TLCA Official 2021 Rubithon Huft's Thursday Morning Breakfast Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For anyone driving up from the Sacramento area on Wednesday the 23rd, depending on the heat that day I will be heading up from the Antelope area up to the Ice House Resort. Plan on leaving mid-morning in an effort to beat the heat. Would love to caravan with anyone else heading up.

I’ll be heading up Wednesday from the Walnut Creek area, heading for Ice House Resort as well. Want to get there well before dark…..

That is impressive! Did you make it? If not, who is? It looks really nice.
The skid plate is courtesy of Jason at Trail Tailor in Redding, CA.

Last edited:
I can absolutely make a space for those !

I'll be leaving my truck/trailer at the end of the trail on Wednesday, due to the road closure on the Tahoma staging area during the week, what is the plan for those leaving trailers at the end of the trail? Options look like Blackwood Campground or Barker Pass? I would like to stage and exit the trail at the same place as the rest of group if possible.

I'll be leaving my truck/trailer at the end of the trail on Wednesday, due to the road closure on the Tahoma staging area during the week, what is the plan for those leaving trailers at the end of the trail? Options look like Blackwood Campground or Barker Pass? I would like to stage and exit the trail at the same place as the rest of group if possible.
This page:
has a lot of good info about the parking issues and locations.

Excellent. I will contact you Friday once I know times
I'm heading out to the Mendocino Forest early tomorrow Friday but feel free to call me, 415-720-5194, and you can drop at my place in Concord. I should have service until about 1400 on Friday.

Thanks !!

Hope everyone had a good time and made it out safe without any issues. We ended up bouncing just after the kids raffle and were airing up at the staging area by 10:15pm!

I'm heading out to the Mendocino Forest early tomorrow Friday but feel free to call me, 415-720-5194, and you can drop at my place in Concord. I should have service until about 1400 on Friday.

Thanks !!

You were there and didn’t introduce yourself…

Dude….

93E2D747-DB1B-420B-949F-EFAC1F5AB45F.jpeg
Group shot of the crew that departed the Springs at 6am on Sunday. I had a fantastic time and I don’t think my 4 yr old has ever had so much fun. Thanks everyone for letting this Jeep guy tag along and extra thanks to @bflynn1717 and @530cruzer for helping me out after blowing the bead on my tire on day 1. Already can’t wait until next year!

- Garrett

You were there and didn’t introduce yourself…

Dude….
Well, not exactly there….you will read the ‘rest of the story’ in a bit……

Im super disappointed if you were there and didn’t say hi. Man, Jonathan.
You know that if I was there I would have come and found you….stand by grasshopper !

Firstly, for those of you on Huff’s run who didn’t hear ‘the rest of the story’, here’s the readers digest version of my calamity:

I‘m sure most of you saw, and smelled, my radiator take a dump on the road just before I turned off. The lower radiator hose had split, about a 2” gash. After you all headed on your way, Brian, our trusty tailgunner, headed back to Pollock Pines to find a replacement hose bearing in mind I have a V8 swap so the hose is not standard and not sitting on the shelf somewhere.

Brian returned a couple of hours later with 6 gals of antifreeze and a hose that he/we hoped could work. After about 15 mins of wrestling with this hose, I called it quits since I simply could not get this hose to work without kinking; it just didn’t have the right bends in the right places. I told Brian to leave and he went on his way hoping to catch up to you all, I think he did ?

At about this same time, an older guy in a truck who works patrol for the local lumber companies shows up and offers to drive me a 1/2 mile back up the hill so I can get cell svc and call AAA; there was no cell svc where I stopped. I eventually get AAA on the way and 2 hours later they show up.

The older guy, Fred is his name, also tells me to have the AAA guy drop me at his home in Placerville since he has a big space, a workshop and shade for me to work under.

Linéa and I eventually get scooped up by AAA and dropped at Fred’s house at about 1600. Fred is home to greet us and after we drop the car, he offers to drive me to the local Napa store in Placerville. After about 30 mins in the Napa store, I emerge with a hose that I think I can make work; it’s waaaaay tooooo long but seems to have the requisite bends in almost the right places.

I get working under the car back at Fred’s place and after about an hour, and after some very fine cutting and trimming, I get the hose on, the antifreeze in and the motor running.

It’s about 1745 now and we say goodbye to Fred and his wife Michelle and head East on 50; they have told us about the Sly Park Campground just beyond Pollock Pines so we head for that.

We check in, find a great quiet deserted camp spot and jump into Jenkinson Lake, the local lake that surrounds the campground. We are so dirty, and I’m still wearing antifreeze from being under my rig, so the water feels outstanding. We cook, eat and crash; Thursday is DONE !

Friday we head towards Tahoe since we were meant to join up with some friends on Saturday, after we completed Rubicon, who have a cabin in the Homewood area. They cannot get there ‘till Saturday so now we have some time to kill. We decide to head for Ellis Peak which is essentially above where all of you end up at the Rubicon McKinney trailhead.

And this is where we camped….

6752266E-3CF9-495B-A3EA-05EA89DAED09.jpeg

The photo does not do this place justice but it’s safe to say, this is the most awesome campsite we have ever discovered and stayed at !

Saturday we headed back down the hill and into Tahoe to meet with our friends. Sunday I drove my buddy Terry back to the trailhead to show him some of the trucks coming off the trail……..and that’s when I had the good fortune of running into some of you again and hearing the ‘war stories’. From those who I talked to, it sounds like a great time was had by all and Linéa and I are sorely disappointed that we couldn’t hang with you; our time spent with you all was far too brief !

I would be remiss if I didn’t send a huge shoutout and THANK YOU to our leader Doug, Brian for running all over town, Fred and Michelle for putting up with us, Linéa for putting up with all my shenanigans and you the MUD community who make all of this mayhem possible.…and FUN !

jonathan and Linéa

Firstly, for those of you on Huff’s run who didn’t hear ‘the rest of the story’, here’s the readers digest version of my calamity:

I‘m sure most of you saw, and smelled, my radiator take a dump on the road just before I turned off. The lower radiator hose had split, about a 2” gash. After you all headed on your way, Brian, our trusty tailgunner, headed back to Pollock Pines to find a replacement hose bearing in mind I have a V8 swap so the hose is not standard and not sitting on the shelf somewhere.

Brian returned a couple of hours later with 6 gals of antifreeze and a hose that he/we hoped could work. After about 15 mins of wrestling with this hose, I called it quits since I simply could not get this hose to work without kinking; it just didn’t have the right bends in the right places. I told Brian to leave and he went on his way hoping to catch up to you all, I think he did ?

At about this same time, an older guy in a truck who works patrol for the local lumber companies shows up and offers to drive me a 1/2 mile back up the hill so I can get cell svc and call AAA; there was no cell svc where I stopped. I eventually get AAA on the way and 2 hours later they show up.

The older guy, Fred is his name, also tells me to have the AAA guy drop me at his home in Placerville since he has a big space, a workshop and shade for me to work under.

Linéa and I eventually get scooped up by AAA and dropped at Fred’s house at about 1600. Fred is home to greet us and after we drop the car, he offers to drive me to the local Napa store in Placerville. After about 30 mins in the Napa store, I emerge with a hose that I think I can make work; it’s waaaaay tooooo long but seems to have the requisite bends in almost the right places.

I get working under the car back at Fred’s place and after about an hour, and after some very fine cutting and trimming, I get the hose on, the antifreeze in and the motor running.

It’s about 1745 now and we say goodbye to Fred and his wife Michelle and head East on 50; they have told us about the Sly Park Campground just beyond Pollock Pines so we head for that.

We check in, find a great quiet deserted camp spot and jump into Jenkinson Lake, the local lake that surrounds the campground. We are so dirty, and I’m still wearing antifreeze from being under my rig, so the water feels outstanding. We cook, eat and crash; Thursday is DONE !

Friday we head towards Tahoe since we were meant to join up with some friends on Saturday, after we completed Rubicon, who have a cabin in the Homewood area. They cannot get there ‘till Saturday so now we have some time to kill. We decide to head for Ellis Peak which is essentially above where all of you end up at the Rubicon McKinney trailhead.

View attachment 2717777

The photo does not do this place justice but it’s safe to say, this is the most awesome campsite we have ever discovered and stayed at !

Saturday we headed back down the hill and into Tahoe to meet with our friends. Sunday I drove my buddy Terry back to the trailhead to show him some of the trucks coming off the trail……..and that’s when I had the good fortune of running into some of you again and hearing the ‘war stories’. From those who I talked to, it sounds like a great time was had by all and Linéa and I are sorely disappointed that we couldn’t hang with you; our time spent with you all was far too brief !

I would be remiss if I didn’t send a huge shoutout and THANK YOU to our leader Doug, Brian for running all over town, Fred and Michelle for putting up with us, Linéa for putting up with all my shenanigans and you the MUD community who make all of this mayhem possible.…and FUN !

jonathan and Linéa
That's not a bad consolation run at all. Sounds like you still managed to have a pretty good time, all considered.

:cheers:

View attachment 2717777

jonathan and Linéa
Glad to hear you guys figured it all out. I’m sorry our initial attempt ended up failing. But it does sound like something was eventually salvaged out of the trip. I’ve been up to Ellis peak before and it’s amazing. Also, I did receive the Venmo. Thank you. I will be laundering that money straight into my FJ40 engine swap!🤘🏻🤣

Glad to have met everyone on the trail. Makena and I had a blast and she is vying for next year's spot in place of her sister. I was pleasantly surprised at how well our rig did on and off the trail. Called Powermaster and they said I have to run a 500ohm resistor on my dummy wire to the alternator. I will be sorting that our shortly. We were able to drive all the way home to Santa Cruz Sunday night, after the temps cooled down. Thanks for everyone that gave us a spot and made it such a memorable trip, and can't wait to see you all next year!

Peter Hansen
IMG_5618.JPG
IMG_5446.JPG
IMG_5594.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom