TLCA Raffle Truck build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Correction: It has a stock manifold, but not the so called thermonuclear stock CA manifold...those unfortunately are unobtainium.

Ah, that's too bad. They're required equipment to be smog-legal along the front range of Colorado, although as a practical matter most of the zombies at Colorado AIR care wouldn't know an EGR if it smacked 'em in the face. But, it had passed CARB if I recall correctly. I wonder how? Same thing maybe? I remember when I was getting my 60 tested last time (we have to go every 2 years) the tech looked at the distributor side and then passed it for the presence of smog pump. Of course they were actually looking at the A/C compressor.

:bounce:

(Thermonuclear manifold's are) required equipment to be smog-legal along the front range of Colorado, although as a practical matter most of the zombies at Colorado AIR care wouldn't know an EGR if it smacked 'em in the face.

I'd be surprised if that were true. Even in CA they are no longer required since most of them have cracked their way to the scrap metal heap.

I'd be surprised if that were true. Even in CA they are no longer required since most of them have cracked their way to the scrap metal heap.

Then be surprised. The Democratically controlled Colorado legislature have passed and Democratic Governor has signed bill after bill in recent years to move Colorado more aligned with CARB when it comes to everything from emissions to "safety" equipment. Politically, Colorado is a tale of two places - the liberal urban swaths of metropolitan Denver and Boulder, versus the common-sense mountain countryside I live in, along with the conservative farming Eastern plains and the farmlands of the western slope. The high density cities of Denver and Boulder always win out.

Bottom line is, they (political elite) want the populace to either ride bicycles, ride a bus or a light rail, or heaven forbid have to use a "personal vehicle" be an EV or hybrid.

Bottom line is, unless this raffle truck has an EGR, it isn't legal in any of the AIR-program areas of Colorado along the front range.

Yea, but the thermal reactor (TR) manifold is not related to the EGR. I have a working EGR connected to a later-model manifold. EGR is required by CA, but the TR is virtually unobtainable, and CA has deemed them as such and removed them from the list of required equipment. Smog-legal headers also have an EGR connection.

Yea, but the thermal reactor (TR) manifold is not related to the EGR. I have a working EGR connected to a later-model manifold. EGR is required by CA, but the TR is virtually unobtainable, and CA has deemed them as such and removed them from the list of required equipment. Smog-legal headers also have an EGR connection.

Ummm. yeah it is related. Look at the picture of my Kalifornia spec manifold (right by the #6 cylinder outlet) and note the EGR connection...

I don't know what CARB has done to relax from their previously infamous intractable inflexibility regarding non-stockness, but I know from first hand experience the People's Republik of Kolorado's smog Nazis want everything that isn't a bicycle or EV or maybe a hybrid off the roads. If there is a part or assembly that came from the factory that isn't available any more, and you don't have one on your rig, well that is just tough. You don't pass and you can't get plates.

p1325.jpg

Jeff,
I think his point is that the thremonuclear reactor isn't part of the EGR system, which, your picture confirms it is not. All stock manifolds on emissions equipped truck have an EGR and it is not related or unique to the Cali-spec exhaust manifold.

Sorry to hear about your state's strict requirements. Don't let that stop you from buying a ticket since you could turn the truck around with a quickness for a good profit.

The only way the smog guys know you need a "TR" is the sticker under the hood. I'm pretty sure the serial number does not indicate it was originally a CA model. So if you get a federal hood sticker, you could use a manifold from another 2f.

Believe me I know what they look like.

carb_0017_sm-jpg.121037

Okay, the exhaust is now mounted and the truck has been tuned based on its current state (de-smogged, just as it came to us). We have the Federal spec emission systems components in boxes that will go with the truck. This includes an air rail, EGR and smog pump and associated piping/tubing (except the fabric section) and the vacuum switches and control units. We do not know if the smog components are functioning because the motor they were removed from was seized.

The exhaust was routed above the skid plate and out the driver side behind the rear tire. It has a new Flowmaster muffler and new CAT.

One thing we noted when Ryan was tuning the truck...we have a leak that appears to be at the manifold/carb. We need to investigate this further.

The battery is dead and has to be replaced. It was charged multiple times overnight and will not hold a charge.

Also, I noted that the plastic tip on the turn signal lever has been broken off, so we will have to replace the switch/lever.

Other remaining items are:

- Purchase and install cotter pins in all 8 shock nuts
- Locate and install a horn
- Locate and install a parking brake switch
- Locate and install 15 matching chrome, acorn style 19mm lug nuts (we have half chrome and half black/rust colored nuts, plus we need three for the spare)
- Locate and install a passenger side roll bar junction plate (the one we have is bent)
- Locate and install a 12v power outlet in the dash pocket
- Install the aftermarket choke (I purchased it and left it in the truck)
- Procure and install a Tachometer to fill the hole left by a PO
- Locate a wheel for the new spare BFG 31x10.5-R15 AT spare tire
- Locate and install a dome light
- Install the remaining radiator support rod provided by Shmukster
- Locate and install a hood support rod
- Locate brackets and install the 4Wheel Drive insignia
- Install the windshield hood bumpers
- Hook-up the Fasten Seatbelt warning light
- Tighten the interior rear view mirror
- Check and tighten as needed all remaining hard top bolts (I purchased the 4 missing bolts for the windshield to hardtop brackets)
- Bolt down the air cleaner (missing one 8mm bolt)
- Consolidate and pack extra emissions components
- Procure 2 x 2-1/2" u-bolts with nuts and a metal bracket and install the fire extinguisher
- ???

That's all I can think of without having the truck to look over.

Last edited:
I already purchased a choke cable and was going to expense it along with the bill for the gas for the tow rig and the exhaust. I guess I can return it if you come up with one. Let me know so I can collect that one before it gets misplaced.

in a couple of weeks, i'll have the horns from an 80 series available. not period correct for the purist, but at least they're land cruiser ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom