TLCA Official 2021 Rubithon Huft's Thursday Morning Breakfast Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the the official 2021 Rubithon Thursday Breakfast Morning thread.

I am looking forward to meeting you all on this years trip. My name is Doug, I will be leading the run this year with my co-driver Dominik aged 16 and my 5 year old daughter( and 4 year Rubithon Veteran) Isabella.

Brian Flynn will be co-leading, you might call him the "tailgunner". He is very experienced and is a medic.

I have driven this trail a bunch of times in a both a mini truck and in my 80 series. The 80 I will be driving is setup in a pretty typical fashion with 3" of lift, 35" tires, 4.88 difs.,low t case gears, front and rear lockers, all the requisite armor, dents, winch, snorkel, fridge, tools.

This will be a traditional Loon entrance to the main Rubicon Trail. This unique run has a pre-paid private breakfast at the Ice House Resort before we start the trail. The breakfast is scheduled to start at 0800. We ask that we all get there early as in 0700 so that we can do the the tech inspections and insurance paperwork early and be able to hit the road right after breakfast. If you are not at Ice House by the time breakfast is finished we will be moving on. If you are not at Loon Lake by 0900 we will be moving on. If you arrive late and feel comfortable on the trail by yourself feel free to hit the trail and catch up.

There are a few "motel room" cabins at the resort, some RV spots and a tent camping area. The rooms are way rustic but "OK".

I usually fuel up at fresh pond before the turnoff to ice house road. Topping off at ice house is not a bad idea (be prepared to spend $10 a gallon). I will pack a Jerry can just in case, though after topping off at Ice House and driving straight through and exiting at Tahoma I have never needed to dip into a Jerry can.

Our first day's destination will be Buck Island Lake were we will camp. On group runs like this we will be taking the easier lines and getting everyone there safely. I will do everything that I can to get us there early enough to have some down time and a swim before dark. With a sizeable group it is important to keep things moving and stay in our rigs for short stops. a prepacked lunch is a great idea.
Friday we will continue on to Rubicon Springs where folks will typically scatter and find a camp spot. At that point the official word is that the group run is complete and we are all on our own for camping. Groups often stay together to camp and some of us will do that but it is not required.
Sunday everyone mostly exits up Cadillac Hill, there is a local 4x4 club that provides assistance.

The Rubithon signup page will list mandatory safety and recovery gear that you will need, as well as equipment requirements. If you're running the minimum of 33's and a 2.5" lift, You should have serious armor and a strong passenger to stack rocks.
Make sure a heavy strap (no hooks on the end) and a fire extinguisher are readily accessible. I like the strap on the passenger floor board so I'm not hunting for it or dealing with a swing out bumper while in a precarious situation.
I will walk around camp and offer a wrench so that everyone can check their knuckle studs before during and after each day on the trail. If you are driving an 80, I do have some tips for mechanical preparation, sway bar advice, etc. I do carry specific parts for an 80 series such as a steering box, birfield and all the parts to repair a knuckle/studs (minus the actual knuckle), tie rod ends and a spark plug repair kit (don't ask).

We will be using 2m Ham for our communications, most likely 146.400. I recommend obtaining a license but don't let that stop you from picking up a radio. I have Baofeng hand held, they are inexpensive. I have a file (chirp) that can be uploaded to the radio which I can share ahead of time. It is very easy if you have a sync cable.

If you have made it and read down this far. ;) It would be nice to get to know each other a little better before joining up on the trail. This is a good place for introductions, to ask questions, and get answers.

Doug
AKA Devil's Slide Doug

Doug,

Thanks for posting ! I should be signed up based on me rolling my 2020 entry over into 2021, pls confirm I’m on your list. If so, I’m assuming I will need to reup for another year at TLCA ?

Jonathan and Linéa

I dont handle registration at all. ADick Thompson should be able to confirm things

Thanks, I’ll confirm with him then.....

There are not a lot of “easier lines”. Depending on how your truck is built you can take any line you want that works for you. Due to the size of the group, we won’t have time to wait for you to play at at a spot. We also prefer not to hold up the group doing repairs to your vehicle that may have been avoidable. If you decide to take the route through little sluice or true old sluice or play at soup bowl, I will not stop you but you will be on your own at that point.

okay! sounds good! i just had a full axle rebuild with chromoly axles bearings seals. upgraded to 37 so it should be a good time.

Hi Doug,

Although I'm a Jeep owner I run around with a couple friends with FJ40s, they talked up this trip and I decided to give it a go so I can run the Rubicon with them. I'll have my father and 4 year old son with me. Looking forward to meeting everyone, running the trail, and hearing all the Jeep jokes sure to come my way (its OK, I can take it!).

Garrett

Hi Doug,

Although I'm a Jeep owner I run around with a couple friends with FJ40s, they talked up this trip and I decided to give it a go so I can run the Rubicon with them. I'll have my father and 4 year old son with me. Looking forward to meeting everyone, running the trail, and hearing all the Jeep jokes sure to come my way (its OK, I can take it!).

Garrett

FAB070B1-F398-41F8-B3C6-AE89C6891017.jpeg

I have owned two Tundra's so that should help put me in good graces with the Toyota gods :), plus my wife thinks 530cruzer's FJ40 is way cooler than the Jeep.

Last edited:
As long as your jeep meets the technical requirements and the Chairman (Dick Ryan gives you his blessing for a Non-Toyota) "run what you brung". Obviously, potential spare parts pools and mechanical assistance could be a little more challenging at a Toyota event verses a jeep event.

This will be my first time on the Rubicon. I’ll be hauling my mini crawler from Indiana. I plan to pick up my old college buddy Brett in Sacramento and we will be up at Icehouse on Wens night. My plan to is meet some new friends and enjoy the trail. Monday after the trip I’m headed to Moab for a two day around White Rim and then back home.

If I understand correctly, there will be some time to experience the trail some while in the springs portion.

Very much looking forward to this trip and meeting everyone.

Keep an eye out for Croc the Crawler. Thats me.

E28C8BFF-E274-458E-AED1-54CA05FC11E9.jpeg

I have owned two Tundra's so that should help put me in good graces with the Toyota gods :), plus my wife thinks 530cruzer's FJ40 is way cooler than the Jeep.
My family had 3 Jeep’s over the years. I still have dreams of a built Scrambler.... Have you tried the low range in your Tundra? It’s actually slower than my Tcase geared 80.

This is the the official 2021 Rubithon Thursday Breakfast Morning thread.

I am looking forward to meeting you all on this years trip. My name is Doug, I will be leading the run this year with my co-driver Dominik aged 16 and my 5 year old daughter( and 4 year Rubithon Veteran) Isabella.

Brian Flynn will be co-leading, you might call him the "tailgunner". He is very experienced and is a medic.

I have driven this trail a bunch of times in a both a mini truck and in my 80 series. The 80 I will be driving is setup in a pretty typical fashion with 3" of lift, 35" tires, 4.88 difs.,low t case gears, front and rear lockers, all the requisite armor, dents, winch, snorkel, fridge, tools.

This will be a traditional Loon entrance to the main Rubicon Trail. This unique run has a pre-paid private breakfast at the Ice House Resort before we start the trail. The breakfast is scheduled to start at 0800. We ask that we all get there early as in 0700 so that we can do the the tech inspections and insurance paperwork early and be able to hit the road right after breakfast. If you are not at Ice House by the time breakfast is finished we will be moving on. If you are not at Loon Lake by 0900 we will be moving on. If you arrive late and feel comfortable on the trail by yourself feel free to hit the trail and catch up.

There are a few "motel room" cabins at the resort, some RV spots and a tent camping area. The rooms are way rustic but "OK".

I usually fuel up at fresh pond before the turnoff to ice house road. Topping off at ice house is not a bad idea (be prepared to spend $10 a gallon). I will pack a Jerry can just in case, though after topping off at Ice House and driving straight through and exiting at Tahoma I have never needed to dip into a Jerry can.

Our first day's destination will be Buck Island Lake were we will camp. On group runs like this we will be taking the easier lines and getting everyone there safely. I will do everything that I can to get us there early enough to have some down time and a swim before dark. With a sizeable group it is important to keep things moving and stay in our rigs for short stops. a prepacked lunch is a great idea.
Friday we will continue on to Rubicon Springs where folks will typically scatter and find a camp spot. At that point the official word is that the group run is complete and we are all on our own for camping. Groups often stay together to camp and some of us will do that but it is not required.
Sunday everyone mostly exits up Cadillac Hill, there is a local 4x4 club that provides assistance.

The Rubithon signup page will list mandatory safety and recovery gear that you will need, as well as equipment requirements. If you're running the minimum of 33's and a 2.5" lift, You should have serious armor and a strong passenger to stack rocks.
Make sure a heavy strap (no hooks on the end) and a fire extinguisher are readily accessible. I like the strap on the passenger floor board so I'm not hunting for it or dealing with a swing out bumper while in a precarious situation.
I will walk around camp and offer a wrench so that everyone can check their knuckle studs before during and after each day on the trail. If you are driving an 80, I do have some tips for mechanical preparation, sway bar advice, etc. I do carry specific parts for an 80 series such as a steering box, birfield and all the parts to repair a knuckle/studs (minus the actual knuckle), tie rod ends and a spark plug repair kit (don't ask).

We will be using 2m Ham for our communications, most likely 146.400. I recommend obtaining a license but don't let that stop you from picking up a radio. I have Baofeng hand held, they are inexpensive. I have a file (chirp) that can be uploaded to the radio which I can share ahead of time. It is very easy if you have a sync cable.

If you have made it and read down this far. ;) It would be nice to get to know each other a little better before joining up on the trail. This is a good place for introductions, to ask questions, and get answers.

Doug
AKA Devil's Slide Doug
Thanks for the post up Doug. Whats the sequence of events on Thursday morning and timing? I plan to leave the tow rig at Icehouse and will be unloaded Wednesday night and ready for the fun Thursday. I assume everyone meets for breakfast and then truck check out?

My family had 3 Jeep’s over the years. I still have dreams of a built Scrambler.... Have you tried the low range in your Tundra? It’s actually slower than my Tcase geared 80.
Sadly I had to sell my last Tundra two years ago. I would’ve upgraded to another one but with two kids I needed the crew max cab and Toyota doesn’t offer it with anything longer than a 5.5’ bed which is just too small for me.

Thanks for the post up Doug. Whats the sequence of events on Thursday morning and timing? I plan to leave the tow rig at Icehouse and will be unloaded Wednesday night and ready for the fun Thursday. I assume everyone meets for breakfast and then truck check out?
The breakfast is scheduled to start at 0800. We ask that we all get there early as in 0700 so that we can do the the tech inspections and insurance paperwork early and be able to hit the road right after breakfast. If you are not at Ice House by the time breakfast is finished we will be moving on. If you are not at Loon Lake by 0900 we will be moving on. If you arrive late and feel comfortable on the trail by yourself feel free to hit the trail and catch up.

The breakfast is scheduled to start at 0800. We ask that we all get there early as in 0700 so that we can do the the tech inspections and insurance paperwork early and be able to hit the road right after breakfast. If you are not at Ice House by the time breakfast is finished we will be moving on. If you are not at Loon Lake by 0900 we will be moving on. If you arrive late and feel comfortable on the trail by yourself feel free to hit the trail and catch up.
I’ll be there with bells on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom