Scott P tells me there is a mine close that might offer tours?
Bunch of ya also told me there is a prison there? Hmm :)

I think this can be a great time to show the TLCA we thank you for being there, we can give back to all the other clubs that have put on an event as well. I want this to be a family type of event, but still offer trails for the hardcore guys as well. Many (most) TLCA members are not wanting to go out and do a hard trail thus the 4x4 class and simple trails..
By trying to offer other activities I think we can draw out the TLCA members that would want to get involved but are possibly leary of going to an event and not feeling comfortable because their truck is not sprung over on 55" tractor tires with the hovercraft engine keeping it upright..

Anyway my thoughts on a national event..
The possible location is http://www.sayersbrook.com/
Wheeling is on site, they also host (Cough) the Jeep Jamboree, they offer catering, have a meeting place, have a classroom etc..

Chef, Casey and myself are planning on going out to check the place out over the 4th weekend..

What says the group? It will require a lot of work, many offered to assit.
We'll need volunteers during the event to sell raffle tickets, help call vendors to get stuff, tshirts, stickers, etc!

Input everyone.. Let's make this a fun time for all!

Event Name

First, a name. What about Heartland TLCA Family Reunion?
Bread Basket Family Gathering...
Something catchy that will communicate the "family friendly" intent of the event.
C.V.

What would be cool about this event is I could attend even if we had another kid next year. All I'd have to do is load up the camper behind the 80. Stop in Wyoming at my folks for awhile, stop in Wisconsin to visit Ginger's folks, head to the TLCA event and then repeat the process going home. Heck maybe I'd get the BHCC under my belt on the way home?

Time of year for an event?

Keep em coming..
Float trip areas close would be great.. But we'll visit that later after a few of us visit the facilites.. I"m pretty sure the ranch will know most of this stuff.

Since I've not got little ones, I gotta ask the group.. :confused:
Time of year.. I know Fall in the Ozarks would be absolutely beautiful weather and the trees changing, wineries etc would be awesome but would parents pull their kids out of school to do an event like this?
We also have to contend with the other TLCA events during the summer
Currently the TLCA events we need to be aware of are
---------
Black Hills Cruiser Classic
When: July 27-31, 2004
Where: Black Hills of South Dakota
------------
Cruise Moab
When: May 4-8, 2005
Where: Moab Utah
-----------
Great Smoky Mountain Trail Ride
When: May 18-21, 2005
Where: Cherokee National Forest
Host: Southeast Toyota Land Cruiser Association
--------------
Lone Star Cruiser Roundup
When: March 10-13, 2005
Where: Katemcy, Texas
--------------
Razorback Ramble
When: June 4-6, 2004
Where: Hot Springs, Arkansas
------------------
Coal Mine Cruiser Classic
When: June 24-26, 2005
Where: Paragon Adventure Park; Hazelton, PA
-----------------

Most of the other events are not really an issue as they are super far away and I don't think we'll be competing for attendance.. All that said, I'm hoping we can draw a different type of TLCA member to our event..

So my ? to the group is obtaining your thoughts on what part of the year would be best to pull the kids out and bring em to an event..

---------------------
T shirt and sticker ideas will have to wait for now, we (the TLCA) have a 30th anniversary committe that's working on a 30th logo which woudl be best incorporated into the Tshirt and or stickers.. So Charlie! you get a bit more time! :D

Awesome name contest idea.. Charlie.. Keep em coming we can do a poll and send a prize out to the winner or a free registration or something!

I will ask Dave Brown to send me a packet.. He helps to organize Cruise Moab and has the event down to a science now via a help manual he's put together..

Anyone know of any wineries in the area? Not sure how far it is to Rocheport from there.. Another idea.. If the train thru the area that would be awesome!

I tend to ramble on so cut and paste at will your thoughts! I'm just thinking out loud! :beer:

Again.. If anyone is interested in visiting the place with Chef, Casey and I over the 4th of July weekend my phone# is in the front of the trails.. Well, so is Chef's and Casey's so if ya don't wanna call me! :eek:
I plan on having Crashing at Chef's on Friday night and pretty sure Casey's coming down as well..
I know Gary's wife Elizabeth had mentioned possibly taggin along.. We'd love to have ya!

Erik C..

Thanks for the sticky Rech!

Here is a site that has some info on the region, camp grounds, canoeing, etc. I haven't had the chance to dig too deep, but will take a look. I know that Elephant rock s.p. and Johnson Shut-ins are awesome places for family stuff. Kids get to play on the rocks and in the river. We could even have an orienteering event at Elephant rock. I think both places are within 30 min. south of Potosi. http://www.missouriozarks.org/parks.html

It's not likely we'll make it down there over the fourth as it's nigh impossible for me to get off work over major holidays, everybody else wants off too. If this follows the other events as far as length, some people might like to do it over the labor day weekend as a last summer fling before fall and the school year. It also looks like nothing is going on in August or most of July.

As far pulling kids out of school I don't think a couple days would be too big a deal for most folks.

Seems like October is when things start picking up again for wheel'n in the this area so maybe mid to late Sept to mid-Oct would be something to shoot for....Not sure when the fall foliage turns in that area.

IF and only IF the area your scouting on the 4th doesn't pan out there are alot of canoeing and rafting areas around Cass, AR on the Mulberry River. There used to be a scenic train from Ft. Smith (I think) to Van Buren with a lay over in Van Buren for lunch and seems like 100+ antigue and gift shops in a historic downtown area. Been 10 years or so since I was there last????

Highway 23 (Pig Trail Highway) is great for fall foliage tour in mid October (for those that can drive on the highway that is :flipoff2: )

And of course lots of wheel'n in the National Forest.

Wish I could make the 4th, but I just received tickets to both the Indy and Craftsman Truck series races Saturday and Sunday (also have couple extra if somebody could use them).
CV

Dates

Some ideas - Since next year is the 30th anniversary and a new event for TAC/TLCA, I propose that we continue to shoot for a second or third weekend event in June inspite of the many other TLCA events planned.

Note #1 - Indeed the event is designed to attract a slightly different crowd than the other "hardcore" wheeling events currently planned.
Note #2 - As this is the first attempt at a family oriented event, a summer (preferrably early summer) event is recommended if we want to see what the interest is in a family style event.
Note #3 - As the 30th Anniversary is a special one time event, we can explore other time periods in subsequent years - ie. try a fall date for 2007 etc. to see if it would still attract families with children.

I think it is important to give every opportunity for a new event to be successfull the first time around. For a family event, it would seem a summer time event when children would most likely be out of school is our best bet. I am all for exploring future possibilities of a fall foliage event as a second or third year alternative to a specifically TAC sponsored event, but would like for us to shoot for the best possibility of attracting families this first time around.

Just my two cents worth.

CV

The only comment related to dat ethat I have is to watch out for Fathers Day weekend. Could be a positve or a negative.

This year at least, the fact it was a father's day weekend was a positive - gave more pull to have the wife and kids to attend the picnic with me!
cv

"sprung over on 55" tractor tires with the hovercraft engine keeping it upright"

droool

I also agree with a June date. It is very difficult for the older kids to catch up on school work when absent. Sorry I have to take a hard line on missing school. Summer is vacation time and my father in law was thrilled to have his Father's Day a week early! If water recreation is on the list we want warm weather.

Eric - Got a report on your visit to the east side over the 4th? Any concerns as you look over the place?
C.Vreeland

New pics in the Sanctioned event section.. Go look and vote..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom