TLCA Board Nominations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Friends...

As noted in Trails, the positions of Executive VP, Secretary, Western Individual Rep and Easternl Individual Rep are up this year and nominations are currently open. These are TLCA Voting Board positions, with a term of two years.

Any Active TLCA Member can nominate themselves or someone else who they feel would do an outstanding job for the association. If you are nominating someone, please confirm with them in advance.

Often folks shy away from these roles due to confidence or concerns about participating at the Board level. Please do not let this stop you... everyone currently on the Board is actually human with feelings, emotions, skills and talents.

Eric Vogt and Paul E, would you please note your intentions for next year? Not to put you on the spot about continuing at the board level, but often folks will not try to unseat an incumbent unless they owe them parts or money.... or know for sure they are not running again.

I chatted with Erik C and he is on the fence, and I have not heard from Bruce L or know if he is active in this forum.

Please give this some thought and thanks for your time.

Tony,

I am NOT nominating myself (at least not yet :D)... However, I, and probably most others out here, don't have any idea what running for, or holding one of these offices entails. Could you post some details of "typical job duties," time commitment involved, expense required (or compensation provided), etc.

Other than they occasional grumblings that generally unhappy people post to this and other boards, I've not heard much about what it means to be "on the Board".

Thanks in advance.

Mike

sure Mike... I'll give it a stab.

first and foremost is BOD Meeting attendance where active participation is encouraged in discussions and disposition of various topics that come before the board. This can include daily activities such as running the business of TLCA (addressing member comments or questions or ideas), routine tasks such as AR and AP, annual tasks such as contract administration and such. There are 4 to 6 regular meetings and 1 or 2 special meetings to attend, these are phone conference where you dial in to attend. That would be the minimum. Often, you'll find yourself involved in other tasks or committees assembled to work out the details on specific efforts... basically, as much as you want to volunteer will be sucked up and probably more.

Secretary has a fair amount of additional work load with prompt creation of the minutes although we have worked hard to pare those minutes down to the actual motion and results. Also involved in meeting notification and agenda prep.

The EVP is heavily involved with TLCA Sponsored events, verification of estimates and actuals, helping folks get through the TLCA type requirements and host successful events. Also, the calendar and web site updates.

The IRs primarily deal with individual members but most have found this to be an extremely small task. Basically, its what you make of it although I have some plans to involve the reps a bit more with chapters in their areas. Usually IRs are tasked with committee work, any foreign member questions, and stuff like that.

There is really no expense.... there is really no compensation.

Understand, while I have served as Secretary, Western IR, and MSVP for a half term... I am really not qualified to dictate what the roles really are. The TLCA by laws on our site www.tlca.org has formal job descriptions. I can tell anyone interested that you do have time to handle the job, the question really is how much additional time can you, or do you, want to give. Any other BOD members care to add some input here?

I'm really enjoying it. There are good folks on the Board and active in the meetings and its been fun, productive and has a sense of accomplishment.

so what role did you nominate yourself for?? (joking) :D

Tony

Eric has confirmed he will not be running again.

Jennifer Lorincz has been nominated as a candidate for his EVP role.

I am also on the fence at this time. It may be time to get new ideas into the BOD.
However I will not let the TLCA down

I nominate Woody

:D

Actually I would not have a problem with western IR..

As Tony has done a great job with this thread...
I just want to add that TLCA is doing well and we need some new folks to fill these positions. This is a great opportunity to participate in TLCA and get to know a fine group of people.
Happy Trails! N

I always say 'its family and career first, then TLCA'.

Eric, if you slacked off on TLCA duties because of your family or career, then you're excused. Period.

Henry B. once noted that working for any volunteer organization is like standing next to a vacuum, it will suck up every minute of time and ounce of energy if you let it.

The most important job in this entire association is that of each member.... joining, participating or simply receiving Trails.